• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You don't need to trap them in Corfu. You just need them trapped on that side of the Bosphorus and unable to get MA to reach you and you can bankrupt them just like Byzantium start does.
That second part seems a little dicey... I haven't done it enough to have a real scientific report, but it seems like they get access through Hungary or Serbia/Bosnia fairly reliably.

That second part seems a little dicey... I haven't done it enough to have a real scientific report, but it seems like they get access through Hungary or Serbia/Bosnia fairly reliably.

Perhaps I should have been a little more clear on "that side" ;). If you can sink their fleet, you can usually pull them into Asia if they aren't already well on their way through Hungary by sieging their provinces.

Perhaps I should have been a little more clear on "that side" ;). If you can sink their fleet, you can usually pull them into Asia if they aren't already well on their way through Hungary by sieging their provinces.
That makes more sense. Sinking their fleet isn't usually a problem--they bring it over to help siege down Albania, so you get a free shot at an ambush.

It's funny, I gave up on all the experimenting with this line of play and decided to just do a "normal" ironman run through... and the game handed me a lovey-dovey Hungary situation.

Flash forward to the early 1500s and Venice is rocking Styria (full size minus Trent), Croatia, and Ottomans as vassals, integrating Byzantium and Bulgaria after getting all their cores. Over in the new world Terranueva (Venetian Newfoundland :)) picked up free cores on all the native Canadian provinces thanks to some well timed peace deals, and we're teeing up for a similar series of wars as Manhattan is colonized...

It's amazing what you can do if you can co-opt Austria into fighting your wars for you early on.

"1. Diplomatic
2. Naval
3. Defensive."

You clearly went the wrong way, it's TRADE, PLUTOCRATIC, and then whatever benefits the most from the administrative ideas given your situation(usually economic or innovative). I'm not even in the 1500s with Venice and already have this:

venice123.jpg