Victoria 3 | Monthly Update #3 | September

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

commissar roach

Sergeant
Community Ambassador
102 Badges
May 27, 2011
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Welcome to the September Update Video for Victoria 3! For this Dev Diary roundup, we're delving deeper into markets and infrastructure!

Attachments

• Base Price 3.png
    Base Price 3.png
    134,4 KB · Views: 0
  • Buy vs Sell Orders.png
    Buy vs Sell Orders.png
    138,6 KB · Views: 0
  • Customs Union.png
    Customs Union.png
    346,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Market Access.png
    Market Access.png
    527,9 KB · Views: 0
  • National Markets 1.png
    National Markets 1.png
    435,2 KB · Views: 0
  • Oversee Connection.png
    Oversee Connection.png
    480,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Production.png
    Production.png
    429,2 KB · Views: 0
  • Shortage 1.png
    Shortage 1.png
    73,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Shortage 2.png
    Shortage 2.png
    145,9 KB · Views: 0
  • Shortage 3.png
    Shortage 3.png
    69,6 KB · Views: 0
  • Subject Relationship.png
    Subject Relationship.png
    473,1 KB · Views: 0
  • How to increase infrastructure.png
    How to increase infrastructure.png
    619,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Infrastructure 2.png
    Infrastructure 2.png
    546 KB · Views: 0
  • Infrastructure Usage.png
    Infrastructure Usage.png
    713,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Infrastructure.png
    Infrastructure.png
    898 KB · Views: 0
  • Local Economy 2.png
    Local Economy 2.png
    218,9 KB · Views: 0
  • Market Access.png
    Market Access.png
    520,9 KB · Views: 0
  • Natural Infrastructure 2.png
    Natural Infrastructure 2.png
    454,9 KB · Views: 0
  • Natural Infrastructure.png
    Natural Infrastructure.png
    538,9 KB · Views: 0
  • Employment 2.png
    Employment 2.png
    260,6 KB · Views: 0
  • Employment.png
    Employment.png
    199,5 KB · Views: 0
  • Full Employment.png
    Full Employment.png
    140,9 KB · Views: 0
  • Professions.png
    Professions.png
    311,2 KB · Views: 0
  • Qualifications 2.png
    Qualifications 2.png
    479,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Qualifications 3.PNG
    Qualifications 3.PNG
    70,9 KB · Views: 0
  • Qualifications.png
    Qualifications.png
    430,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Wage 2.png
    Wage 2.png
    139,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Wage 3.png
    Wage 3.png
    178,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Wage.png
    Wage.png
    310,9 KB · Views: 0
  • Budget 2.png
    Budget 2.png
    143,2 KB · Views: 0
  • Budget.png
    Budget.png
    203,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Expenses.png
    Expenses.png
    195,6 KB · Views: 0
  • Gold.png
    Gold.png
    592,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Income.png
    Income.png
    165,1 KB · Views: 0
  • Loan.png
    Loan.png
    508,1 KB · Views: 0
  • Taxes.png
    Taxes.png
    320,3 KB · Views: 0
  • Gold Reserves Investment Pool.png
    Gold Reserves Investment Pool.png
    427,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 37Love
  • 16Like
Reactions:
Nice, they are really showing us the map this time.
One thing though:
WHY is Limburg owned by the Netherlands!?

Edit: Also, for the interested
Sicily is GP #9
Brazil is #10
Austria is #4
Japan is #79

Last edited:
  • 16Like
Reactions:
Doing like 20 backflips in a row involuntarily from the sheer joy of looking at a bunch of images of maps

Edit: Wait, hold on, obligatory complaint about a map detail I don't like, it seems like British Columbia and Oregon Territory are split away into their own nation which I assume is maybe the Columbia Department, owned by the North West Company. The only issue is that the North West Company and the Husdons Bay Company (which I assume is the big blob taking up most of central Canada) were merged by the British Government in 1821, so by the start date they should be one big blob.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Austria is getting a “+10 from Modern Sewerage” bonus to its state infrastructure in one of those images. I wonder if that affects POP mortality as well.

They’ve changed the price indicator to also include the percent above and below the base price a good is. That’s a nice change.

Motor industries seem like they produce locomotives as their base good, so I guess they’ll get started a lot earlier than I had assumed. Probably a good choice.

And gold mines don’t seem to have any Production Methods? That’s interesting…

• 1Like
Reactions:
shortage-1-png.756363

This is a super-interesting image to me. No shortage penalties until you get to only 1/4 of demand satisfied? Also, going from 25% covered to 19.14% covered is a 23% penalty - so basically linear from 25 to 0?

shortage-2-png.756364

Also, the most you can pay is +50% over base price? These are work in progress numbers, but not the numbers I expected...

• 6Like
Reactions:
Edit: Also, for the interested
Sicily is GP #9
Brazil is #10
Austria is #4
Japan is #79
That is not very meaningful because it can be assumed that the screenshots are not from 1836. Japan had no population of 40Mio+ until late 19th century and motor industries wont exist 1836. Im more wondering in case of Japan that theyre still just #79 even if industrialized. In Vic2 they were always a great power after Meiji-Restauration.

• 11Like
Reactions:
That is not very meaningful because it can be assumed that the screenshots are not from 1836. Japan had no population of 40Mio+ until late 19th century and motor industries wont exist 1836. Im more wondering in case of Japan that theyre still just #79 even if industrialized. In Vic2 they were always a great power after Meiji-Restauration.
Was wondering about same thing. What year it can be? 1880? Its also strange that Austria has massively bigger GDP and literacy and similar population, while their life needs are lower than Japan. I wonder if screenshots about Brazilnand Two Sicilies are also similar later date..

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, the connection between Sicily and Naples is based on railroads. Ok, fair enough, this could count as railroads, then small ships across Messina and then then railroads again.

But this begs the question- is there also a possibility to move goods by ships between say Palermo and Naples, if both have ports? Or are you doomed to land-based infrastructure alone when the provinces are connected by direct landline to the capital?
The same goes also for say, California and New York. Sure, the voyage across Strait of Magellan is long, but it is still better then no access?

• 3Like
Reactions:
So, the connection between Sicily and Naples is based on railroads. Ok, fair enough, this could count as railroads, then small ships across Messina and then then railroads again.

But this begs the question- is there also a possibility to move goods by ships between say Palermo and Naples, if both have ports? Or are you doomed to land-based infrastructure alone when the provinces are connected by direct landline to the capital?
The same goes also for say, California and New York. Sure, the voyage across Strait of Magellan is long, but it is still better then no access?
The Dev Diary said that you could do port to port trading, so it’s probably the case that the land-based infrastructure is better developed. The tooltip seems to imply this too: it says Sicily is connected to the market through a land route, but presumably could be connected through a sea route instead.

I’m not sure of the actual history here. Was Sicily trading mostly across the straight or was it trading through Palmero? Anybody an Italian history expert?

Also, the most you can pay is +50% over base price? These are work in progress numbers, but not the numbers I expected...
This does seem to be the case, given that Bohemian market screenshot. The fact that the Devs have stayed mum on price floors and ceilings makes me wonder if they are still not sure if those are final yet.

• 2Like
Reactions:
i like the creativity, but miss game mechanics as previously discussed:
- stockpiling of goods that cant be stored forever like grain
- money system.. absolutely noble dude, but just to me not realistic enough (you miss out on complete cool game mechanic of exploring for precious metals etc., mining aspect).

regarding infrastructure: indeed a railway line changes something, another one increases capacity but another one, i just struggle to see these changes reflected to current metrics/numbers being used.
Now you have the chance i would opt for a drastic change: make it visible on the map and build it like railroad tycoon bit more up macro/zoomed out of course

Reactions:
I was unsure if I should open a thread for this so I am asking here:

Why Victoria 3 and not Victoria III?
I know the previous one is Victoria 2 but it is weird that this is the only one without Roman numeric.

Reactions:
Welcome to the September Update Video for Victoria 3! For this Dev Diary roundup, we're delving deeper into markets and infrastructure!

Hurry up and announce a release date!!

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I was unsure if I should open a thread for this so I am asking here:

Why Victoria 3 and not Victoria III?
I know the previous one is Victoria 2 but it is weird that this is the only one without Roman numeric.
According to a dev response (famous Discord q&a), it was so if the game was leaked, nobody would believe it.

(Of course this sounds too comedic to be 100% true. Perhaps it was an artistic decition, the Roman numeric would have looked similar to Hearts of Iron and wouldn't fit with the current game style which is more of a Victorian-era Europe aesthetic rather than the British looking Victoria 2 style)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hey, a change I think I noticed from the Art of Victoria screenshots: in those screenshots Dutch Indonesia was marked simply "The Netherlands" indicating they had direct rule over that territory but now it appears there's a nation called "Dutch East Indies", as indicated by the tooltip in the screenshot with the South East Asian market map. Very cool!

• 2Love
Reactions: