• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Listen to our very own Chris King discuss the Character Database in upcoming Crusader Kings II in more detail. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;T05xZE0AA8g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T05xZE0AA8g[/video]​

Read more about the game: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/crusader-kings-ii

Check out the latest Crusader Kings II developments:
Web page: http://www.crusaderkings.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Crusaderkings
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Crusaderkings
Forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/

Read the written developer diaries here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?306-crusader-kings-2

Nice ! It will be nice to see the whole of my country and the accurate naming system.

Thanks for the answer.

Now I also wonder, since you can start at any date in CK2, is there a chance that Iceland will be playable in the game ? It was not a king/dukedom or a county, it was a democracy at the time. At least officially, but in the era around 1180-1250, in the sturlungaöld, a few clans had massed the goðorðs (the "MPs seats") and was no longer a democracy (even though it was officially a democracy) but a groups of province states. At least two clans could be playable there (since Iceland is in game a two province country) and the rest could be baronies. But this is rather slim, there was a strange feudalism there at the time.

Funny fact: Kolbeinn Flosason, the 1066 magistrate, is probably the ancestor of one of the clans, the Svínfellingar, which ruled Austurland (or Austisland as in-game, Easternland).

Nice ! It will be nice to see the whole of my country and the accurate naming system.

Thanks for the answer.

Now I also wonder, since you can start at any date in CK2, is there a chance that Iceland will be playable in the game ? It was not a king/dukedom or a county, it was a democracy at the time. At least officially, but in the era around 1180-1250, in the sturlungaöld, a few clans had massed the goðorðs (the "MPs seats") and was no longer a democracy (even though it was officially a democracy) but a groups of province states. At least two clans could be playable there (since Iceland is in game a two province country) and the rest could be baronies. But this is rather slim, there was a strange feudalism there at the time.

Funny fact: Kolbeinn Flosason, the 1066 magistrate, is probably the ancestor of one of the clans, the Svínfellingar, which ruled Austurland (or Austisland as in-game, Easternland).

Even if Iceland is never playable in the game, it seems to be something that could be modded in fairly easily :)

As for Patronyms, I think Iceland will follow whatever mechanics the Scandinavians use, unless Icelandic becomes its own culture group, which I somehow doubt.

Maybe you could provide us with a name of a similar service that can be used? It would be a first step.

You're a sexy guy and everything King.

He is the "content unsuitable to children" we are warned about at the beginning of the video.

Cool stuff as usual.

Has their been any discussion about the head of dynasty? Will the head of the dynasty always follow male line preference? Can a dynasty or house go extinct in the male line but still have a ruling daughter? Will the head of the dynasty have any special abilities or other qualities, such as a prestige modifer?

Has their been any discussion about the head of dynasty? Will the head of the dynasty always follow male line preference? Can a dynasty or house go extinct in the male line but still have a ruling daughter? Will the head of the dynasty have any special abilities or other qualities, such as a prestige modifer?

I don't think there has been any discussions or info on that exactly.

But most likely the house/dynasty will not be considered extinct as long as there are living members of it, whether they'd be male or female.

As for the special qualities for a head of a dynasty, I hope not. I see no reason why someone starting his own house should be granted any kind of special abilities. Most heads of dynasties at game start are going to be long dead anyways.

I don't think there has been any discussions or info on that exactly.

But most likely the house/dynasty will not be considered extinct as long as there are living members of it, whether they'd be male or female.

As for the special qualities for a head of a dynasty, I hope not. I see no reason why someone starting his own house should be granted any kind of special abilities. Most heads of dynasties at game start are going to be long dead anyways.

What do you mean in that last part? The position would be a fluid and successive one, not one referring to ancient glorified founders of the dynasty.

To the first part: It has been recently discussed, http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?542948-New-Dimension-Pater-Familias, but no official info from paradox as of yet which can often be interpreted as:

1) It'll come later in another form
2) It'll not be included
3) It'll be revealed later (to sustain PR hype (we need to have our monthly fix after all:p)) in more or less the form discussed on the forum (unlikely)

Personally I think such a feature would be great but yet again, the complexity of the sum of factors "governing" society and life has always been great and was so in medieval times but many things have to be abstracted due to development priority and imo it wouldn't be catastrophic not have this included in vanilla.

What do you mean in that last part? The position would be a fluid and successive one, not one referring to ancient glorified founders of the dynasty.

To the first part: It has been recently discussed, http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?542948-New-Dimension-Pater-Familias, but no official info from paradox as of yet which can often be interpreted as:

1) It'll come later in another form
2) It'll not be included
3) It'll be revealed later (to sustain PR hype (we need to have our monthly fix after all:p)) in more or less the form discussed on the forum (unlikely)

Personally I think such a feature would be great but yet again, the complexity of the sum of factors "governing" society and life has always been great and was so in medieval times but many things have to be abstracted due to development priority and imo it wouldn't be catastrophic not have this included in vanilla.

That is not how I read his post :) ....I assumed the head of the dynasty was the founder of the dynasty.

Again, I am not sure if there is anything special the current patriarch/matriarch of a house should be able to do. Did they really have any special abilities over their various branches at the time? ... was the most senior living dynasty member neccessarily anymore prestigious than anyone else in the house?

Maybe a minor prestige bonus could be made, but other than that, I don't think special features should be made for them.

That is not how I read his post :) ....I assumed the head of the dynasty was the founder of the dynasty.

Again, I am not sure if there is anything special the current patriarch/matriarch of a house should be able to do. Did they really have any special abilities over their various branches at the time? ... was the most senior living dynasty member neccessarily anymore prestigious than anyone else in the house?

Maybe a minor prestige bonus could be made, but other than that, I don't think special features should be made for them.

It would be a nice feature for a mod (and maybe the devs will consider it for an expansion). I am considering a basic mod, adding a trait ("dynasty leader" I suppose), with some events or decisions tied to it. It should differ from dynasty to dynasty what effect this head of dynasty should have. The Capetians (and their successor houses, down to the Bourbons) were a rather close-knit group as were the Habsburgs in their time (though late for CK2). Not sure how to model this, but I would think events like two dynasts asking for arbitration of claims to a title, asking advice on a variety of matters, asking for military or economic aid, and so forth. There should be some feeling that the ties that bind are based on the dynasty. So for example, if one member of the dynasty is publicly shamed, then all members of the house should receive negative relations with whoever committed the act. At this point, I hope that the devs include <dynasty> as an event trigger.

I think that the leading member of the senior line should be the leader by default. They usually held the most prominent titles, though not always (and there should be some competition for the title, based on prestige and level of authority--if one character is overlord of everyone in his dynasty then he should be head by default). But ties should extend at least two generations I would think, and dynasties that drift beyond that might be able to form their own houses. Inbreeding in part reinforced these bonds. In other words, not all legitimate descendants of say Hugh Capet should run to each other's aide, but those who would likely seem a common family interest, because of close ties of blood and marriage, so it should be the kind of thing that takes some maintenance and that can be spoiled by in-fighting, like in families of all social classes. The dynasty leader could have a sort of authority variable, like one the HRE has in EU3 or papal moral authority already implemented for CK2, from absolutely respected to no one listens to you. Just an idea at this point, but something worth discussing I would think.

No, I was referring to the head of the dynasty and not the founder. There are three buttons visible on the dynasty tree page: founder, head, and family/dynasty tree. I'm primarily curious about how the head of house is determined. Will there be a 'under the hood' succession for dynastic heads? It is not necessarily the one with the highest title; for example, Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, is the most senior agnatic descendant of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, not his cousin Queen Elizabeth II. Will a dynasty have succession laws that differ from a kingdoms? One would assume that they would since a single dynasty could be the ruling house of several kingdoms simultaneously, and each of these could have a different form of succession.