• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi and thank you for the feedback everybody.

I seem to be again in the situation where the game has become less interesting because Venice is crushing everybody in its path. But I have only myself to blame since I chose to reload to learn more about the game and see what can be achieved using my house rules. I will try and play "ironmode" from now on.

I am also considering turning this game in a "Tale of two Venices" and go back to the save game after the very first update, the Doge's dream. But since my time budget is limited and EU IV is coming soon anyway, I wonder whether it is worth the time.

Changing tag is not an option, as the AI is mercilessly going to wreck Venice, as I found out in a test run, and the result is not going to be interesting anyway.

Damn poor poor France, that has got to hurt, but Dauphine and Guyenne are not your vassals? The new Doge is a military man I guess we will see a rather military active Venice with him.

No, they are just normal allies. They don't get released as vassals.

Nice. I'm impressed with Venice's success.

Thank you !

Now that was a nice France bashing ;) And so, with the blue blob somewhat checked, what will Venice do now ? Another visit to the Ottomans ?

Thank you! Actually, if you look at the Europe map in 1658, you'll see that Bohemia is being attacked by Austria and Prussia, and we'll have to deal with that. Not to mention the mission to conquer Somogy in Hungary

Well done crushing the French.
Is it worth it to keep the Aragon alliance?

Thank you.
I think so - as long as there is plenty of other enemies to deal with.

1568-1571: Fourth War with Austria

While we were busy against France, another war started. Prussia attacked Münster for some reason, and now Bohemia and Münster are at war against Prussia and Austria

EU3_14.jpg

We have a casus belli against Hungary, to recover Somogy. But it is less gamey to intervene in this war and prompt Hungary's intervention.

We join the war against Austria, but Bohemia peaces soon after that, because it has to protect Ruthenia against Lithuania.

EU3_1.jpg

In September 1569, we are at war against Austria, Hungary and a bunch of minors.

EU3_2.jpg

We invade Austria, after a couple of vassal stacks have been defeated by the Austrians.

EU3_5.jpg

In February 1570, after defeating the Austrian several times, Venetian troops are sieging Wien.

EU3_26.jpg

Battles report:

EU3_18.jpg

By January 1571, the victory is total.

EU3_28.jpg

Battles report:

EU3_29.jpg

In November 1571, we are at peace again. We have fulfilled the mission, as Sogomy has become a Venetian province, and now we have a core on it. Apart from that, we have milked Austria for prestige, made them release Ansback and give up the vassalage of the Palatinate.

EU3_33.jpg

Therefore, this is Europe in November 1571.

EU3_34.jpg

We will have to deal with revolters in Mali now, who have declared independence.

EU3_38.jpg

Next mission : conquer the French colony Powhatan, which will be possible after the truce with France runs out.

EU3_35.jpg

Even with infamy over 10, our trade is still doing ok.

EU3_37.jpg

Incomes in the world.

EU3_36.jpg

World map and Venice map

EU3_MAP_VEN_1571.11.5_1.jpg

EU3_MAP_VEN_1571.11.5_2.jpg

Last edited:
I see you don't skip any opportunity to bash Austria on :D It is too bad that you can't make it even weaker via releases or by acquiring a good bunch of provinces :/

So another war with France is on the horizon. Too bad that Portugal still exists, because otherwise you could make a major dent in France iberian possessions by releasing it, since you will probably be able to get that colony without a peace deal .

Thank you Danking and Ricardo Rolo for your feedback.

I have added a new house rule, which I have respected so far.

Do not become DoTF, and avoid using the Holy War casus belli unless there is also another reason to go to war (core, alliance, crusade)

1571-1581 : Second war with France

After so many wars, our main priority is recover manpower and let infamy go down. We build an embassy for that, and combined with our doge Enzo Rovigo, ADM 5 / DIPL 7 / MIL 9, we lose 1 infamy a year.
By May 1578, we are back to over 30k manpower, and we are losing 1.40 infamy per year, thanks to our 9 Dipl doge Alvise Contarini. Luckily the infamy only marginally affected our trade.

EU3_73.jpg

Venice fought only one war between 1571 and 1578, against the Incas. The Castillian had occupied some provinces, and therefore it was about time Venice claimed some territory there too. In 1576, Venice had occupied the whole Incan nation.

EU3_5.jpg

In March 1578, Venice had conquered a big part of the Inca nation, including three gold provinces.

EU3_6.jpg

In 1578, our truce with France would expire. In March 1578, France was at war with the Ottoman Empire, over Morea, and would probably end up losing some Egyptian provinces.
The other major war was the Lithuanian conquest of Ruthenia - notice that Lithuania's eastern province were occupied by Castille, and not by Muscowy. Muscowy had opted out of the war in 1571 getting the provinces Bryansk and Bogutjar.

Münster had annexed Holstein, and Nevers had declared independence from Burgundy. Prussia owned the provinces of Silistra and Budjak since 1562, in the Balkans.

EU3_13.jpg

It was in this situation that Venice declared war on France. Now Aragon wasn't allied with France any longer - we made them cancel the treaty in the last war, as I forgot to write.
In November 1578, Venice was at war with France. A war we expected to win easily.

EU3_35.jpg

France's main focus was now in Iberia, and therefore Aragon was struggling against France, Castille and Portugal.

EU3_36.jpg

It was an intercontinental war, as our troops were active also in the New World. The casus belli, in fact, was the French province of Powhatan.

EU3_37.jpg

EU3_39.jpg

EU3_40.jpg

By August 1579, several French provinces had fallen. Castille and Portugal had opted out of the war and war score was at 28%.

EU3_46.jpg

But at the same time, Aragon was struggling and would need help sooner rather than later.

EU3_48.jpg

By June 1580, Venice had moved most of her troops to Iberia, to fight against the bulk of French forces. But war score was already at 33% and we were only waiting for Powhatan to fall.

EU3_50.jpg

By April 1581, the war was over. There were no major territorial changes in Europe. France had to give up their alliance with Portugal and Castille, and pay some money.

Champagne had acquired the province Berry from them in a separate treaty, separating Northern France from Southern France.

EU3_61.jpg

The province Venice had gone to war over, Powhatan, had been conquered. But for some reason, the Cherokee had attacked us and we were now at war with Cherokee - and Sweden.

EU3_63.jpg

We had already used this opportunity to seize their colonies in the Caribbics and Central America. But in Louisiana, they were outnumbering us and we would have to deal with their 24k stack.

EU3_68.jpg

In the meantime, as many countries had been born, we had acquired trade rights all over the place and Bohemia was back in our trade league.

EU3_66.jpg

You are probably not interested to hear that Venice's income is the highest in the world and we are trading all over the place. Therefore I will show our income breakdown.

EU3_76.jpg

As I am addicted to trade, I hate having just a little infamy. I got greedy after the war with France and payed 8 infamy for two islands in the Caribbics, I shouldn't have done that. Maybe.

EU3_77.jpg

I picked "Patrons of the Arts" as a fifth national idea, because I think it would suit Venice. No military ideas are allowed by my house rules, and some evil ones like "Press Gangs" neither.

I am considering switching to Administrative Republic to get more magistrates and allow for more centralization, but I would hate to lose my trade league and trade rights.

This is the sphere of influence map.

EU3_80.jpg

Our next mission is to conquer Szolnok, Hungary.

EU3_64.jpg

Nice going, was wondering why you didn't take the province next to Powhatan until you mentioned the islands.

Good to see Prussia making an early start on those oilfields in Romania :)

Nice going, was wondering why you didn't take the province next to Powhatan until you mentioned the islands.

Good to see Prussia making an early start on those oilfields in Romania :)

Thank you, I actually took two Caribbean provinces from France in the first war. In the second war I just took Powhatan.
It would be interesting to see what happens to Prussia in Victoria then ;).

Oh How I´d hate to be Hungary right now.

Nah, they just need to cede one province and they will be fine.

1581-1585 : Szolnok, Württemberg and North America

In 9 August 1581, we are at war with Sweden and Cherokee. The most important war theatre is North America.

EU3_81.jpg

EU3_82.jpg

The Swedes have a core on Trarza, and therefore they concentrate their efforts there in Africa.

EU3_83.jpg

Near the end of the month, we have made peace with the Swedes. We have gained four new colonies in North America.

EU3_95.jpg

In Europe, the only war that is raging is the Burgundian Aggression. Not sure whom they are attacking, but the only result so far has been aggravating Bohemia.
We get called to arms, we become war leader and we finish the war.

EU3_117.jpg

In 1582, our truce with Hungary has expired and we can try and fulfill the mission.
We declare war on Hungary and we end up being at war with Switzerland, Sweden and Münster as well.
Guyenne has called us to arms against Swahili.

EU3_88.jpg

We deal with Switzerland, while our allies deal with Hungary.

EU3_90.jpg

EU3_91.jpg

The undeveloped Venetian colony of Choctaw changes owner several times.

EU3_92.jpg

By April 1583, we have made peace with Münster and Switzerland, and Hungary has been occupied.

EU3_100.jpg

In October 1583, the war is over, and Szolnok now belongs to Venice.

EU3_103.jpg

Meanwhile a new colony has been founded in North America, and two of our territories become connected.

EU3_105.jpg

Next mission : vassalize Württemberg.

EU3_108.jpg

It's part of the empire, so we have to call Bohemia to some fake war. In June 1584, we are at war with Württemberg, Münster and a couple of minors.

EU3_109.jpg

In August 1585, Württemberg is Venice's vassal.

EU3_111.jpg

Several wars are raging in Europe, but the two interesting ones are between Ottomans and England and between Muscowy and Lithuania.

EU3_114.jpg

A naval battle between the Ottomans and England could actually be interesting...

EU3_123.jpg

But Venice has a mission to conquer Transylvania.

EU3_121.jpg

I will leave this here and let you guess what happens next.

EU3_125.jpg

Map of the world in August 1585.

EU3_MAP_VEN_1585.8.28_1.jpg

Last edited:
I think its time to push back the Turk, take not only Transylvania, but Banat as well :D Your infamy can´t that high up.

I think its time to push back the Turk, take not only Transylvania, but Banat as well :D Your infamy can´t that high up.

I do believe that according to one of his rules he only takes provinces with cores (either that of Venice's or one of her vassals') or a mission on it.

I do believe that according to one of his rules he only takes provinces with cores (either that of Venice's or one of her vassals') or a mission on it.

Well, most of the time I do as you say, but actually I don't have a fixed rule about that. I am trying to maximize income as Venice would do. But I usually don't take uncored provinces from "civilized countries" unless they are very rich, they are in a strategic position and/or I am "pissed off".

So far it has happened only twice, as far as I can remember : Barbados and Saint Lucia from France (they are rich provinces, Venice needed a basis in the Caribic on the way to the other colonies, France was the aggressor against the Empire, France is evil) and Linz from Austria (it is a gold province, Austria was the aggressor, Austria is evil and the province could be sold to Styria). Not that the AI would care, it is some kind of implicit RP.

Last time I went to war with the Ottomans Empire I let them pay through the nose rather than get poor and uncored provinces from them - Venice would do that. And Venice has always been the aggressor agains the Turks so far. Not to mention Venice is still trading in Thrace and Alexandria - so we can't consider them "totally evil".

Undeveloped colonies in the new world are fair game, though.

Last edited:
1586-1593 : Getting the cores

The war against the Ottomans was very uneventful - so uneventful I even forgot making screenshots and saving. Already by 1586, we signed a peace treaty and the Ottomans ceded Transylvania and paid a lot of money.

EU3_1.jpg

The next mission was to protect against the Ottomans - that is, have more troops than them. It would take some time to achieve that, and we would have to go over our force limit.

EU3_5.jpg

In 1591, after a short war with Songhai, we conquered the Jenne province, on which we had got a core through border dispute.

EU3_14.jpg

In 1591, for a short while we had more troops than the Ottomans and we fulfilled the mission. And now begin the "Build manufactory missions". No, I won't build a Fine Arts Academy in Brescia, I will build a Textile Manufactory to get the Wool bonus - and fail the mission.

EU3_34.jpg

Our 9 Diplomacy Doge is creating Border Disputes as there is no tomorrow...

EU3_38.jpg

Thanks to one of this border disputes, in 1593 we get the Sopron province from Hungary after another uneventful war.

EU3_18.jpg

Europe in 1593. Ottomans and England are fighting each other with enthusiasm.

EU3_25.jpg

There are FOUR other cores Venice must claim. One is Wolof, Sweden, in Africa....

EU3_32.jpg

and three others in South America. Two of them in Aragon, which is our ally. That could be a little problem....

EU3_21.jpg

While we will be probably more than happy when dealing with the core in English Chile.

EU3_29.jpg

We created a COT in the cored province of Powhatan, that covers most of North America and some Central America, stealing a lot of trade from the Swedish Pensacola and the Castillian Grao Para - where we are also present.

EU3_47.jpg

While in the Ivory Coast COT trade also La Plata and South Africa.

EU3_43_b.jpg

And there is a lot of trade in Venice as well.

EU3_40.jpg

COTs of the world, balance sheet and maps of the world.

EU3_48.jpg

EU3_50.jpg

EU3_MAP_VEN_1593.10.27_1.jpg

EU3_MAP_VEN_1593.10.27_2.jpg

Last edited: