Victoria is the best game Paradox ever made.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wacky things like Mexican China (which I've never seen sadly) made vic 2 so interesting though. Especially because it changes the power dynamic completely. Once had Austria who conquered Egypt and it was an amazing a-historical powerhouse.
And honestly it gets even more crazy in the current generation of games. Compare for example Hoi3 vs Hoi4. Victoria III seems to be more moderate than Hoi 4 in this regard, but I think it would be even less deterministic than Vic 2.

Not really.

I hold Vicky 1 in very high regard, but it's really dated now...

Boo! Here I am telling the young ones of the joys of riding the rails and you want to derail the train. Considering it costs $10 full price and you can get it on sale (heavily discounted) multiple times during the year, I don't think it's pointless to get. The gameplay is actually quite good and I'm even playing a campaign now. I actually liked it so much I bought it a second time just to get the little pith helmet, because they didn't accept physical copies for registration.

That being said, the graphics (and in particular screen resolution) will likely be a turn off for most, and there are sliders o_O oh those dark Paradox days of old...

• 1Love
Reactions:
Victoria2 was never a great simulation game it was full of historical errors and had all the flaws of the Paradox games as well as the problem of all the strategic ones a poor ai.
The economy simulation was pretty well designed, there were executive flaws though * which they actually talk about in one of the video updates ).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any reason to play Vicky 1 when you've already played Vicky 2? Always figured Vicky 1 would just be more basic than 2 and not worth the trouble
They're genuinely very different games and you can have very different experiences with them. There's a lot of fun to be had in Vicky you can't have in Vicky 2, and vice-versa.

I genuinely love Vicky and have played it as much as any Paradox game.

People talk about pop splitting and manually promoting as a great evil, but it's simply one of your primary interaction methods, and you can, e.g., turbocharge your research as small countries by changing your pop distribution. The economy is simpler than Vicky 2 but that also means it isn't fundamentally broken. Capitalists work well (assuming you have Revolutions). Late game planned economies do get burdensome to oversee in a big country because you do everything manually, but "some systems kind of fall apart in late game" is kind of a Paradox trademark.

Also there's a few very cool mods for it, including Wiz's own mod for his Paradox Grand Campaign. You want (possibly Communist) Byzantines with events and everything? A Muslim Napoleon extending Andalusian enlightenment by force to the stodgy monarchies of Europe? It's great stuff and adds a lot of extended fun to the game.

The main hurdles are that it looks old and you'll need a fairly simple tweak to get it working on modern widescreens, and that you really, really want to play a few tutorial games as Brazil and Belgium following along on Vickywiki to get the hang of how the mechanics work. It's not really hard or excessively complex, there's just a bunch of things going on and figuring it out by intuition alone will likely lead you astray.

Reactions:
Not even 2 and the expansions should be played and with the premises that I read in the diaries not even the 3
With your standards, do you play any game at all? I’m honestly interested to know if you can point to any examples of what you think PDX should be doing.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Not even 2 and the expansions should be played and with the premises that I read in the diaries not even the 3
Given that Victoria 1 and 2 failed to meet your standards for an acceptably accurate game, why have you chosen Victoria 3 as The Game which must have acceptable accuracy for you as opposed to (for example) Age of Empires, Hearts of Iron or Total War: Troy?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Given that Victoria 1 and 2 failed to meet your standards for an acceptably accurate game, why have you chosen Victoria 3 as The Game which must have acceptable accuracy for you as opposed to (for example) Age of Empires, Hearts of Iron or Total War: Troy?
Because I believe as I have already written that. The idea is excellent but it is badly conceived in practice

Reactions:
So, given that Victoria 1 and 2 didn’t meet your standards and Victoria 3 is clearly not intended to meet your standards, why are you here?
So, given that Victoria 1 and 2 didn’t meet your standards and Victoria 3 is clearly not intended to meet your standards, why are you here?
I think I can improve things., Explaining my ideas

Reactions:
Because I believe as I have already written that. The idea is excellent but it is badly conceived in practice
Why specifically is the economic simulation in Victoria 2 bad for you?

What would be needed in your opinion for a good economy simulation, in a game given a computation and budget restriction?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Why specifically is the economic simulation in Victoria 2 bad for you?

What would be needed in your opinion for a good economy simulation, in a game given a computation and budget restriction?
A relative limited budget as there are many millions. 1 economic shortcomings the stock market and the related panic crises of 1873 1903.1929 etc 2 the lack of large economic conglomerates us steel standard oil banks Rothschild.edison They are together. To the personal credit of perier who financed the banks! 3 Lack of finished products tobacco manufacturing steel clothing industries. Refined petroleum etx

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A relative limited budget as there are many millions. 1 economic shortcomings the stock market and the related panic crises of 1873 1903.1929 etc 2 the lack of large economic conglomerates us steel standard oil banks Rothschild.edison They are together. To the personal credit of perier who financed the banks! 3 Lack of finished products tobacco manufacturing steel clothing industries. Refined petroleum etx

So you want a active agents inside of a financial system, that includes the stock market?
In addition you want institutional entities to be modelled as agents, that are influenced, consisting of and are owned by agents?

Not enough goods? I do kinda agree, but every good adds another layer of computations especially if those goods are part of a production chain or a need of pops.

So how is this to be achieved under the constraints of both time, computational complexity, and budget for a game?

It's a simulation-game, not a scientific simulation, the latter disregards multi-platform viability, the former has to reach as many people as possible with different hardware capabilities. You're looking for a scientific MAS that is run by a machine ( whether it'd be a cloud, ASIICS etc etc), that is far outside the budget of most people here on the forum.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So you want a active agents inside of a financial system, that includes the stock market?
In addition you want institutional entities to be modelled as agents, that are influenced, consisting of and are owned by agents?

Not enough goods? I do kinda agree, but every good adds another layer of computations especially if those goods are part of a production chain or a need of pops.

So how is this to be achieved under the constraints of both time, computational complexity, and budget for a game?

It's a simulation-game, not a scientific simulation, the latter disregards multi-platform viability, the former has to reach as many people as possible with different hardware capabilities. You're looking for a scientific MAS that is run by a machine ( whether it'd be a cloud, ASIICS etc etc), that is far outside the budget of most people here on the forum.
You are not the first to point this out to him, and i doubt he will listen.

One day harold lorre will understand that vic3 is a game meant to be run by a general PC gaming customer base, and not exclusively by those that has access to a personal super computer.

Today is not that day, and most likely nor is tomorrow. In fact, i have resigned to the fact that i just have to live with his inane ramblings (in broken English) for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
After all I must confess I had the most fun game expierences with Vic1Rev and not with Vic2... both have their flaws and I would never suggest to play Russia or China in Vic1 (manually promoting that many pops is a real pain!)... Vic2 never felt as "realistic" or "immersive" as Vic1Rev... but well thats just my opinion, man.

One of my favorites was trying to unify Italy as Sicily and it was so hard because France always supported Sardinia-Piemont... so many wars between 1860 and 1910 and Italy still was divided because later on modern trench warfare made it impossible to make decisive victories in wars, no side was powerful enough to dominate... so many italians lost their lifes for nothing... horrible! Stupid France!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Boo! Here I am telling the young ones of the joys of riding the rails and you want to derail the train. Considering it costs $10 full price and you can get it on sale (heavily discounted) multiple times during the year, I don't think it's pointless to get. The gameplay is actually quite good and I'm even playing a campaign now. I actually liked it so much I bought it a second time just to get the little pith helmet, because they didn't accept physical copies for registration.

That being said, the graphics (and in particular screen resolution) will likely be a turn off for most, and there are sliders o_O oh those dark Paradox days of old...

Well, I had really fun times with game 1, no doubt about it.

I doubt anyone trying it out now for the first time would feel that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.