• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was on the community alpha test team for Vicky 2! I remember being rather shocked by the state of the development build considering how soon the release was meant to be. I think I would've even been more shocked to learn that the game had only been in development for a few months then, lol.

The end product was magical nonetheless, and I enjoyed my time testing it. Though I ended up not doing much due to life circumstances. Still sorry for filing so few bug reports!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the retrospective Johan!

A great look back to a different time, tinged with nostalgia – at least for the old farts on the forum (like yours truly)!

Still love Vicky2, even if I haven't played it in ages.

In some ways it does feel likes the both last of the old classic Paradox games (the line that began with EU1), and the first of the new - though I suppose the latter title more properly belongs to CK2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Too sad the dual-RGO idea didn't make its way into the game release. Perhaps provinces can come with 2 goods, 1 or none at all like some did in EvW in a sequel, if ever.

A pleasant surprise to discover such a new thread in this forum! :D

Which of the Paradox Studios would be assigned development of Victoria III?

Also, not to be a downer in this thread, but the game name needs to be changed/rebranded for marketing and searchability purposes.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The important question is tough, how did the pitch meeting for Victoria 3 turn out?
Postponed again because of too many mentions of V3 on the forums

• 7Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for sharing.

This is both interesting and saddening, because reading this, I'm feeling you are unable to make another Victoria nowadays. Which means of course....

Still one of the best. I remember ordering a Physical copy from UK that had a world map in it with the Great powers colored (plus china and Japan). Had it on my wall for more than 8 years (until I need to move and store it properly in the box again). Bought it again in Steam before the price bump with all the expansions for 2 euros or so to avoid the CD and .. Gamersgate? for the expansions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Victoria II was great back then, it is great now
EfNEXU-XYAERsbh

• 1Like
Reactions:
As pointed out in a previous thread, that comparison is heavily biased in favor of Imperator. ALL of the Imperator: Rome sales were made or redeemed through Steam, whereas Victoria 2 was originally available on CD, as well as a download through Steam, GoG, Gamersgate (no longer a distributor), and Amazon, plus a few other small distributors. The graph in the previous post ONLY shows the Steam customers, and Victoria 2 is STILL showing up a decade after release as being more heavily played than the much more recent Imperator: Rome on a service that doesn't include a significant number of V2 players.

Whether that's a testament to the quality and replayability of V2, or a condemnation of Paradox's more recent business model and the lack of content in I:R is subject to debate, but the difference in their active users is hard to dispute.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Where is Chris King? Does he still work for/with Paradox?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Name, website?

Crispon Games AB

Can't find a website.

Their one game

Reactions:
No, he started his own studio IIRC.
That's a thing of the past.
He came to Paradox after the release of that game and left in 2019 again to join a british company.
Unknown to me which.

PS: Even the Wikipedia article on Chris mentions it and cites Johan.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hi everyone, as we are about to celebrate ten years since the original release of Victoria 2, I wanted to delve into a small retrospective of it. First of all, for me personally Victoria 2 was the last of an era of games, where I was leading a small studio of 7-8 people, where we released 1, sometimes 2 games in a year, with a minor expansion or 2. It was a completely different decade than the decade that has been since..

Great times, hard to believe it's ten years ago. I loved testing that game, was a huge amount of fun.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Cowardly-Lion.jpg

Ain't it the truth?

• 3Like
Reactions:
didnt the guy that coded the economy leave the company? wasnt that why there wont be a vicky 2?
johan literally just said on the No CB podcast that that's a myth. The person who knows the economy best is Podcat

• 1Like
Reactions: