• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have been playing solely Venice as I love the constant anticipation and diplomatic challenge that comes with a) being non-HRE bordering the usual Emperor, b) competing with the 2 muslim powers for trade, c) holding the other italian powers in check, d) racing the other major powers (France, Spain, Portugal) to stay relevant. I have become pretty good at it, and I usually quit games because I am far too powerful. I would like to add some advice to your guide.

1) The main strength of Venice is that it is FLEXIBLE. You have the ability to expand into the rich Italian provinces with your strong army (and mercenaries), or into Austria during other wars. You can expand into the Balkans or snipe Greece from the Ottomans for Alexandria -> Ragusa -> Venice trade, which keeps the Ottomans poorer. You can use your merchants to influence the flow of gold around the Mediterranean, influencing the Genoa traders by never letting the money arrive. You can expand into Egypt to head toward India for trade. You can snipe Constantinople from the Ottomans and slowly outpace them. The only thing you can't really do is colonize the New World, but you can do that if you focus on it. Simply ask for fleet basing rights from Portugal and explore Brazil.

2) The main weakness of Venice is that she has strong enemies everywhere, and the more you expand/trade, the more people you'll piss off. You can't afford to fight more than 1 major power at once for awhile, and even that should require money for mercenaries.

Ok, some specific advice.

3) Watch your AE. You can't afford to let coalitions form against you like they did historically, as those coalitions may involve HRE Austria, France, Ottomans, and the Mamelukes, SIMULTANEOUSLY. That's scary!

4) Convert early if at all, and grab Rome if you do. And maybe Judea. I have tried staying Catholic and I have also tried converting to both Protestant and Reformed. I definitely feel that Protestant is the way to go as Venice. First, you should take Papal State territory early in the game as it is rich and does not involve Austria. Since you have: pissed off the Pope, all the other majors will remain Catholic (they have too much Curia control), and holding Rome as non-Catholic is worth Prestige and a Missionary, I strongly recommend converting. I find the -10% Idea Cost to be much better than +1 Adviser options. Money is money, you will have plenty anyway. Convert early to get lots of free conversions. In my current game, I am 100% Protestant, did NOT take Religious ideas, and have a lot of land in Italy, the Balkans, Greece & Islands, and Egypt/Syria. It was easy and painless because I swapped early.

5) Snipe Constantinople IMMEDIATELY, as well as grab Ragusa. The Ottomans will not know quite what to do once you acquire Constantinople, and that is a ton of money you get and they never see. I also snipe the rest of Greece, Diploannex my vassals, wait for the mission to take Cyprus, and then use that to take Rhodes. And use Cyprus to take Egypt piece by piece.

6) I recommend using Plutocracy, as you don't need the Military points for actual Military, and Plutocracy improves your economy with Mil points! And the finisher is gorgeous.

7) You do NOT need Diplomacy or Religious ideas. Take something in the Diplomatic area for your second branch (so you can spend Adm on cores and tech for more idea groups), I don't think you need Trade so early. Perhaps Naval to compete with the Ottos if they take it too. You'll need that morale boost, and the forcelimits help you trade!

8) Punish Austria and Ottos frequently. Whenever Austria is in a war, make sure you have a claim on one of their provinces (Gorz first), and then try to take some rich Italian minor. Get both provinces in one war, weakening the Austrians and killing 2 birds with one stone. When the Ottos get in an Eastern war, or the Mamelukes get into war with the Ottos, jump them. Block the Bosphorus against Ottos, destroy Mameluke armies when taking Egypt.

9) Don't form Italy unless you really need to reset your AE. Venice's ideas are better, and Venice is a better trade node (less sharing with France and Spain) to collect in. The other reason to form Italy is if you colonized, as the only way to get New World trade over to you is at Genoa. The route is Brazil -> Ivory Coast -> Timbuktu -> Tunis -> Genoa.

People are asking about ships, ideas, and culture. If you form Italy, you will NOT lose Plutocracy, but you will be able to also take Autocracy. You can always lose accepted cultures if the total tax income from that culture falls below a threshold. The exception is if you formed a culture-union country (like Italy), then your culture group is permanently accepted. Finally, I recommend always keeping a galley fleet + transports that is 1.5 times the size of your enemy's fleet. Split your light ships to the trade nodes so you have somewhere between 50% and 70% trade power in the node. Less % is more efficient, and above 70% is atrociously inefficient.

Venice can colonize fine. Its rich enough to be able to afford to do it and as a non HRE member with an Island capital it is very easy to move your capital as well. I suspect it would be actually better than some of the colonial powers as well as it is rich.

Venice is really flexible agreed. Land, navy, trade, colonial doesn't seem to matter to much. Being able to focus research and rich enough to hire mercs it can make a surprisingly good land based beat stick with the option to form Italy if you focus on offensive, defensive, diplo and maybe religion instead of the usual Venetian suspects. Your points are all good and briefly by point.

1. Agree
2. True gotta be careful
3. Don't expand to fast.
4. Conversion is not required at all, protestant seems to be the best faith by a long shot though.
5. Requires balls:) Have not done the Constantinople thing early.
6. Plutocracy is a no brainer.
7. You do not require trade early. I have tried it and 6 merchants is a few to many early game as you will lack trade power. Alexandria-Constantinople-Ragusa-Venice is the basic lifeline.
8. Yup neutralizing these 2 should be your priority, just do not be suicidal about it.
9. Italy is a bad idea unless you want to do a role play type game or focus on land based beat down or just because you want to form Italy for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Venice can colonize fine. Its rich enough to be able to afford to do it and as a non HRE member with an Island capital it is very easy to move your capital as well. I suspect it would be actually better than some of the colonial powers as well as it is rich.

Venice is really flexible agreed. Land, navy, trade, colonial doesn't seem to matter to much. Being able to focus research and rich enough to hire mercs it can make a surprisingly good land based beat stick with the option to form Italy if you focus on offensive, defensive, diplo and maybe religion instead of the usual Venetian suspects. Your points are all good and briefly by point.

1. Agree
2. True gotta be careful
3. Don't expand to fast.
4. Conversion is not required at all, protestant seems to be the best faith by a long shot though.
5. Requires balls:) Have not done the Constantinople thing early.
6. Plutocracy is a no brainer.
7. You do not require trade early. I have tried it and 6 merchants is a few to many early game as you will lack trade power. Alexandria-Constantinople-Ragusa-Venice is the basic lifeline.
8. Yup neutralizing these 2 should be your priority, just do not be suicidal about it.
9. Italy is a bad idea unless you want to do a role play type game or focus on land based beat down or just because you want to form Italy for whatever reason.

Colonization requires a few things in tandem: colonization range, a trade node on the west coast, early Exploration idea group (1st or 2nd, if you can get away with it 3rd then you already won because all of the lategame powers failed to secure their resources...), and a large deep water navy. The only one of these Venice can really have is the idea group, as being a Republic lets you blast through whichever ideas you feel are necessary by simply choosing to have that type of MP Doge. You can weasel colonization range out of Portugal, though if Portugal is in range then it should be colonizing too, so it's still difficult. You cannot afford Heavy Ships that early, you should be building Light Ships for trade and Galleys to hold off the Ottos from taking your stuff. And finally, even when you do colonize, you have to collect in the colonies at a large trade power penalty, so you should have to monopolize power which is a pain.

Can it be done? Sure, if you focus on it. Conquer something in a Western trade node and move your capital, share trade with the Iberians, build a few heavies instead of many galleys, ignore the Ottos and give up your Greek islands/Balkan provinces, spend your money on colonies instead of an army to defend from Austria, and don't convert unless you can somehow convert all of those early colonies too (which is possible, I am not sure how easily colonies convert in EU4). You can still take the Southern Italian provinces with this strategy.

Other than that we agree on everything, looks like. If people are looking for trade-colonization powers, I would recommend Portugal or Netherlands over Venice. Portugal has the best colonization position, but the worst country. It feels good to know that your colonies are your lifeblood. Netherlands are good for this because they have the opposite scenario. You will be spending the first 150 years beating France away and slowly retreating towards becoming the Netherlands (as Burgundy). Once you do so, you have the best trade node for a full Imperial Power game, but you are behind the other Imperial powers in making that empire. Now you are the underdog (which I find fun), and need to make tough decisions about colonizing hodge-podge late, invading African and Asian powers, and defending yourself from France (still). If you manage to kill France early, then you become France, probably the all-around strongest nation.

Venice probably is not suited for an early colonization game (not saying it's impossible but it's not a natural fit) but using the expansion idea line they can become an African and South East Pacific colonial power in the mid-game by securing Egypt and the surrounding areas. The thing is Venice doesn't need the Americas or Ivory coast because Portugal and gang will already be pushing all the trade towards Seville anyways. So if you focus on the Middle East, North Africa, India and South East Asia you can direct all that rich trade straight to Venice or Genoa or to Seville. At that point you just dominate the trade in Seville and it's a win win.

I am also convinced, I have not done it yet (about 10 more years and I'll be ready), that forming Italy is the best route for a late game push into Europe. In the late game money shouldn't be an issue and if your expanding like crazy and eating vassals up than keeping that RT up is going to be a hassle as it has been for me.

Last edited:
I've recently started a Venice game (ironman). After a couple of failed attempts (Austria made me a rival and inevitably came for me after the first imperial reform) I used a different strategy: I joined the empire! You are too big at the beginning, but I just released Croatia and sold Crete to Naxos. Now I just needed 190 relations with Austria, which is accomplished easily enough in the beginning. Also, I planned on feeding Croatia any provinces I get in the Balkan area to core them for me; same with Greece and Naxos.
Soon I attacked Hungary (with Austria's help) and made them give all the Croatian cores back to Croatia; suddenly I had a very capable vassal! My first idea was naval; I rushed to the 100% extra forcelimits idea (which convenently also cuts my galley costs by a third) and spammed galleys. Then I just used the old trick of blockading the sea of Marmara and the Ottomans are decisively weakened. In the meantime I also conquered some italian provinces from the various minors over there (Milan, Ferrara, the Pope...). If you or the emperor are at war, he cannot ask for unlawful imperial territory - needless to say I timed my wars in the Balkans/Greece in such a way that I was always at war when I was coring imperial provinces. Croatia is quite large now; also I got the Byzantines as my vassal (somehow the Ottomans only took Constantinople; Byzantium still had Morea/Achaea and somehow acquired Rhodes and Cyprus), and will feed them all the Greek provinces I can get my hands on.
Unfortunately, I missed a call to arms by Austria (why is that not a popup!?) and now they hate me. Oh well, I think I'm strong enough now to resist them. It's 1485, btw. I will try to form Italy, if only for the achievement.

It's 1485 I think, and I'm looking forward to the next decades!

Colonization requires a few things in tandem: colonization range, a trade node on the west coast, early Exploration idea group (1st or 2nd, if you can get away with it 3rd then you already won because all of the lategame powers failed to secure their resources...), and a large deep water navy. The only one of these Venice can really have is the idea group, as being a Republic lets you blast through whichever ideas you feel are necessary by simply choosing to have that type of MP Doge. You can weasel colonization range out of Portugal, though if Portugal is in range then it should be colonizing too, so it's still difficult. You cannot afford Heavy Ships that early, you should be building Light Ships for trade and Galleys to hold off the Ottos from taking your stuff. And finally, even when you do colonize, you have to collect in the colonies at a large trade power penalty, so you should have to monopolize power which is a pain.

Can it be done? Sure, if you focus on it. Conquer something in a Western trade node and move your capital, share trade with the Iberians, build a few heavies instead of many galleys, ignore the Ottos and give up your Greek islands/Balkan provinces, spend your money on colonies instead of an army to defend from Austria, and don't convert unless you can somehow convert all of those early colonies too (which is possible, I am not sure how easily colonies convert in EU4). You can still take the Southern Italian provinces with this strategy.

Other than that we agree on everything, looks like. If people are looking for trade-colonization powers, I would recommend Portugal or Netherlands over Venice. Portugal has the best colonization position, but the worst country. It feels good to know that your colonies are your lifeblood. Netherlands are good for this because they have the opposite scenario. You will be spending the first 150 years beating France away and slowly retreating towards becoming the Netherlands (as Burgundy). Once you do so, you have the best trade node for a full Imperial Power game, but you are behind the other Imperial powers in making that empire. Now you are the underdog (which I find fun), and need to make tough decisions about colonizing hodge-podge late, invading African and Asian powers, and defending yourself from France (still). If you manage to kill France early, then you become France, probably the all-around strongest nation.

Portugal is my next guide. Breaking 100 gold per month before 1600 and not a single merchant in Seville or down the coast of Africa and in India. I has some screen shots and an odd strategy:) Funny thing is with that 100+ gold per month and 3 advisers I'm getting 45% discount on all buildings as well. Most of it is tax as well.

Zardnaar (or anyone who feels like giving their opinion):

thanks for the tips. very useful. just wanted to know, if you do not intend to conquer Austria, is there a reason you do not recommend allying with them? I mean, I thought it would have made sense as Venice has the "historic friends" modifier, which to me suggests that Paradox at least think they are a good ally for Venice???

Or is the engine simply not capable of modeling long-lasting friendships, ie: if you border it basically and simplistically means war/enemies?

Zardnaar (or anyone who feels like giving their opinion):

thanks for the tips. very useful. just wanted to know, if you do not intend to conquer Austria, is there a reason you do not recommend allying with them? I mean, I thought it would have made sense as Venice has the "historic friends" modifier, which to me suggests that Paradox at least think they are a good ally for Venice???

Or is the engine simply not capable of modeling long-lasting friendships, ie: if you border it basically and simplistically means war/enemies?

I think historical friends has only sense for the AI, so Venice tries to establish better relations with Austria - because in that way, it won't be destroyed by the emperor. Regarding a human player: good luck, I never had the chance to ally them. In my opinion, friendships doesn't exist in politics or EU games. Long border = rivalship.

Allying Austria early is useful, but they will turn on you, in my experience they always do, so the idea is to betray them as soon as possible. Getting Gorz, releasing Styria and then feeding them all their provinces means you get a nice northern border, rich, full of mountains etc. A powerful Austria will always be a threat (at least until you reach such a size they fear you).

As for ideas Diplomatic is great as a first one, it allows smoother expansion in northern Italy, a large handful of vassals in the balkans and painless coring. Croatia / Bosnia / Serbia / Wallachia / Bulgaria / Byzantium, that's six vassals to get and diploannex in the area, Add Styria and your starting vassals and you realize you'll need diprep and diplomats really quickly.

One option not mentionned is culture switch to Greek after integrating Byzantium and restore the Empire as a Republic, it gives you a lot of cores 'not claims!) on the Ottomans (and you keep the venetians ideas while getting the byzantine missions...)

1. Join empire
2. Conquer Connaught
3. Hit NA by 1480 in Greenland
4. With dip spam, use exploration --> expansion to completely deny NA to anybody else. Steer to and collect in NA, including Caribbean.

If you can ally France (easy to do and hold if you don't have the province count for league of Cambrai) England isn't going to touch Connaught any time soon (though if Lancaster lives too long, you can actually consider re-creating the luck of the Irish achievement and getting lots of good land).

Exploration gives you more naval FL too, which with colonies you can really hike up. It shouldn't be long before you can naval-pin ottoderps.

I would also note that if you jump on the Ottomans immediately--like, the day after your truce expires--and you can bring a reasonably strong ally like Poland into the fight, you can actually beat them without the Bosphorus Strait nonsense. They don't turn into the Turkish steamroller until they've had about twenty years to consolidate their holdings, get the Janissaries going, and hit their first unit upgrade. There's a brief window of opportunity to hamstring them before that stuff happens. If everything breaks perfectly you can start out:

War 1a: you and your buddy Austria take on Hungary and force them to return a bunch of cores to your vassal Croatia right after you join the HRE.

War 1b: simultaneously, you fabricate a claim on and take Morea.

War 2a: you and your buddy Poland (and possibly Austria if they haven't yet had their sudden but inevitable betrayal) start killing Ottomans.

War 2b: right after your truce with Byzantium runs out you attack them again and force vassalize

War 2a conclusion: return a bunch of cores to Byzantium

Once the Ottomans are down you just keep stomping them periodically, then eventually take them as a forced vassal and start embarking on a quest to regain their cores. The one downside to this line of play is the growth of the mega-Mamlukes, but they seem to be something of a paper tiger.

One option not mentionned is culture switch to Greek after integrating Byzantium and restore the Empire as a Republic, it gives you a lot of cores 'not claims!) on the Ottomans (and you keep the venetians ideas while getting the byzantine missions...)

oh, now that I didn't know was possible. Nice tip. I already have Byz vassalized (with its starting provinces). Can I just verify the procedure with you: 1. continue to take all Byz core Eastern European provinces. 2. once I have them all, integrate. 3. should then get a decision to switch culture to Greek, take it 4.Restore Byzantium Empire 5. Get lots of nice cores in Anatolia!

And just to doubly, double check: I get to keep all the Venetian unique ideas (not just the generic ideas every nation can choose), correct?? Just want to be sure as I really like the Venetian ones...

To switch culture you need Greek to be dominant, more Greek provinces than any other culture and you need to move your capital to a greek culture province. Then you get the decision to culture-shift.
You can check on the wiki which provinces you need for the "restore the empire" decision, Greece + Izmit and hudavendigar (and Constantinople of course).

I did it in 1.3 and I'm pretty sure you keep the venetian ideas. I don't have a save game anymore to double-check 100% though.

Nice guide. I personally think Hungary is the biggest threat. They always want Dalmatia and Istra, and will attack you to get them. In my game, I allied Poland and was able to get beat them down. I also went east, eating kabob and converting those heathens to the One True Catholic Church!

c9xy.jpg

But is it a good idea to be a monarchy?

It is totally viable, but... weird :) You lose uberrulers and the extra Merchant but win possibilities for diplo-vassalization and PUs. If you are going to do it, do it early IMO. So that you can begin putting your dinasty everywhere.

It is totally viable, but... weird :) You lose uberrulers and the extra Merchant but win possibilities for diplo-vassalization and PUs. If you are going to do it, do it early IMO. So that you can begin putting your dinasty everywhere.
Also for maximum incongruity you can become Emperor.

I was going to ask about the switch to Byz. Looks like you have to be Orthodox too

Affirmed, both Greek & Orthodox. http://www.eu4wiki.com/Byzantium (hit 'expand' for the Restoration decision)

It is entirely possible to join the HRE by releasing Croatia as a vassal, and then achieving 200 relations with Austria (+50 Alliance, +25 Catholic, +10 Guarantee, +10 MA given, +20 same Rival, +25 in-same-war) and you should not need to fully hit +100 improved relations to offset the border tension penalty.

So to restore the Byzantium Empire, you will have to both Culture shift & Religion shift ... both which will remove you from the HRE, if you pursue it early. Otherwise, you'll have to control & core a chain of territory from Istria thru Crotia, Bosnia, Serbia, and the integrated former Byzantium vassals to Constantinople.

You will also need to own the Asia Minor coast (Izmit, Izmir, and Hudavendigar).

1) So the question becomes if the Adm Power savings of the 'free cores' on the remainder of Anatolia is worth the stability hits incurred by the Culture & Religion shifts.

The answer is most likely not (and stability gain *will* be pricey due to reduced Republican Tradition from integrating multiple vassals, and that half of 'nation' will be Catholic and 'half' is Orthodox)

2) Therefore, the question is whether it would be advantageous for Venice to switch out ideas for Byzantium ones

This is also a NO, nevermind that the Byzantium missions will only give claims on Sicily & Naples, which is possible for Venice to obtain via force/diplo-vassalizing as well. Arguably, the Formed Italy national ideas would be better than both Venetian (you are shifting to a land power with the Balkans + Anatolia + Levant) and Byzantine.