• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there somewhere I can find the actual videos of these panels? Google only brings up other Youtubers talking about the panels. PDX Youtube and Twitch channels don't have the panel videos.

Are You going to include currencies and inflation mechanics, or money will remain way it was in Victoria II?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Commending you for your community engagement here, thank you!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Apologies if I missed it on the discussion, but do we have any insights into the development and utility of canals? Not just Panama, Suez, and Kiel, but also minor canals that were utilized throughout most of the 19th century worldwide.

Transporting goods between man made waterways would be useful, and could be enhanced/ improved as railroads begin crisscrossing countries.

Along these lines, would significant investment into canals be possible? Perhaps alternate pathways, such as the Nicaragua canal which was originally proposed in 1825.

Not only would military supplies, trade goods and services travel through these mechanisms, but also cultural assimilation/political ideas.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They do sound a bit counterintuitive at first I'll admit, but they serve their purpose very well! The reasons a player could want to subsidize an industry is to a) keep production at maximum, and b) make sure Pops who produce that good aren't starving. Whichever your motivation is for doing it, this guarantees the employees of the building are paid a wage at least high enough to be competitive, ensuring they don't go looking for employment elsewhere even though their employer can't pay them enough. As a result, the building continues to run at full employment (assuming you have enough qualified Pops in the state to work all available jobs, of course.)

If we had instead put a slider on state subsidies for the output goods, effectively paying the building more for producing those goods, there would be a certain equilibrium on this slider where the net balance of the building is sufficient to not decrease Pop wage. Any setting below this could still cause the building to bleed employees which will reduce goods production, while any setting above it would just lead to profits being pocketed by the building owners. While the latter is a pretty cool effect - state intervention effectively leading to subsidized Capitalists - it's also a bit exploity and terribly micromanagey. As goods prices fluctuate the equilibrium point will change along with it, requiring constant maintenance, potentially in every state where that building can be found.

With the approach we've taken we achieve the exact same effect as always contributing enough money to the building to reach the equilibrium point, but with a single click per building - or indeed one click for all buildings of that type in your country.
wage subsidy is historic or only game mechanic?

wage subsidy is historic or only game mechanic?

Wage subsidies as a tool used by Government have a long history. It looks like their implementation in Vicky might be a little different to a "classic" wage subsidy, but it still reflects other types of support used by Government's historically (and to this day) for industry and the labour market.

Wage subsidies as a tool used by Government have a long history. It looks like their implementation in Vicky might be a little different to a "classic" wage subsidy, but it still reflects other types of support used by Government's historically (and to this day) for industry and the labour market.
wikipedia says it was proposed by arthur cecil pigou in 1933, i meant whether done in 19th c.

Reactions:
wikipedia says it was proposed by arthur cecil pigou in 1933, i meant whether done in 19th c.

I'm fairly sure that this kind of thing, by another name, was done earlier (although not necessarily in the same manner as proposed by Pigou). However, as per the discussion above, the actual form of the subsidy looks more historically like a mix of minimum wages and a price floor for building output, both of which were used during the Vicky time period.

To be perfectly clear, the way subsidies work in-game is simply that you can elect to subsidize a building if you want to ensure it's always performing optimally at as close to full employment as is possible. This forces the building to maintain competitive wages, and in exchange you're promising to keep the building's balance sheet in the black. This means if the building is actually profitable enough on its own your subsidies have no impact on your treasury, whereas if you're trying to sustain a completely failing industry to ensure its workforce doesn't have to return to subsistence farming or emigrate it might cost you a lot.

This isn't at all suggested to actually be a governmental wage subsidy in-game, it just works out that way mechanically.

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thanks for clarifying Iachek, very much appreciate any tidbits we can get :) (and what you describe is more-or-less a price floor/wage floor combo, by the sound of it - although if the building will still stay in the black even if it wasn't producing anything due to no input materials, then it'd be a bit different).

The PDF mentions trade fleet only for import and export. Does it mean that within the empire the goods will still be magically teleported from India to London even without any fleet at all?

Reactions:
The PDF mentions trade fleet only for import and export. Does it mean that within the empire the goods will still be magically teleported from India to London even without any fleet at all?

One possibility:

They have already said there is no global market - only local markets. If you want to get goods from India to London you'll have to import/export them from the relevant markets - even if you 'own' both markets.

We wont know until they do a DD on how markets are handled.

• 2Like
Reactions:
One possibility:

They have already said there is no global market - only local markets. If you want to get goods from India to London you'll have to import/export them from the relevant markets - even if you 'own' both markets.
I believe "local market" means a Great Power and its spherelings. So, chances are that British India will be part of the same local market as London.

I believe "local market" means a Great Power and its spherelings. So, chances are that British India will be part of the same local market as London.
We don't know that yet, it could very well be that there's an "Indian market" that the British has 100% access, but is a different entity from the British market itself.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is there a quote somewhere that makes you believe this? Because what I’ve seen says that there are tons of smaller markets at game start, with an undivulged amount of market consolidation occurring over time. So chances are that you’re wrong.

Reactions:
Is there a quote somewhere that makes you believe this? Because what I’ve seen says that there are tons of smaller markets at game start, with an undivulged amount of market consolidation occurring over time. So chances are that you’re wrong.
My concern is based on my experience playing Vic 2 only, there's no any quotes that could prove the same for Vic 3. I would be happy to be wrong. By the way, could you point me to the quote that makes you believe there could be "tons of smaller markets" within a single country?

This is going from memory, and my memory's not that great, so I could be off, but I think it was said that at game start, a nation could be many different markets, and that technology can help turn it into a single market (although in the case of British India imo that should always be a separate market within the British Empire, as long as it's still within said empire). If that's the case, then all being well it would be fine.

Personally, though, I'd still like to see ships required for coastal trade within an existing market. Smaller (but still substantial in size compared to pretty much every other human vehicle except larger ships) vessels were vital to trading along coasts and rivers, and being able to disrupt coastal/riverine traffic could have significant impacts on the flow of trade.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I suspect we won't see a specific local trading fleet but rather ports that must be manned, consume ships and provide market access and transport.

Though how exactly ports and railways differ beyond inputs, it would be nice to know. Hopefully there is some concept of connectedness by sea and land infrastructure. Also it would be nice if certain provinces had potential for a number of port building slots the way a province could support say a size 3 iron mine.

• 1Like
Reactions: