Victoria is the best game Paradox ever made.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually do not know what you are trying to say in this post. Are you arguing that uniting from the south shouldn’t be possible? That if Naples unified the country they’d keep the capital south instead of moving it? I honestly cannot tell.
His complaint is, always, that none of Paradox's games are completely perfect simulations of historical processes.

Because for some reason he thinks that perfect simulation is the only feature that Vicky needs.

For example, here, he's complaining that the path to Italian Unification from Naples doesn't look like what a "realistic" alternate-history Italian Unification by the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (or Neapolitan republicans) would look like.

Reactions:
His complaint is, always, that none of Paradox's games are completely perfect simulations of historical processes.

Because for some reason he thinks that perfect simulation is the only feature that Vicky needs.

For example, here, he's complaining that the path to Italian Unification from Naples doesn't look like what a "realistic" alternate-history Italian Unification by the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (or Neapolitan republicans) would look like.
And that is not the only thing I complain about the economy for example. But a historical simulation and a lot in terms of ai. Political processes, simulations of parties, movements, population, militaria, governments, presidents, emperors. An encyclopedia in practice

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
And that is not the only thing I complain about the economy for example. But a historical simulation and a lot in terms of ai. Political processes, simulations of parties, movements, population, militaria, governments, presidents, emperors. An encyclopedia in practice
If you want an encyclopedia, why not read an encyclopedia? Or at least give actual suggestions for the things you complain about?
Honest advise time: no one will listen to you if you say “you’re doing this wrong.” They might, however, listen to you if you say “and here’s how you can do it better.” So, to start, what do you want Vic3 to do differently with presidents and emperors?

• 1Love
Reactions:
But this isn't what Victoria 3 aims to be, or what anyone in the community wants it to be. Why not go and complain that Dark Souls 2 isn't an encyclopaedia in practice? That isn't intended to be so either.
Dark Souls is a useless fantasy. Victoria is a game that claims to be a historical simulation with all the states of the era so why shouldn't it be a full simulation? maybe it will be more boring but better in quality

• 1Like
Reactions:
boring but better in quality
Quality is a measure of how good something is at fulfilling its goals, and the goal of Vic3 is to be fun & enjoyable.
Harold my mate, my gal, my buddy, I’m trying to help you here. You clearly want something out of Vic 3 that you’re not going to get, and the way you’re going about it is DEFINITELY not going to get it for you. I’m trying to understand where you’re coming from and help you translate those desires into an actionable plan you can propose that might actually get incorporated. Work with me here. If you do truly want changes to Vic 3, try engaging with my honest questions so that we can maybe find out what it is you actually want.

Reactions:
1 computers will evolve in less than 30 years 2 a realistic simulation that goes towards uchronia for choices, eg united italy from the Bourbon south, complicated for the economy of the southern kingdom but a possibility. if not a game of history why but a simulation we make a game like the throne of swords?
1. Yes ICs advance fast, but you're a consumer not a corporation. The 41% are regarding density not computation power/price. Manufacturing costs rise exponentially as well. You seem to misunderstand.

2. I absolutely don't care about the game's setting if the economy simulation is good and the domain of 'meaningful' political actions is big. And this is where Victoria 3 will hopefully lead, especially since the galactic market will likely result in less hacks necessary.

Reactions:
Quality is a measure of how good something is at fulfilling its goals, and the goal of Vic3 is to be fun & enjoyable.
Harold my mate, my gal, my buddy, I’m trying to help you here. You clearly want something out of Vic 3 that you’re not going to get, and the way you’re going about it is DEFINITELY not going to get it for you. I’m trying to understand where you’re coming from and help you translate those desires into an actionable plan you can propose that might actually get incorporated. Work with me here. If you do truly want changes to Vic 3, try engaging with my honest questions so that we can maybe find out what it is you actually want.
His instrumental goals and actions seem to be misaligned with his terminal goal, the agent appears to be not very effective when it comes to choosing actions and defining instrumental goals.

Reactions:
yall made some solid argument against crazy lorre, but i think his command of the english language is too shaky to get what yall are trying to say.

lorre, since you can't read the room due to the language barrier let me help you out. this is what everyone is currently thinking about you, in itallian

"sei stupido"

Last edited:
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
The idea is excellent but it is badly conceived in practice

Most time I read this very sentence, people are talking about Communism - quite refreshing to read it in a totally different context ;-)

However, my two cents: I am biased, because Vicky holds a special place in my gamer heart. Vic1 was the game that brought me to Paradox. I was so amazed that I was sure to pre-order Vic2 when it was announced, and to bridge the waiting time, I bought HOI3 because I understood it would use the same engine as coming Vic2 and comparable graphis, so I wantedto get the hang on the engine and look&feel... so actually Vic2 brought me to the HOI series.
I surely will not miss out Vic3 by any chance.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Victoria 3 will be, first and foremost, a GAME, rather than a SIMULATION. It will be tied a bit loosely to history in some places, tighter in others, but ultimately the limitations of computer hardware (now, not 20 years from now), programming time and cost, and the ability to present information to the player in a form that's easily understood and acted upon, will determine how "realistic" the game can be without chasing away customers or failing to recover its development costs and earn a healthy profit.

The bottom line is, if that's totally inadequate for your purposes, then you may need to start your own game company, fund it with a nearly unlimited supply of cash, and then be prepared for it to earn back far less than it cost to produce your masterpiece.

I don't expect anywhere near "perfection", but I'd like to see some economic and political game mechanics which at least resemble reality enough to produce relatively believable outcomes, rather than blatantly absurd antics by either the player, the AI, or both. The changing nature of warfare over the time span, and the design decisions made in that respect, means that the military system(s) will probably cover part of the period well enough, and other parts poorly, but I can probably live with that if the rest is good.

As for "the best game ever made", there are people who prefer FPS games, those who play RPGs, those who play strategy or "grand strategy" games. Victoria 3 may well become the best economic game of the bunch, and the Victoria IP is already the best "historical" Paradox game of the 19th Century, for lack of competition if nothing else. I wouldn't call it "the best game Paradox ever made" for most people, however. There are a whole lot of customers who prefer games like City Skylines or Stellaris. Personally, I consider it and HOI3 two of the "best" Paradox games for totally different reasons, and am glad that such diversity exists.

Last edited:
Reactions:
V2 is probably my favorite PDX game, and based on what we know about V3, I think it likely that V2 will remain on top. If only they fixed V2 MP. A functional MP is pretty much one of the biggest seeing points for me in regard to V3

Reactions:
with many defects but not taking into account the historical reality, hardly in a historical simulation, taking into account the era, economy, politics the situation in Italy could happen you cannot move the capital to Rome or to Florence only to Naples, so it is anti-historical and artificial.
And making multiple topics on the same topic the military not too specific?
Based on what you've said it sounds like you want a game that almost represents real history throughout the timeline.

In that case you can't play the game because
a) as soon as you touch a button, you are not playing historically which means the ai (now or in 30 years) will have to adjust its historical situation to counter this 'thing' that's not doing as expected.
b) you didn't exist, so it isn't historically accurate to allow you to be able to be involved in that timeline. You are only allowed to play a modern game that represents your life as you lived it.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.