Lady of the North Star
- Nov 14, 2008
Table of Contents:
- Prologue (No Ruler, January 1088)
- The Wolf Chronicle (Harald Audensen, January 1088 - ???)
- Winner of Favorite CK1/2 Narrative AAR: Q1 2012
- Inspired WritAAR of the Week AwAARd: March 25th, 2012
- Inspired Character WritAAR of the Week AwAARd: June 5th, 2012, August 5th 2012
The North Star is a story that was started by myself years ago for CK1. My update schedule and lack of motivation led to the original stopping and starting far too frequently for my taste. For those curious, this AAR will follow the life and tales of the Hvide Clan, one of the most powerful of medieval Denmark. Based in Sjælland, they were historically an important force in Danish politics. This AAR, however, will not start in 1066, but will instead pick off where the story of Piety of the North Star, my previous AAR, left off. Allow me to state clearly that you do not have to read Piety to understand what is going on. Part of the reason I changed to CK2 was to get a fresh start and hopefully pick up a newer audience. Although I will be using the characters and may reference the old AAR occasionally, I will make sure you are kept in the loop about what is going on. I want this to be something that anyone can read.
At some point after the Prologue is complete, I have a small series of updates planned to give a brief primer on world history and the map of Europe in 1088 (our startdate). Much has changed in the past two decades and even established readers will probably want to know what's going on! This, however, will take a little bit of time, due to the modwork involved...you'll understand in a bit.
- Valour of the North Star is a CK2 Narrative AAR with a few History-Book interludes. This will be heavily character-focused and may include long stretches of text. I apologize in advance to those who do not enjoy such AARs, and will try my best to keep my verbosity from running away with me.
- I will be playing on Normal Difficulty, I will not permit 'cheating' in the traditional sense but am prepared to edit the save and mod things to help develop a realistic story. I'll also try to keep that to a minimum and I don't plan on making any secret of it! If you want pure gameplay, this isn't the AAR for you.
- This AAR will be made with an in-progress CK2 overhaul mod, which doesn't yet have a name. It's being made by myself and the fantastic RGB (with only some difficulties due to distance/schedules), and we're hoping to have a fully working version of it sometime this lifetime! Work responsibilities etc. have slowed progress but I've at least gotten enough done to take some screenshots and get started with this thing.
- If my main character gets Game Over for any reason, I reserve the right to jump over to another Hvide holding, assuming any of my family still own land (if it gets bad enough that they don't, I'll figure something else out!)
- I will be using high-quality .png images, probably an average of 1-2Mb worth every update. I apologize for the size of these images, but it is the only way I've found to display transparency without completely losing the quality of the image OR soaring the file size up to ludicrous levels. Hopefully with the length of the updates and the frequency of comments, I can avoid more than one update a page to minimize loading times. Sorry for anyone with slow internet, I just like my art!
I think that about sums it up. If you took the time to read this and read on, I hope you enjoy!