• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

VictAARian Cross: Best Completed AAR, 2007

• Sins of the Fathers (Papal States 1836-'78) by ComradeOm

Votes: 22 34,4%
  • Victory or Death: A Serbian WWI AAR by Fiftypence

Votes: 5 7,8%
  • Empire of Thousand Years - An Austrian AAR by Kabraloth

Votes: 3 4,7%
  • Under God, the Mormon Republic of Deseret by superskippy

Votes: 13 20,3%
  • ~ To Live and Die in Dixie ~ * Revolutions* by Volga

Votes: 8 12,5%
  • The Shahs of Persia: The struggle for an Empire by Wannabe Tatar

Votes: 13 20,3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
It is time once again to vote for the VictAARian Cross. As a group, we have made the decision to hold a contest for the full year of 2007 and with your help, we have selected six fine nominees.

Please try and give each a solid read so you may cast an informed vote. The poll will remain open until March 31st at which time our winner will be declared.

Congratulations to all of our nominees and good luck. The nominees are:

Sins of the Fathers (Papal States 1836-'78) by ComradeOm

Victory or Death: A Serbian WWI AAR by Fiftypence

Empire of Thousand Years - An Austrian AAR by Kabraloth

Under God, the Mormon Republic of Deseret by superskippy

~ To Live and Die in Dixie ~ * Revolutions* by Volga

The Shahs of Persia: The struggle for an Empire by Wannabe Tatar

Comments are welcomed and enjoyed. :D

My vote goes to superskippy for a stunningly brilliant ahistorical storyline, good use of illustrations and pictures and clear, decisive gameplay. A brilliant AAR all round.

Under God FTW!

I loved that AAr. The alternate history and wonderful style kept me locked onto that AAr. A good mix of pics and text, and excelent battle descriptions.

Well, I gave all these AARs a fair shake. Much talent to be had in all!

But it came down, for me, to between FiftyPence's Serbian AAR, and ComradeOm's Papal/Communist history.

And in the end, there seemed to me no contest. Sins of the Fathers is a truly remarkable work, studious, believable, well-told, comprehensive, and poignant.

While I am no defender of the Catholic Church, I do find the premise of Communism prevailing over Catholicism disturbing and frightening... But that's no reason to deny the acclaim this story deserves! :D

Congratulations, ComradeOm! Great work.

Rensslaer

Excellent voting so far, folks. Already 26 votes and a tight three way race at present. :) Keep it coming.

Two weeks left to vote and the numbers are looking good, folks. Way to go!

40 votes in and a front runner and two tied for second looks to be the contest.

25 more votes and we tie the last voting period. I know we can do it, Victoria. Let's see those votes. :)

23 votes now :D A great list of choices here, its always hard to choose just one.

Less than a week left and with 20 more votes we can break the post-beta voting record! Get those votes in before it's too late. :)

To live and die dixie!

Quite a horserace for 2nd! :D

Rensslaer

Less than 24 hours left to vote...

With 57 votes in, we need 9 more to break the post-beta record. You can do it, Vickie. :)

Wow. Tie for second... Does that mean we have 4 winners?

Congratulations, Everybody! Especially ComradeOm! Great work!

Rensslaer

Indeed it does, Renss. One Gold, two silvers and one bronze. :)

Congrats to all of the nominees and certainly congrats are in order for our winner, ComradeOm!

Way to go, folks! :D

(And Vickie almost broke the record...needed just a few more votes, but it was close.)

Given the amount of abandoned/crashed AARs we see, I think anyone who finishes is worthy of praise, but this class had some especially intriguing AARs. I think a big congratulations is in order for all the nominees.

Of course a special congrats goes to ComradeOm for one of the better works I've seen on the Vicky forums in some time.

Wonderful job ComradeOm! This is my first Victoria Cross that I've ever seen but having read through (admittidly I only managed to get through Om's and fiftypences) I understand why those completed AAR's are so valued. Congratulations once again Om! Me and Tatar will enjoy our silver crosses :D

To Om!

Apologies for the delay all but I’ve been busy this week... although its been a good sort of busy. I'll try to keep this brief before the forum goes on the blink again

First of all I have to thank those who voted for me. Its an incredible honour to win this, the highest award (for Vicky at least) in AARland. That it was in the face of such excellent competition (the past several months have seen a real renaissance in this subforum) only increases the importance of this award in my mind. So congrats to all

To be honest I had no idea that my AAR would be so well received. The writing was too dry, the pacing too slow, the ending anti-climatic... I had my doubts about the quality of the work from the beginning. That I persevered is entirely due to the continuous praise, feedback, and general comments from my many readers. Yet again – thank you. I’ll try to whip up an epilogue, or something, as a small reward

Finally, cheers to coz for his work in staging this whole awards process. AARland wouldn’t be the community it is today without such efforts

Did I miss the denouement? Dammit! Never mind!

Congrats, ComradeOm! You certainly had my vote- a fantastic and scholarly (that's a compliment- however "dry" you thought your piece was) AAR!

And also, congratulations to everyone who got this far, and to the nominees who didn't (as Quirinus said), as all of the AARs, those that won and those that didn't, were excellent!

Congratulations ComradeOm, I only wish I had started following your AAR before it ended :) And more congratulations to AARland in General. Vicky is alive and well thanks to works like these. 64 votes for an award is amazing!