• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

franchil

Major
48 Badges
Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
I have windows 10, and each time I launch Victoria 1 Complete (just purchased on steam) i have a Fatal error could not initialize video.
I tried to change the version to be launched with all other windows vgfersions (including windows XP), but each time it crashes!
I am really disapointed by this incompatibility, please can Paradox promptly fix this problem???

Huh. I guess I should read the forums when my game crashes after a partial install, rather than assuming the CD is wrecked and spending £8 for another copy. Maybe Steam will give me a refund.
If you haven't done that already, there is some possibility for a fix. Most of the old games are having trouble like this, but I've heard that running as an administrator or with the compatibility settings for XP ServPack 3 might help clear the issue up.

However, I can't make guarantees.

GOG- gves some tips regarding their version of Victoria complete, you could try it for yours as well. For me it worked when I disconected my second screen...
"
Please try these troubleshooting steps:
1) Please make sure that you use "Run as Administrator" to install and to start the game (right-click on the shortcut or setup file and select "Run as Administrator"). If you are using Galaxy, then make sure to run Galaxy as Administrator.

2) Please reinstall the game AND add it to your anti-virus/firewall software's exception/trusted list. Simply disabling the firewall or AV software could not be enough, since some of theses software are still running in the background or in the services list. If you are using Galaxy, then please add Galaxy as well.

3) Reinstall the June 2010 DirectX runtime package. You can find the archive file containing the 2010 package installation files here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

After that please download and install the DirectX Web Installer:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

You will have to extract the files into some folder, then open that folder and launch the DXSETUP.exe file in order to proceed with the installation.

4) Please update your graphics device drivers:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

5) Your DxDiag report shows that you're using an integrated Intel video device. Please follow this guide to change your preferred device (step 9 is for AMD/ATI users):
https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us...use-your-dedicated-GPU-on-a-Windows-computer-

6) Your DXDiag file suggests that you are using multiple monitors. This may cause problems in some games, therefore please disable all but the primary one before attempting to launch the game.
To do this, use the WindowsKey+P combination and use "Computer only". If this doesn't work, you need to disable the monitors in the graphics device Control Panel (right-click an empty section of your desktop to access it).

7) Please open the Control Panel (you can do it by pressing the Windows key+R, typing 'control' and hitting enter), go to Programs > Programs and Features, click the Turn Windows features on or off link, find the Legacy components on the list, enable DirectPlay and click OK to install it.

Please let me know if this solved the issue.

Regards,
Lisa
Customer Support Representative GOG.com"

(and if it doesn´t work- go buy their version. It is cheap, like 81 SEK (8 euro). Sorry for advertising another company, but in this context it might be ok)

If anyone else has a similar problem, especially if it says fatal error failure to initialize video. Try this. Right click on the Victoria.exe file > Properties > Compatibility > Select reduced color mode 16 bit