• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mernix

Recruit
Nov 14, 2021
I'm Emperor of Prydain and the King of Egypt is my vassal (not of my dynasty) but he doesn't hold any land within Egypt which was controlled by a Muslim ruler. Pope called for crusade for Egypt and his choice of beneficiary was this vassal of mine and so I was pleased. The stance I chose was to let the Pope's choice to get the title.

I contributed the most and once we won, the Pope granted Kingdom of Crusader Egypt to the King of Egypt but I was shocked that this resulted in him becoming independent. Why? I thought that since he was my vassal and he was given a kingdom title i.e. same rank as his and lower than mine, he should had stayed as my vassal.

Last edited:
Why? I thought that since he was my vassal and he was given a kingdom title i.e. same rank as his and lower than mine, he should had stayed as my vassal.

Vassals who inherit an independent (of same rank or higher) or vassalised higher title
or are granted a title by crusade do not remain your vassals.

The case you expected to happen is only true when a higher title gets conquered.

edit: The point Andrew0Red made above might be the case as well, but i don't remember it
for scenarios outside conquering.

Disclaimer:
As far as i remember it to be true while having struggled with that scenario myself occasionaly.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hmm, don't vassals have to be of your dynasty to remain after Crusade?
I don't know because this is the first time ever for me where the Pope's choice is my vassal. Normally either he doesn't choose any or his choice is a non-vassal. Also, clearly nominating beneficiary from my dynasty results them in being independent since I cannot nominate dynastic member who's a ruler.

Reactions:
Ok, thanks. I didn't know being granted title by crusade would automatically make him independent, regardless of rank.

I'm not 100% sure about that anymore, as i haven't played CK2 for probably six months or more, but about 98%.
Crusader states (duchy tier), not to be confused with crusader kingdoms, can be vassalised on creation.

Reactions:
Also playing Prydain, I landed my Twin Sister as Crusader Queen of Kanem (Don't know what happened to the original beneficiary, a Catholic Prince of Kanem. My stance was to let the Pope decide).

First two things she did upon ascending the throne was 1) Refuse my offer of alliance out of "political concerns" and 2) Join a defensive pact against me.
Seriously Bitch??? :mad:

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Also playing Prydain, I landed my Twin Sister as Crusader Queen of Kanem (Don't know what happened to the original beneficiary, a Catholic Prince of Kanem. My stance was to let the Pope decide).

First two things she did upon ascending the throne was 1) Refuse my offer of alliance out of "political concerns" and 2) Join a defensive pact against me.
Seriously Bitch??? :mad:
Haha same here with my older sister.