• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

canadave

Private
42 Badges
Mar 17, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities in Motion
Greetings! This is my first attempt at an AAR. I've decided to play as Venice, as Italian minors are my favourite to play and since I've never played as them before, which should make things interesting. And to make them doubly interesting, this is my first real attempt at a game in In Nomine. Also, I'm not playing ahead, so there could be a crash and burn at some point!

I would really appreciate comments, constructive criticism and suggestions! :)
------------------------------

11 March, 1412. There is perhaps no more important day in Venetian history, the day upon which Doge Michele Steno, in his 13th year as ruler of Venice, passed the historic Proclamation of Venetian Superiority. While little known at the time outside of the Venetian elite, it established a guiding policy for future governments of the Republic. The purpose of the proclamation was simple: to establish Venice as a dominant power in the Mediterranean and eventually Europe.

When the proclamation was issued, five provinces were held by Venice: Venezia, Verona, Treviso, Corfu and Crete.

1.jpg

One of Doge Steno's first decisions was to create a more balanced military for Venice. Land forces would be improved, as would the offensive capabilities of Venetian armies.

2.jpg

Soon after the issuing of the Proclamation, the priests of Venice told the Doge that God had given Venice an important mission. Territorial expansion would undoubtedly increase Venetian power, and neighboring Aquilea seemed like a prime target.

3.jpg

Doge Steno also recognized the importance of trade to Venice's strength, and set out to make it a priority.

4.jpg

Steno also realized that Venice did not exist in a vacuum, and soon established a small network of Italian and Germanic allies, who would hopefully aid Venice in time of war.

5.jpg

In 1413, Venice's eye turned to her Greek holdings in Crete and Corfu. A decision was made to covert the Orthodox residents to Catholicism, the One True Faith of the Venetian people, and Crete, the more populous of the two provinces, was selected to be the first target of conversion.

6.jpg

1413 also saw Venice begin to establish economic dominance over the region, controlling significant shares of the trade in the Central Mediterranean's two important Centers of Trade, Venezia and Liguria.

7.jpg

By 1414, Venice's economic situation was starting to look strong.

8.jpg

Doge Steno could only hope that this strength would spread quickly to the republic as a whole...

comagoosie said:
It seems like your mission is a tough one. Though I have faith that you can do it.

It's certainly not a strong starting position, but I hope I can make something of it!

Enewald said:
Yay, Venice! :D
Conquer Byzant, just make sure OE gets nothing.
Emperorhood, maybe?

Byzantium is certainly an option. I'd like to get a better foothold in Greece before the Ottomans become too established, certainly.

Scorpi said:
Isnt there a mission where as Venice where you can form the new roman empire? :confused:

As I said, I've never played Venice before, so I guess we'll find out. :p

Capibara said:
Nice choice! Will you unify Italy?

I haven't decided yet. That may be a decision the Republic will face at some point, though. ;) :D

I'm going to play for a while later, so hopefully there'll be an update after that!

Greece certainly seems like a good starting point for colonialism. Personally, I'd steer Venice towards being a Mediterranean colonial power instead of an Italian unifier...the sea has always been her forte. Subjugate the islands of the Med, and conquer the Levant not for Christendom, but profit :cool:

1414-1421

After several years of little activity within the Republic, Doge Michele Steno passed away during the final year of his term, and an election was held immediately to chose his successor.

9-1.jpg

Ultimately, Marco Bassano, a former officer within the Venetian army, won the minds of the electorate, promising that he would bring military glory and foreign riches to Venice. However, Bassano's term would prove to be a disastrous one...

10.jpg

Though he had a brilliant military mind, Bassano had little concern for the administration of the Venetian state, nor for foreign affairs. He quickly set-out to improve the military technology employed by Venice.

11.jpg

Bassano began using diplomats to warn other nations, hoping to gain a Causi Belli to bring Venice to war, but to no avail. Finally, he grew impatient, and in May, 1418, he declared war without cause upon the Byzantine Empire, who were already fighting the Ottoman Empire. Switzerland and Salzberg both betrayed our military alliances, but Ferarra and Siena were loyal, and went to war with the Venetians against the Greeks.

12.jpg

The Doge himself quickly mobilized an invasion force, landing in Morea and quickly dispatching the isolated cavalry regiment defending the province.

13.jpg

With beseiged Morea near to falling, Bassano ordered a detachment of cavalry from Crete to land at Salonica, who handily defeated the newly raised defenders in the province. Things began to unravel for the Doge at this point, despite success abroad, as a peasant uprising, 8,000 men strong, occured in Venezia.

14.jpg

Bassano maintained his offensive in Greece for another year, hoping to break the strength of the Byzantine forces. However, despite besieging the mighty walls of Constantinople herself, Bassano found himself bound to sending a peace deal with the Byzantines, taking only Morea, as the rebel threat continued to grow in the Venetian heartland.

15-1.jpg

A month later, with unrest prevalent and the city of Venice occupied by rebels, Bassano was booted from office in favour of a diplomat, Agostino Ermelli. Unfortunately for the Republic, Ermelli was merely a capable man; fine in a time of peace, but insufficiently skilled to deal with the problems at home.

16.jpg

While the Armata de Venezia tried to retake their namesake province from the rebels, General Morosini tried (and failed) to defeat the rebel army. And, to add insult to injury, Aquiela had us excommunicated by the Pope!

17.jpg

Thankfully, Austria came to the rescue of Venice, leading a large force of mostly cavalry against the rebels. After being joined by a force of Venetians, the rebels were thoroughly outnumbered and outclassed, and soon surrendered.

18.jpg

A year later, Venezia was very close to falling back within the hands of her rightful rulers, and Doge Ermelli and the rest of Venetian government were preparing to move out of the temporary capital established in Verona. But then... disaster struck!

19.jpg

Dark times had come to Venice, less than a decade after the Proclamation made by Doge Steno. Would the Republic (not to mention wounded Venetian pride) be able to recover from the short-sighted decisions of Doge Bassano? Only time would tell...

that he gets a new ruler, stab hit, revotl risk, and white peaces with everyone, and the territory under enemy control might get ceded to them.
Not good.

But this might be the beginning of the beginning.
Or the beginning of the end.

FYROM said:
Greece certainly seems like a good starting point for colonialism. Personally, I'd steer Venice towards being a Mediterranean colonial power instead of an Italian unifier...the sea has always been her forte. Subjugate the islands of the Med, and conquer the Levant not for Christendom, but profit :cool:

Yeah, despite my first somewhat disastrous attempt at expanding my Greek holdings, I do plan on continuing to try and expand my territory around the Med.

spl said:
How does the OE look? You started when they are very weak.

You can probably see in a couple of the screens above that the Ottomans a reeling in a multi-front war right now... I think there are four or five nations who are at war with them. I'd love to take the chance to hit them myself, but I'm not really in any condition to fight another war yet.

And to answer the questions about the consequences of the nation being broken, well... the effects were nowhere near as bad as I initially expected them to be. I'll expand upon that in my next update. :)