Victoria 3 | Monthly Update #4 | October

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Migration%20Map%201%20Fixed.png
I won't lie, seeing the Canadian Maritimes get labelled as New Brunswick nearly made me scream. New Jersey gets it's own state, but Nova Scotia can't even escape being called 'New Brunswick'?

Addendum: I also hope I'm seeing things, and that Rhode Island, Delaware and Vermont aren't also separate states while, say, Canada is stuck with stupidly oversized states that even subsume multiple provinces into them.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I won't lie, seeing the Canadian Maritimes get labeled as New Brunswick nearly made me scream. New Jersey gets it's own state, but Nova Scotia can't even escape being called 'New Brunswick'?
That's the country, not the state region, I don't think we know if it's one or multiple state regions yet though hopefully it's multiple. I agree it's strange that it's called New Brunswick though, and that they should be separate British subjects like Upper and Lower Canada instead of being lumped together into one. Though if they have to be together, Maritime Union would be a better name.

Reactions:
C1E46C51-A7D4-4206-A634-90C9E9D6748A.jpeg
I’m just curious, but it’s interesting to note that there are clergyman pops working on slave plantations. Is there a historical basis for this? Sounds interesting

Also, did I get the video right, or did they mention something about building hospitals? I thought hospitals were part of an institution so we couldn’t build them?

Last edited:
I also just noticed Michigan has the Toledo Strip. Lol

Reactions:
Migration%20Map%201%20Fixed.png
I won't lie, seeing the Canadian Maritimes get labelled as New Brunswick nearly made me scream. New Jersey gets it's own state, but Nova Scotia can't even escape being called 'New Brunswick'?

Addendum: I also hope I'm seeing things, and that Rhode Island, Delaware and Vermont aren't also separate states while, say, Canada is stuck with stupidly oversized states that even subsume multiple provinces into them.
As soon as I saw that it was all New Brunswick I was like "aww the hosers aren't gonna be happy with this one..."

And I'm one of those hosers! Sort of. As much as I'd really like to see Nova Scotia as a separate colony I think this was possibly done for gameplay reasons? Or maybe the map isn't done yet, I don't know. Considering this appears to be at some point after the start of the game (Central America seems to have broken up) there's also the slight possibility that Nova Scotia does start out separate but has been consumed by New Brunswick in this screenshot as also seems to have happened to Lower Canada and the HBC for whatever reason. However, I think this is sort of unlikely. Anyway, hopefully they add in a separate Nova Scotia before release because I think that would be cool!

Think you might be out of luck on the state regions though. It seems like for most countries other than the US liberties have been taken with the actual internal borders in order to suit gameplay. Just the way it goes sometimes I suppose! At least the west looks mostly right I think.

Reactions:
That's the country, not the state region, I don't think we know if it's one or multiple state regions yet though hopefully it's multiple. I agree it's strange that it's called New Brunswick though, and that they should be separate British subjects like Upper and Lower Canada instead of being lumped together into one. Though if they have to be together, Maritime Union would be a better name.
Oh yes, most of my shock (at first) was seeing it called New Brunswick, rather then The Maritimes or Atlantic Canada or something, especially since it was one state in Vic2. My later shock was the add-on to my post.

As soon as I saw that it was all New Brunswick I was like "aww the hosers aren't gonna be happy with this one..."

And I'm one of those hosers! Sort of. As much as I'd really like to see Nova Scotia as a separate colony I think this was possibly done for gameplay reasons? Or maybe the map isn't done yet, I don't know. Considering this appears to be at some point after the start of the game (Central America seems to have broken up) there's also the slight possibility that Nova Scotia does start out separate but has been consumed by New Brunswick in this screenshot as also seems to have happened to Lower Canada and the HBC for whatever reason. However, I think this is sort of unlikely. Anyway, hopefully they add in a separate Nova Scotia before release because I think that would be cool!

Think you might be out of luck on the state regions though. It seems like for most countries other than the US liberties have been taken with the actual internal borders in order to suit gameplay. Just the way it goes sometimes I suppose! At least the west looks mostly right I think.

I wish they were taking liberties for gameplay in Canada rather than being overly literal. The idea that places like Quebec or Ontario are all one state is almost painful to me given the way states work. Even ignoring that it makes trying to cultivate cities like Toronto or Montreal pointless since they'll automatically blend into the hinterland.

Reactions:
I remember one of the things they mentioned with reworking province and state sizes was being able to make every US state its own state. The only one that looks weird now is Maryland, and that's just because DC understandably needs to be bigger and also it's eaten Virginia's eastern shore. The New England states do appear to be their own state regions, which does make it weird that the Maritimes look like they aren't separate.

Reactions:
I also just noticed Michigan has the Toledo Strip. Lol
Wow, good eye. That was apparently resolved the same year as game start according to Wikipedia. Will there actually be an event that flips those provinces over to Ohio? I suppose it would be possible to do. We know states can be split, and while this isn't quite the same thing it seems like if you can do the one you can do the other.

If you are splitting Vietnam in a geographic way, Annam state region should extend further south to cover the southern end of the Annamite Range or split Mekong region into the actual Mekong Delta, Tay Nguyen(which contain the southern Annamite and its mountain valleys) and the upper coastal region goes to Annam.
Also Tonkin should either extend further south or rename to Red river Delta.

The states of Dongbei/Manchuria seems not accurate, of course there is only a few people live in there, while I dont think it is administered like that map:
1634702663386.png

The Fengtian. Heilongjiang and Girin in 1821
1634702710549.png

The Dongbei Three Provinces in 1911
1634702738148.png

The Girin before 1881
1634702865877.png

The Girin in 1908
1634702925073.png

Girin in 1911
1634703799233.png

Heilongjiang in 1880
1634703092703.png

Heilongjiang in 1911
1634703463657.png

Liaoning(Fengtian/Mukden, or called Shengjing General District) before 1866.
1634703597589.png

Fengtian province in 1911

Attachments

• 1634703015410.png
    1634703015410.png
    1,9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2Like
Reactions:
The screenshots showing migration seem to be showing country names. If that's the case, why does "New Brunswick" own all of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island? All three were separate colonies by 1836. Nova Scotia and New Brunswick became part of Canada when it was created in 1867, and Prince Edward Island joined later in 1873. If you are going to lump all three into one, the name should be Nova Scotia and not New Brunswick. In the 1700s (before being split apart) the entire area was all part of the colony of Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia was also the most populous and most important of the three before, during and after the time period covered in Victoria III. Preferably the three will be split up into 3 separate colonies, but if it's decided to keep them as one tag then please change the name to Nova Scotia.

If a single named has to be used, then surely the name of the most important of the three colonies (which is also the name used when the three colonies were previously united) makes the most sense.

It would be like if the union of Sweden and Norway was to be represented as a single tag, and was named "Norway" instead of "Sweden". Of course "Sweden" is the obvious name, because it the more important of the two.

View attachment 766386I’m just curious, but it’s interesting to note that there are clergyman pops working on slave plantations. Is there a historical basis for this? Sounds interesting

Also, did I get the video right, or did they mention something about building hospitals? I thought hospitals were part of an institution so we couldn’t build them?

Clergymen aren't working on the plantation - they OWN it (or at least part own it along with aristocrats).

I think it represents church tithes rather than direct ownership but it's a way of having the members of the church receive an income and thus fund their lifestyle.

I think it was just a bad choice of phrase with hospitals - I think you still pass a law to SUPPORT hospitals but you don't actually build them.

• 3Like
Reactions:
W
Time for another splendid Monthly Update Video from the Victoria 3 team! In this video, we are covering topics that relate to internal politics.

Topics covered, in order by time stamps:
00:23 - Standard of Living
04:15 - Political Movements
07:12 - Slavery
10:31 - States
12:54 - Migration

For the screenshots used in the video, please see the files attached to this post!
I notice that one of the screenshots says "Services is expensive"

View attachment 766386I’m just curious, but it’s interesting to note that there are clergyman pops working on slave plantations. Is there a historical basis for this? Sounds interesting

The clergymen are there because we dont have a separate church building where they can work. The clergy represent the churchs in the villages. Anyways, slave plantations are not a separate building, but rather just a regular plantation with all/some of its labourer jobs being taken by slaves.

On hospitals, while they are a institution, you still need to enact the institution and that action can be seen as building a hospital.

• 1Like
Reactions: