• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
View attachment 722674
Hello everyone! Benjamin Magnus here, your friendly neighborhood Community Ambassador. We would like to give all of you the opportunity to view all the slides from the Vickynomics panel at your leisure. Attached to this post, there is a PDF with all the slides, in their full resolutions for you to pour over. Hopefully we will be be able to get you images from all of the other panels as well in the near future. Cheers!
the community ambassador posted this in another thread

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'm surprised tariffs weren't discussed, given how central they were to, for example, the United States economy, which didn't have a federal income tax until the Civil War (and even then as an emergency war measure). I'd have expected the implication of tariffs on domestic industries to be addressed, especially since they talked about economic warfare in the form of dumping a certain type of good, which tariffs would theoretically protect against.
I've the hunch that the interaction between different markets is going to be fairly limited going by the trade route limit, so maybe tarriffs aren't in game. If that's the case it would be truly a shame, considering how important were in the time period both in politics and economics.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hopefully they also simulate supply effects on wages i.e. the number of people qualified for the job. I know they already adjust wages based on minority discrimination.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This seems to suggest that goods may have different prices in different markets, unlike in Vic 2 where goods had a single global price determined by global supply and demand. This is actually a huge improvement if true.

• 8Like
Reactions:
This seems to suggest that goods may have different prices in different markets, unlike in Vic 2 where goods had a single global price determined by global supply and demand. This is actually a huge improvement if true.
This is confirmed, the price of a good is different from market to market instead of a universal price

• 3Like
Reactions:
Gotta tax cigars and alcohol if they are coded to be inelastic goods, as they are in reality.

I wish there was also some sort of health metric for pops. If one manages to reduce consumption of tabacco, alcohol, and working hours, we should expect better health, higher life expectancy, stuff like that.

It'd also be nice to be able to set inheritance taxes. That'd create interesting dynamics with the upper classes.

Loving what I'm seeing so far.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Gotta tax cigars and alcohol if they are coded to be inelastic goods, as they are in reality.

I wish there was also some sort of health metric for pops. If one manages to reduce consumption of tabacco, alcohol, and working hours, we should expect better health, higher life expectancy, stuff like that.
Can't wait to make a literal Marlboro Country. Easy way to save on pension spending.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That is indeed the big question. If the AI can't handle it, or if the meta is the same for every country it doesn't really matter how ambitious the system itself is.
The problem is more likely that the AI will handle it by a certain point in time. The AI will run into massive problems once the player starts manipulating the market. I do not assume that aggressive dumping politics will be punished diplomatically by the AI. The AI will kindly accept if the player sells subsidized goods to them in order to destroy their industries. I expect even less from the AI itself to carry out such maneuvers.

This is really exciting. Ability to close off my economy and be a self-sufficient state is all I wanted from Vicky2. Looks like the feature is finally here. The local market system is a great addition. :)

But what about food needs? Will people starve and die if they don't manage to buy food goods due to prices/blockades?

"Life Needs" in Vicky2 didn't seem to have much effect beyond militancy...