• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Patric on transportation:
There is only one type of transportation and it starts with roads and horse carts. It can be improved to several levels of Railroad.

On resources and factories:
Resources and goods are allocated to factories automatically from the national resource pool. If you lack something you either have to buy it on the market or manufacture it (if possible).

Overseas resources must be brought home via sea transport (convoys).

Btw, Factories are built at the state level

Patric on music:
The Victoria soundtrack will be classical music from the period.

On "Intellectual Establishment":
Intellectual Establishment decides what you can research... There are tool tips for them.

On the highest screen resolution:
1280 X 1024 (I think)...

On slavery:
Slaves won't be a resource but will be a part of the population types in certain countries...

Last edited:
Patric on manpower:
Province population limits the manpower pool!

and
But in Victoria you have to convert POPs (population types) to Soldiers to get them available as manpower.

On screen resolution:
It won't run in 800 * 600, sorry!

Last edited:
Patric on domestic policy:
You control Social and Political reforms from separate interfaces. Social reforms have running costs that must be allocated here.
and
Depends on a lot of things but the arrows indicates minimum and maximum levels.

Johan on taxes:
The population gets the money from trade.
Just tax them to earn cash..
Just don't tax them too hard, or you will
a) make them distrust you.
b) make them unable to buy the goods they need, so they might emigrate or get more militant.

On the population's response to exhorbitant taxation:
Well, they need their money to buy things as well.. and if they dont have money, they 1) get pissed.. 2) there's less demand for goods, so prices drop etc.. and lots more consequences

Last edited:
Patric on peace resolution:
It is more like EU2 where you have to sue for peace to take land areas but there are more things involved in the peace process in vic.

On tech research:
There are two parts of the tech research. Normal research (125 techs) and invention events spawned by researched tech.

On colonization's resemeblance to that in EU II:
Completely different!

On Victoria's resemblance to EU and HoI:
It is pretty hard to compare as the foundation of the game is so different from EU, EU2 and HOI. There is an underlying system which simulates the population with all their needs and demands that affects everything in your country. Piss your population off and they will migrate to a better place!

On internal migration:
Apart from migration you will also have people moving to better places in the country. Better means that they have jobs etc...

Last edited:
Patric on diplomatic options:
Declare War
Declare Colonial War
Offer Alliance (Lots of new options here)
Improve Relations
Send expeditionary force
Ask for military access
Ask for naval access
Demand cessation of colonialism
Guarantee independence
Open negotiations (claims, provinces, tech and money)

On alliances:
Standard or purely defensive alliances. Options to except countries from the alliance conditions...

For example:

I'm country A and I want to make a normal alliance with B but I don't want the alliance to be in effect if Country C should get involved in the war for some reason etc. etc.. So I make an alliance with the exception of country C. If me or B should go to war with C the alliance is not in effect.

Or I want a purely defensive alliance, i.e. only in effect as long as none of the countries in the alliance is the aggressor (starting the war).

and
you can only be allied with countries once...

Last edited:
Patric on managing your population:
Victoria is modeled totally different than the previous games. Now you have a very complex population model to play with. It will be hard to grow fast both military and economically as you always have to balance growth with the population's needs and demands. As I stated in an earlier thread, don't piss off your population as you never know what might happen...

You'll see what I mean when we post some more in-depth information on the POPs.

Patric on whether Norway is playable:
In one of the scenarios ;)

and
EVT_36406_DESC
Carl Johan, king of Sweden and Norway, gave in to the Stortinget's demands and allowed Norwegian vessels to carry the Norwegian flag in all waters.

ACTIONNAME36406A Give them the right (Loss of prestige but happy Norwegians)
ACTIONNAME36406B Refuse them the right (Gain prestige but militancy among Norwegians +2)

There are events involved in this process but Norway is Swedish from start, at least in the GC

Patric on what the symbols on the top information bar mean:
Manpower
Leadership
Research
Prestige
Funds

He forgot one. ;)

On prestige:
Nope, that is what you have diplomatic actions for!

Prestige is, together with military power and industrial power, a measure of how good or bad you are doing. Those three combined will give you the Great Power Ranking (top 8 countries are Great Powers).

Declaring war without a valid cause is very bad for your prestige for example...

On leadership:
Leadership is related to your Admirals and Generals or rather for educating new leaders

Last edited:
More on prestige:
Prestige is something different than BB and you can gain prestige in several ways. For example being one of the top three producers of a goods type in the world. Winning a battle or a war. Introducing political reforms in your country. There are many ways to gain prestige but also ways to lose it.

Prestige will affect how other countries view you and will also give you extra diplomatic actions.

More on leadership:
Leadership points are spent when you "educate" new leaders for your armies or navies. You gain LP from your Officer POPs.

On "victory":
Victory is measured by the GPR (Great Power Ranking).

GPR = (Prestige + Military Power + Industrial Power)

Dont ask me for algorithms as I don't have a clue...

Last edited:
Patric on colonisation:
You claim the whole state and not just one province as a colony. To do this you must do one of the following.

Build one of each type of colonial buildings in the state (4 different buildings).

or

Build a colonial building in each province that makes up the colony.

After this has been done you can claim the colony. This also means that you can sabotage the efforts of other countries by building colonial buildings where they already have made an effort to colonize. This can lead to a deterioration of relations and perhaps even war! You can negotiate with other countries so in essence you can purchase or sell claims.

Example:

State A is made up of provinces 1- 5.
You build either a colonial building in each province and afterwards claim the colony or build buildings 1-4 and claim the colony.

But if someone else builds claim buildings in 2 of the provinces and you build in 2-3 then the colony will remain contested. This can be resolved by trading claims etc.

Btw, a province can only have ONE colonial building.

System requirements:
System Requirements:

To play Victoria you'll need the following hardware.

Minimum requirements
• Windows® 98/ ME /2000 /XP
• Pentium III 450 MHz
• 128 Mb RAM
• 600 Mb Free Hard Drive Space
• 4Mb Video Card DirectX Compatible
• DirectX Compatible Sound Card
• DirectX 8.1 or higher (included on the CD)

Recommended
• Windows® 98/ ME /2000 /XP
• Pentium III 800 MHz
• 256 Mb RAM
• 600 Mb Free Hard Drive Space
• 8Mb Video Card DirectX Compatible
• DirectX Compatible Sound Card
• DirectX 8.1 or higher (included on the CD)

An example of a scripted text file:

Scripted text files = same system
code:
country = {
tag = SWE
ai = "SWE.ai"
capital = 376
culture = {
type = swedish
type = finnish
type = norwegian
}