• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh, dear ... time to turn things around :eek:

Victory or Death: A Serbian WWI AAR​

SER20.png

Serbian troops march north

The Spring Offensive begins

In late February 1915 three Serb new volunteer divisions were deployed to the front, and Aleksander now felt confident that he had enough numbers to successfully break the weakly defended north. On March 7th three Serbian divisions under the command of Lt. General Milosevic engaged with entrenched Austrian forces near the town of Pancsova, pounding them constantly with heavy artillery fire. The Austrian force took huge casualties, and despite their defensive position had no options but a hasty retreat. In only a few hours of battle, almost 10% of the Austrian force had been decimated, and the Battle of Pancsova is a prime example of the deadliness of artillery when used properly.

SER21.png

Austrian losses after mere hours of fighting

By the 18th Pancsova was completely occupied by Serb forces, and Milosevic received the order to continue his advance towards Orsova, which like Pancsova was poorly defended. A single division was left to defend Pancsova, soon to be joined by a second consisting of fresh recruits, and when Milosevic reached Orsova the Austrians went on the counter-offensive. The two divisions, lacking time to construct decent fortifications, came under attack by a numerically superior Austrian force consiting of 3 divisions, and the order was given to hold their positions.

SER25.png

Meanwhile, Milosevic was tied up in Orsova, defended by of all things, cavalry. Unlike the Western Front, cavalry could still be quite effective in the Balkans as the warfare was much less static, but eventually Milosevic overcame, once again using his firepower to good effect. It was still unclear whether the defenders of Pancsova would need his assistance, as communications suggested that they were holding their own.

SER24.png

Milosevic vs cavalry

In the south, the offensive to liberate Montenegro finally began in late March. The plan was to attack the Austrians from two sides, both armies arriving concurrently. Since the invasion and annexation of Montenegro, the Austrians had diverted most of the divisions that took part to the Eastern Front, and so as in the north, Podgorica was only lightly defended. The attack began on April 22nd, and Prince Aleksander saw no reason why it should fail after the success at Pancsova. But that remained to be seen.

SER23.png

The advance into occupied Montenegro

While the Balkans had been quiet in winter, quite the opposite was true on the Western Front. The winter had been cold and bitter, and the soldiers stuck in the frozen muddy trenches suffered horrific afflictions on both sides, and morale was low. But nevertheless, by February the Germans, to their immense embarrassment, had been pushed entirely out of Belgium. Not only that, but in April Belgian forces triumphantly marched into Aachen, occupying the city. Of course, the German military and civilian population were horrified and outraged, and severely humiliated that a German city could ever have fallen to Belgian troops. The whole thing had supposed to have been wrapped up by now, but as Spring came it was Belgium who were on the offensive, pushing south towards Trier and north into Kleves.

SER26.png

This may have been explained by a concentration of German forces on the Eastern Front, but there was very little progress there either. Most of Poland remained in Russian hands, although Austria was enjoying some success on the offensive in the Ukraine. However, Russia was not having such fortune in the Caucasus, where the Ottomans were making some gains in Armenia, although as Russia sent reinforcements south in large numbers it seemed likely that these gains would quickly be reversed.

SER27.png

So as April 1915 came, things seemed to be going well for the Entente, especially when on April 19th Italy formally joined, betraying their friendship with Germany and Austria in the hope of gaining the Southern Tyrol. But for Serbia the Austrian counter-offensive was only a prelude to greater, more ferocious and bloody battles to come.

Estonianzulu: That event is one of several added for Revolutions.

RGB: So do I!

Duke of Wellington: Thanks. It can only get tougher from here on in.

Hajji Giray I: It is indeed time.

Very interesting, fiftypence. What are your plans for when Bulgaria joins?

I’m not quite sure that you are correct in leaving your heavily fortified provinces by going on the offensive. That said, it seems to be working so far.

Wow, you are doing quite nicely so far, only thing that is wierd is the Belgian offensive into Germany.

It would appear that the Germans are focusing on the Russians first.
This happened once when I was playing. They likely will let the Belgians take Aachen and hold them there until they have defeated russia.

SER29.png

Serb positions near Orsova

June 22nd 1915, Orsova

Lieutenant General Milosevic reads the telegram silently, a slight smile coming to his lips.

PODGORICA TAKEN, DIGGING IN STOP
PANCSOVA HELD STOP
AUSTRIAN OFFENSIVE AGAINST ORSOVA PLANNED, NUMBERS UNKNOWN STOP
REINFORCEMENTS 5 DAYS AWAY STOP
RETURN TO BEOGRAD ASAP STOP
FIELD MARSHAL MISIC STOP

He sits down on the rather uncomfortable chair in the command shack, and cracks his knuckles.

"Good news on all fronts, it seems. Though Misic says the Austrians are coming," he says, the words hanging in the air. Jivanovic, his second-in-command, laughs, shaking his head.

"What, here?!"

Milosevic shrugs. "That's what the message says. I'm betting the Austrians are cursing themselves for letting us capture the gorge so easily, and the High Command has ordered it retaken no matter what the cost."

Milosevic stands up and steps outside, Jivanovic quickly following, into the biting cold mountain air. The view from their vantage point is breathtaking. Below them lies the small port town of Orsova, on the banks of the great Danube, beyond which stretches a gorge known as the Iron Gate, which over the centuries has acquired a reputation as being torment for any ships trying to pass through. The Serb army had crossed the river without too much trouble, but the rugged terrain that lies beyond, snow-covered even in the height of summer, would be difficult for any army trying to dislodge the Serbs. Even if they succeeded, the Serbs have the option of retreating and defending from the other side of the river, which would truly make things hellish for the Austrians.

"It seems the Austrian has a desire to commit suicide," Jivanovic says with a chuckle, earning a sharp look from Milosevic.

"It would be foolish to underestimate the enemy, even the Austrians," Milosevic says austerely. "You should remember that, seeing as how this is going to be your battle."

"I willl...wait a minute, what do you mean, my battle?"

Milosevic coughs. "I've been recalled to Belgrade by Misic. These two divisions, well, they're yours now I guess."

Jivanovic stands open mouthed, as Milosevic silently goes back inside.

Only two hours later, Serb infantry positions would come under attack. Reports indicated they were outnumbered 4:1

SER28.png

The Austrian Counter-Offensive

Belgrade, some time before

“Feeling better, Field Marshal?”

There is genuine warmth in King Petar’s voice, as between old friends. Putnik nods silently, much of the drained pallor gone, the colour restored to his heavily bearded face. The King smiles.

“So how would you feel about going back into the field? We could use your expertise…”

Putnik is silent. Upon returning to Serbia several months before, he had kept his word to von Hotzendorf, only for the King to decline his offer of resignation, and with good reason. Putnik is a fine general, and despite his ill health his mind remains as sharp as ever.

“I would like to help,” he says, “but my condition is still poor. I think maybe I should offer the resignation of my commission again.”

Petar sighs. “All right, how about a compromise? I trust your judgement when you say you’re not fit to lead, but how about acting in more of an…advisory capacity? I‘m sure there are many younger commanders who could benefit from your knowledge and expertise. It would require you going out to the front though, of course.”

Putnik considers this, and eventually nods. “I suppose so, I am feeling recovered. Where would you like me to go?”

“There is currently an artillery division on it’s way to reinforce Orsova, which we believe will come under attack soon. Holding Orsova could be critical to our whole war effort.”

“Fine, I’ll do it.”

“Excellent. The train leaves tonight.”

Patrick O'Harte: Thanks for reading. :)

rhynoclemmis: Attack is the best form of defence, so they say. ;)

Duke of Wellington: If I can hold out long enough, a stalemate is not such a bad thing.

Wannabe Tatar: I'll be building some new divisions to put along the border soon, so if they attack, at least I should be able to hold them to a stalemate on that front until I can get reinforcements there.

Fulcrumvale: Well they won't be undefended for too long, if things go to plan.

Freddan: Yes, it is strange.

Wenis: Well, as you'll soon see, things get even worse for the Germans on the Western Front quite soon...

Delex: Well, Italy and Japan have joined as they historically did, and I'm expecting Greece, Bulgaria and Romania to get in on the action too. As I've played a little while ahead, I know that one of those 3 nations joins in early September... :eek:

Fiftypence said:
Delex: Well, Italy and Japan have joined as they historically did, and I'm expecting Greece, Bulgaria and Romania to get in on the action too. As I've played a little while ahead, I know that one of those 3 nations joins in early September... :eek:
Uh oh... :eek: .

I hope the Austrians don't break through.

I don't normally read Victoria AARs, being mainly a HoI: Doomsday player these days. Yet your AAR has renewed my former interest for Victoria and has prompted me to reinstall and start playing again. I can only say 'what made me stop playing?'. Great AAR Fiftypence, hope your Serbian armies reach Budapest soon!

Uh oh. Can you handle a two-front war?

SER33.png

Austrian forces inspecting their dead

Summer 1915

The 2nd Battle of Orsova (known alternatively as the Battle of the Iron Gate) began on June 22nd, and would be remembered for the stunning incompetence of the Austrian leadership. The two Serb divisions under the command of Jivanovic quickly retreated a short distance and took up positions on the other side of the Danube, destroying the only bridge across, and from there a bloody stalemate ensued. Five days into the battle Putnik and the Serbian artillery arrived, joining up with Jivanovic’s force, and facing difficult terrain and heavy firepower most armies would have retreated, or at least tried to have devised some way to bypass the Serb positions. The Austrians did neither, and instead attacked across the river and the mountains head on, with predictable results.

They quickly retook Orsova, but from there seemed to run out of ideas, or at least sensible ideas. One incident recalls an Austrian cavalry commander, who thought that it might just be possible that the river was shallow enough for his horses to cross. His entire platton was wiped out, all his men either victim of bombardment or meeting their deaths on the sharp rocks downstream, carried away by the vicious currents. Amazingly, such attempts were quite typical of Austrian strategy, making the month long counter-offensive all too easy for the Serbs, who barely incurred any casualties. By the time the Austrian commander Heinz Roth ordered the retreat, his forces had suffered nearly 30,000 casualties, while the Serbs had less than 5,000.

SER32.png
Orsova, July 13th​
Orsova itself had been almost destroyed in the fighting, and when Serbia retook the town there was barely a building standing, and unknown thousands of bodies buried in the rubble. General Jivanovic recalls in his memoirs,

“It was a most marvellous and hugely important victory for Serbia, but when we came into Orsova I almost vomited, this wreck of a town permeated with the thick, all-consuming, inescapable stench of death, but forced myself not to, of rthe sake of the men. The only people left there were mostly parentless children, for despite everything they of all people are astonishingly resilient in the face of adversity. It burdened me somewhat knowing that Serb artillery was responsible for this, but most blamed the Austrians, for their it was their foolhardy obstinance that had forced our hand.”

It was a great relief for the high command in Kragujevac that Orsova had been won with so few casualties as manpower was at a premium, and in August 1915 four new divisions were deployed to the Bulgarian border, after intelligence reports seemed to suggest that they may attack Serbia in the near future. Up until that point the border had been completely undefended as all forces were committed against Austria. These new border guards, Aleksander hoped, would be enough to repel an invasion, especially as the military estimated Bulgaria’s army to be no more that three divisions.

SER31.png

The new border guards

All in all, the summer had been a great success for the Entente Powers. As Autumn approached the Belgians still held Aachen, and in early August the French had forced another rupture in the German front line culminating in the capture of what remained of Metz by French and British forces. The Russians were still holding back the Germans with a degree of success, and were almost able to encircle 270,000 German troops in Lithuania, but were unable to capitalise upon it as Germany quickly broke the encirclement.

SER30.png

Germans encircled in Lithuania/French breakthough at Metz

On September 1st, a telegram arrived in Kragujevac, bearing some important news concerning one of Serbia’s neighbours…

Last edited:
Fulcrumvale: Not much chance of that at the moment.

Michaeru: As you'll see, Austrian numerical superiority counted for nought.

Colonel Mooseus: Thanks. I think Victoria is a great game, although it's not a fantastic war simulator. The WWI scenario is much better than it used to be, though. :)

RGB: As of April 1915, probably not. As of September, maybe.