• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fallofthepurple

Fugitive Miner
49 Badges
May 30, 2013
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
Here are my hastily written down notes from the Vickynomics panel and some blurry screenshots (there was no better presentation).

Basic Facts:

basicfacts.png

Production, Consumption & Infrastructure:

Production and consumption arent 1:1.
There are basic economic buildings that extract base resources i.e Farms, Mines etc. which then feed into more complex manufacturing industries. Some basic resources are also consumed like Grain & Fish
Depending on poptype and class consumption can differ. Labourers arent very picky, if you are a coastal country with lots of fishing then that will do. If you have lots of arable land and grow grain than you can feed your population that way instead. But higher classes will demand more and different goods like Cigars and Tea.
As your economy and standard of living grows so does consumption and trends will change and your economy will have to adapt to keep up.
One of the benefit of a fulfilled high standard of living is that pops become more loyal which in returns means less people that may want to start an uprising. The inverse is of course also true.

popneeds.png

"Needs can be fulfilled by a variety of goods. After needs are fulfillled any leftover money builds Wealth and Standard of Living. Improving Standard of Living leads to increased population growth and turns pops into Loyalists. Worsening conditions turn pops into Radicals"

Infrastructure amongst other things determines how well your goods get from buildings to markets and back. i.e Farms produce Grain and send them to the Market where they are then sent to other Buildings or Pops for consumption, Infrastructure usage accounts for both ways and must be met.
Rivers are an important form of transportation for goods, particularly early. Railways, roads and ports play a larger role as the game progresses. Terrain is also important.
Infrastructure Buildings like railways and ports also employ people and have a cost and consumption.

infrastructure.png

"Infrastructure from rivers, ports and railways bring the world closer together improving access to goods and movement of people. Markets are regions in wich goods are freely traded one or several countries under a signle market owner"

Markets & Trade:

Markets have a tendency to consolidate into larger blocks i.e the Commonwealth Market.
Markets at first glance give you a summary of supply and demand. Supply and Demand is used to calculate the
Price of a good which is the most important value.
Producers benefit from high prices while consumers benefit from low prices and vice versa.

pricing.png

"Every good has a market price based on supply and demand. States with market access due to underdeveloped infrastructure suffer adverse local price. Pricing is everything. Underproduced goods are expensive and make you reliant on imports. Overproduces goods are cheap to buy but unprofitable to make"

For example: If your Industry relies heavily on the consumption of Sulphur and the price increases this can be bad for you, especially if you dont produce Sulphur yourself and are reliant on imports
Gunboat diplomacy and treaty ports can help open up isolationist markets and help facilitate trade.

trades.png

"Use your trading fleet to import and export goods with alles and rivals alike. Export goods you have a competititve advantage to manufacture. Import resources you lack or manufactured goods your people need. Trade routes can be mutually beneficial or aggressive"

Different States provide and rely on different resources and access differs from state to state.
Oil can only be discovered in very specific states.
If you have an abudance of industry "fuel" i.e Iron, Coal, Oil and dont have the army or alliances to safeguard it you will have a target on your head.
Trade happens through imports and exports from market to market.
Trading can be very beneficial but also make you reliant on others which can have diplomatic repercussions.
For example: If another player or AI nation is specifically focusing on a certain industry/good you could flood the market and undercut them to destabilize their economy.

econsystem.png

Nonexhaustive list of Economic Systems: Mercantilism, Free Trade, Agrarianism, Command Economy etc.
You can micromanage your economy but you dont have to.

Businesses, Labour and Taxation:

taxes.png

"Tax your economy in various ways to make money for the treasury. Income Taxes: deducted from Wages paid. Poll Tax: per head. Consumption Taxes: on goods bought. Dividends Taxes: on profits made. Who is taxed how much depends on your Laws"

Privately owned businesses will try to maximize profit.
Wages are directly linked ot the price of the goods produced/available and the profit that the businesses generate.
You [the Government] make money by taxing wages. But how you tax is up to you: progressively, regressively, poll tax, consumption tax etc.
You can tax the consumption of individual goods i.e Cigars, Liquor, Tea etc.
Taxes are established and abolished through Laws. You can abolish Income tax if you so desire.

wages.png

"Privately owned buildings have full control over their wages and try to maximize their profits. Countries control Gov. and Military Wages which benefit different parts of their society. Government subsidies guarantees a good wage to keep production high"

Conclusion and Notes:

conclusio.png

You can micromanage your economy a lot but you dont have to. The first few DDs will focus on the economy.

The game is still in Alpha and everything is subject to change!

edit: updated the post with the wonderful slides in all their glory that were provided to us by MagnusPDX

Attachments

• taxes.png
    taxes.png
    114,1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 29Love
  • 21Like
Reactions:
Thank you for the notes!

It is a well thought, interconnected system that I adore.

I love how the fulfillment of needs affects the loyalty of pops. This is such a great idea that lends a great deal of realism to the game.

It is also great how infrastructure determines the connection of different regions. As the great geopolitical mind, Mackinder thought, with the improvement of the means of travel, the world feels closer and closer to you. Because you can get to other places faster and faster. But is it not just about the speed of the army. It influences the economy and the society as well. It seems to be well implemented in Vicky3.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hopefully you can substitute Tea with Coffee! Quite immersion-breaking for patriotic Americans to be craving a cuppa tea (unless it's iced tea, of course).

• 7Like
Reactions:
Got a link?
The VOD isnt up yet but you should be able to go onto the youtube livestream and scroll back in time iirc.
Hopefully you can substitute Tea with Coffee! Quite immersion-breaking for patriotic Americans to be craving a cuppa tea (unless it's iced tea, of course).
The examples provided by me were just those mentioned, im certain you can also tax other goods like Coffee.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The VOD isnt up yet but you should be able to go onto the youtube livestream and scroll back in time iirc.

The examples provided by me were just those mentioned, im certain you can also tax other goods like Coffee.
I was actually referring to the consumption aspect, not taxation- for upper class pops to drink either Coffee or Tea like lower class pops eat either Fish or Grain.

I was actually referring to the consumption aspect, not taxation- for upper class pops to drink either Coffee or Tea like lower class pops eat either Fish or Grain.
Coffee and Tea both existed in Vicky 2 so I dont see why not. You could perhaps tax Tea so high that it becomes unaffordable and people have to consume Coffee if you are such a drink-fascist. :D

Reactions:
Wages are directly linked ot the price of the goods produced/available and the profit that the businesses generate.
Does this mean that a worker at a car factory would make more money than a worker at a textile mill? If a factory is particularly profitable this means the profits trickle down to the workers?

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Speaking of "drink-fascism" This could be a good way to implement Prohibition. Just tax spirits into space. It would surely solve a host of social and moral problems in society, right?
Yeah you could and people probably really wouldnt like it either :p

Although im curious whether thats the only way to deal with prohibition or if there will also be specific prohibition and temperance laws the players can enact.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does this mean that a worker at a car factory would make more money than a worker at a textile mill? If a factory is particularly profitable this means the profits trickle down to the workers?
On paper that should be the case although they didnt go into detail how much factory owners are willing to actually share with their workers and how much theyll pocket themselves. The ratio could be anything, it could also by dynamic and dependent on laws i.e Minimum Wage.

Reactions:
As i understood factories increase wages to compete with other factories for workers, not necessarily because they profitable.

Reactions: