Victoria 3 | Monthly Update #1 | July

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Unrelated to the game but that parrot cardigan is swag

• 2Like
Reactions:
I seriously look forward to the first time I boot this game up, pick a country, then spend 20 minutes just clicking through every menu and pick box with delight! I’ve known about Vicky 3 since the announcement, but still feel like I’ve got to pinch myself every now and again.

Reactions:
I find it really strange that peasants have such a huge political strength, given how we were told they'd be mostly politically inactive (iirc).

Reactions:
I find it really strange that peasants have such a huge political strength, given how we were told they'd be mostly politically inactive (iirc).
Well even assuming their political strength value shown includes a debuff from political inactivity (it might be showing their theoretical strength not their practical strength, although I think that would be a problem on its own) Aristocrats + Clergymen, which are probably about 5% of the population but have as much political strength together as peasants who look to be about 2/3rds of the population.

Aristocrats by themselves who seem to be a tiny sliver of the population have almost a fourth of the political power. Not entirely crazy in my opinion.

Even in absolute monarchies, you couldn't just totally ignore peasant opinions.

Regardless, don't assume peasants will act as a block, they will probably be splintered in their views, and probably support traditional power structures anyway.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Is there joint production in the game? I can't think of where it would be useful other than late game fuel processing, but it'd be useful for modding.

View attachment 740302

Kind of concerned that they seem to have implemented price floors/ceilings. From this image alone multiple goods are at their max of 45 and one at 60. This implies that victoria3 markets are going to be extremely inefficient.
I'm guessing that just means prices are just really high from what they used to be, not that they can't go higher. At some prices reach the 'really high' category and no matter how much higher they get there isn't a better way of describing it.

it might be showing their theoretical strength not their practical strength, although I think that would be a problem on its own
That's what came to mind as well, it won't be quite so informative if it doesn't show their de facto strength, instead showing a theoretical value.

Even in absolute monarchies, you couldn't just totally ignore peasant opinions.
True, but the peasants being the strongest pop politically still sounds strange to me.

Regardless, don't assume peasants will act as a block, they will probably be splintered in their views, and probably support traditional power structures anyway.
Fair enough.

I wouldn't call a political strength of less than 30% relative to population huge.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I wouldn't call a political strength of less than 30% relative to population huge.
Well, they are the most influential pop, so I'd say it's pretty huge.
I get that peasants shouldn't be irrelevant, but I wouldn't say they should be more influential than the aristocrats either, by a long shot.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well, they are the most influential pop, so I'd say it's pretty huge.
I get that peasants shouldn't be irrelevant, but I wouldn't say they should be more influential than the aristocrats either, by a long shot.
Peasants in that chart are only the pop type with the most overall political strength because they make up 2/3 of the country. Look at the second highest political strength pop, aristocrats. They're barely a sliver on the numerical population chart. So aristocrats clearly have far, far more political strength per capita then peasants.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Peasants in that chart are only the pop type with the most overall political strength because they make up 2/3 of the country. Look at the second highest political strength pop, aristocrats. They're barely a sliver on the numerical population chart. So aristocrats clearly have far, far more political strength per capita then peasants.
Which is fair, but even as a group would the peasants be more influential than the aristocracy?

Reactions:
Which is fair, but even as a group would the peasants be more influential than the aristocracy?

Probably? The prospect of a unified bloc of peasants makes rulers of the period tremble in a way even a noble revolt could not. But getting the majority of them unified, politically activated and angry was extremely difficult.

• 2Like
Reactions: