• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i understand that infrastructure will need to be upgraded to improve the movement of goods (increase volum, logistics etc), but something i have always wanted in vic3 is transportation cost. Will there be transportion cost (in the price or elsewhere) and transportation time for the goods?

like it wouldnt make sense that the british isles can access good from the indian market the same price as indians simply because britain controls india.

Reactions:
i understand that infrastructure will need to be upgraded to improve the movement of goods (increase volum, logistics etc), but something i have always wanted in vic3 is transportation cost. Will there be transportion cost (in the price or elsewhere) and transportation time for the goods?

like it wouldnt make sense that the british isles can access good from the indian market the same price as indians simply because britain controls india.
I’m pretty sure goods bought in regions with poor access to said goods will pay more for them. Whether that’s directly implemented as a “transport” cost, or the goods just being more expensive due to lower supply I’m not sure, but that would still kinda encompass your point.

Reactions:

like it wouldnt make sense that the british isles can access good from the indian market the same price as indians
simply because britain controls india.
From the Q&A on discord.
Screenshot_20210523-211542.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this in, but regarding this line:

"Government subsidies guarantee a good wage to keep production high"

Will it also be possible to give subsidies specifically for the factory's purchase of input goods instead of the worker's wages?

• 3Like
Reactions:
This is looking better than what I dared to imagine improved Victoria economics would look! Hopefully it will also work in practise and not be bug-ridden and / or terribly slow to run...

Reactions:
In general it looks good, although:

- Why only 5 levels of taxation? I prefer to have a slider like Vic2 where you could adjust exactly the % of taxation, but I wouldn't mind the buttons instead of the slider IF there are more levels and not just 5, something like 10 levels (0%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100%).

- Is there going to be a "tax effectiveness" thing like Vic2? For example, if your State is weak, you tax at 40% but you only collect 20% of tax because your "tax effectiveness" is 50% (so half of 40% = 20%). You need a powerful State to collect 100% of the taxes you set.

- There also seems to be a limitation in choosing how progressive income tax is. You can´t choose which class to tax. It was fantastic in Vic2 how you could try different options like taxing the rich and middle class but not the poor, or taxing the poor and the rich but no the middle class, etc... it was fun playing with that and also the effect it had on how POPs promoted or demoted.

- You can only apply consumption tax to 3 goods? There should be the posibility to tax all goods, not just 3 of them.

- Dividends taxes cannot be change? I think we should be able to choose how much we tax dividends, or to choose not to tax them at all.

- The "Economic System" tab of the country looks too basic and simple, but as it isn't explained I'll wait for further information on how it works.

- I see no image of tariffs... I hope tariffs can be set in a similar way to Vic2!

This comments are about things I don't like, but as I said in general I think the economic system is looking quite decent as it aims to be similar to Vic2's economy.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
- Is there going to be a "tax effectiveness" thing like Vic2? For example, if your State is weak, you tax at 40% but you only collect 20% of tax because your "tax effectiveness" is 50% (so half of 40% = 20%). You need a powerful State to collect 100% of the taxes you set.
What determines tax effectiveness? I think Victoria 3 is trying to stay away from abstractions and arbitrary modifiers that we saw in previous games such as EU4. I don't think it would be good to be able to just magically add a 50% tax efficiency modifier by adopting a law without doing anything to earn it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What determines tax effectiveness? I think Victoria 3 is trying to stay away from abstractions and arbitrary modifiers that we saw in previous games such as EU4. I don't think it would be good to be able to just magically add a 50% tax efficiency modifier by adopting a law without doing anything to earn it.
In Vicky 2 it was determined by tech and amount of bureaucrats in a province

• 15Like
Reactions:
Seems like it'll be tied to the "bureaucratic capacity" thing.
aaa.png
It was mentioned how, at game start, the Ottomans and the Qing have very inefficient taxation systems as well.
- There also seems to be a limitation in choosing how progressive income tax is. You can´t choose which class to tax. It was fantastic in Vic2 how you could try different options like taxing the rich and middle class but not the poor, or taxing the poor and the rich but no the middle class, etc... it was fun playing with that and also the effect it had on how POPs promoted or demoted.
Apparently, different tax types will have different effects on each pop class.
It may not be as direct as what Vic2 did, but it's also more realistic.
aa.png
- You can only apply consumption tax to 3 goods? There should be the posibility to tax all goods, not just 3 of them.
Just my assumption, but I don't think there's a limit to how many goods you can add with the "+" button there.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think you understand what I mean. "Tax effectiveness" is not an abstraction, is something realistic. In Vic2, your "tax effectiveness" in a province is defined by the ammount of bureaucrats you have in that province.

You need public workers, tax authorities, to collect taxes.

For example: Morocco shouldn't be able to collect the same % of taxes from its population as France. Your tax capacity should be something you need to develop, gain, mantain and pay.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Apparently, different tax types will have different effects on each pop class.
It may not be as direct as what Vic2 did, but it's also more realistic.
View attachment 723163
It still seems a huge step back from Vic2:

TAXES BY CLASS IN VIC2
Rich: 0% to 100%
Middle: 0% to 100%
Poor: 0% to 100%
vk7ewz3f58k51.jpg

This gave lots of possibilities, and it was very fun. If in Vic3 we only get a few options like "Tax more the poor" or "Tax more the rich" I'm going to be very dissapointed :(

Reactions:
It still seems a huge step back from Vic2:
I wasn't making a judgement of value, just posting the information we currently have on the subject.
As far as my personal opinion goes, I'm fine either way really, can't say I think it's a huge step back honestly.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this in, but regarding this line:

"Government subsidies guarantee a good wage to keep production high"

Will it also be possible to give subsidies specifically for the factory's purchase of input goods instead of the worker's wages?
More precisely, if the government subsidizes a building, it guarantees that workers in that factory will be paid at least a "fair wage" according to national norms (so in a country with high Standard of Living, subsidies cost more than in countries with low), and that the building at least breaks even. So if you've overbuilt your Steel Industry to ensure your construction and motor industries are operating at peak efficiency, to the point that Coal and Iron is now super expensive while Steel is cheap, you will have to not only top up the wages of the Pops who work there to ensure they don't take jobs elsewhere, but also pick up the rest of the bill if the input goods cost more than the output revenue gained.

• 1Like
Reactions: