• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I pretty much only heard of the game because Steam went "you there! You own Pillars, you should look at this!"

That's mission accomplished isn't it? Tyranny sounds fairly niche even within CRPG circles, where everyone wants to ride dragons, woo princesses and save the world.

You're hardly going to get mass poster campaigns and TV ads and facebook spam screaming "come play this 90s looking nostalgia game where you play an enforcer for some fascist piece of work that's enslaved the world!"

Yeah, okay.

Last edited:
I pretty much only heard of the game because Steam went "you there! You own Pillars, you should look at this!"

That's mission accomplished isn't it? Tyranny sounds fairly niche even within CRPG circles, where everyone wants to ride dragons, woo princesses and save the world.

You're hardly going to get mass poster campaigns and TV ads and facebook spam screaming "come play this 90s looking nostalgia game where you play an enforcer for some fascist piece of work that's enslaved the world!"

Yeah, okay.

The premise is interesting. It really is! I firmly believe that it can sell and sell well.

I was at gamescon where Colin McComb was demonstrating Tides of Numenera and one of the first things he said that you're not here to save the world. Again.

There was cheering. People were really interested in how responsive the game was to your choices. I'm utterly stoked for the game as I was for Pillars of Eternity.

But on the flipside, look at the forum here. They don't need huge TV ads or mass posters necessarily, but if they want a strong following they should at least care about their own community portal (which.. the Paradox forums have become for this game!? Why?)

I'm only here because I'm a player of both Obsidian and Paradox games, but I don't think I'd migrate here if that was not the case :-/.

But the "community" =/= the fan base.

I made about two posts on the pillars forum, have only just signed up here and was never on any bioware or black isle boards. I still bought and played every game, plus backing, plus expansions, plus enhanced remixes, etc.

I don't give a stuff how many people talk rubbish about the game on the internet. So far, half the talk in here seems to be just people fretting over the game having politics they don't quite like in it.

What I care is that these games get made so I can play them. After Tides, Pillars, Wasteland and Divinity all got crowd funding, it shows an absolutely massive break through that Tyranny appears to be funded entirely through conventional means because the industry recognises a market for their product.

Great news for us.

Advertising costs money, however, and they've got to decide how many more buyers they can drum up by pushing it. My guess is fairly few, given the hardcore element are already watching.

If I hadn't been bored at work today, you'd never know that I was going to buy Tyranny. Just think how many more thousands are out there waiting for this to get released that aren't forum members? Everything is fine. Chill.

Given how I just read an article hyping Pillars in my local mainstream gaming site (covering everything from mobile, through consoles to PC games) I do not agree with OP. But I do think this game gets little to no attention from Obsidian or Paradox on this "official" forum.

I am, but the main problem isn't the lack of views, but the very little attention given by Paradox itself. The release is set to this year, usually a publisher spams "his" games wherever, while here the situation is pretty static.
Many (me included) will start to think that's because of a lack of quality of the game itself, and it reduces even more the interest

However, we shall see

Publishers are getting growingly more reluctant to advertise the games until the development is more or less done, as the audience lacks the mental capacity to understand the principle of "We wished to have it in, but did not manage to implement it in time", leading to "It was proooomised, you damn liars!" fiascoes.

Publishers are getting growingly more reluctant to advertise the games until the development is more or less done, as the audience lacks the mental capacity to understand the principle of "We wished to have it in, but did not manage to implement it in time", leading to "It was proooomised, you damn liars!" fiascoes.

I sure hope this isn't trying to excuse No Man's Sky which promised things it couldn't deliver up until the point of release.

I sure hope this isn't trying to excuse No Man's Sky which promised things it couldn't deliver up until the point of release.

No, I'm talking about games with visions that were actually achievable. I'm surprised that so many people thought that NMS would result in anything good, seeing as a rookie developer was creating something that was too ideal even for highly skilled developers. I can kinda understand trusting Chris Roberts (Star Citizen, which is another visionary fiasco) because he had developed several spaces games over 25 years (though they are all in one same franchise) but trusting Sean Murray and Halo Games, who only developed a side-scroller series? Why?

Uh... sorry for going off-topic there...

Last edited:
The ONLY reason I'm aware of this game at all is because I saw it on the front page of polygon. I almost NEVER visit polygon so it was a fluke I found it there in the brief/infinitesimal amount of time it was posted for all to see on the main page.

It definitely seems like there is a lot less awareness about this game. Perhaps that differential is part of the negative without being launched with kickstarter as a natural megaphone. Hopefully there is more of a press/youtuber media blitz so people know this exists.

2016 is a good year for this to hit, like usual there is not much competition for rpg game dollars on the pc, and this year NOTHING of note has been or will be released, it's all gotten pushed to 2017.

We need this.

Yeah I've see several websites takl about Tyranny recently. There was no need to talk too much about it when it was too early. But even then, it was not that hard to hear about it if you read specialized websites - and most RPG fans do.

And I'm sure that most people who are interesting by the genre already know about it. By the way, @Sammael_Majere , Divinity : Original Sin 2 will enter beta in September this year, there's also Torment - Tides of Numenera, and there are probably other RPGs planned for this year.

I wouldn't worry too much about advertising. A game that isn't popular because it doesn't find its community is a very rare thing nowadays, especially when it's released on Steam, and when it already had success with an other title like PoE.

In fact, Tyranny is already rather popular in the communities I frequent. A game that risks to be unnoticed would rather be the new game by the team who made Expeditions : Conquistador, which is called Expeditions : Vikings. I don't think that Tyranny is not as niche as you think. Of course it's not an Elder Scrolls, but a game is not either a blockbuster or a niche game. Tyranny is going to be inbetween, just like Pillars.

Marketing is just as important as the product in this day and age. I obviously could not care less about the marketing if the product is good but bad marketing and a bad product are not an uncommon correlation. That being said Banner Saga 2 had atrocious marketing and the game was absolutely stellar. I am not that worried.

The question is how much Hype is too much hype?
Do we have release date? Not sure if it is worth (safe) start spin the wheel before we have release date.
cRPGs are rather unhandy when it comes to early presentacion. Since you cant show too much plot.

So now we gonna dual wield frying pans. Lets bake for the glory of Kyros the Overcook.

Remember: Baking a cake is only permissible if made for the glory of Kyros. Baking a bad cake is hence an insult to the Overlord!

Paradox seems to treat this game as an after-thought at best and while I'm a huge fan of Paradox as a developper the majority of their published catalogue has been well, rather less than stellar...
I second this.

EU2, HOI2, Darkest Hour, EU3, Vicky 2, EU4, and CK2 are the only PDX games worth playing IMO.

Seriously, if I never bought EU3, I wouldn't even be on these forums.

I second this.

EU2, HOI2, Darkest Hour, EU3, Vicky 2, EU4, and CK2 are the only PDX games worth playing IMO.

Seriously, if I never bought EU3, I wouldn't even be on these forums.

Paradox is not developing this..

Well the lack of release date never helps.
I'm excited about this game and I'm gonna buy it but I can't very well hop on the hype train when I don't even have a release month to be excited about.
For all I know this could come out on December 31st. No point getting overly excited for something that comes out 3 months from now, just makes the wait worst.

Publish calendar is always a twisted thing.
December could be hard due to all the winter sales.
November is cool (perfect) since it is not challenged term, and it still have chance for best of the year awards. But november is soon, and game might not be yet ready.