• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(21790)

Gruppenführer
Nov 12, 2003
Visit site
Hello..
I have a question..

Is Victoria using the same type of multiplayer system that EUII? That is, the one where you cant play over the net if you, like me, have a university broadband with firewall?

Yes, the same system is being used, so unfortunately you need a clear connection to the internet for the game to work.

On an unrelated note, university firewalls suck... we can't even use MSN Messenger over our university network any more!

My ICQ gets screwed up from time to time also...
Wish Paradox could use a multiplayer system that allows firewalls... but I guess it all comes down to money and resources :(

If you have a friend with a good connection outside the network, you could get him to set up a proxy for you and set it to open the ports Victoria uses... I used such an arrangement last year to get around my university's overly restrictive firewall and proxy cache system. Not sure how it would affect the speed of the game, but it will certaintly be better than no Victoria MP.

Of course, do this only if your university network usage policy allows. :rolleyes: ;)

well, I always had problems with my firewall and thought it was the game... on the contrary, it was my firewall (ZoneAlarm) that caused the probs and after switiching to Agnitum Outpost I no longer have any problems whatsoever. (the tip came from Steel)

Originally posted by Patric
the problem is that we use DirectPlay in DirectX and it needs certain ports to be open so if you have a very restrivted firewall policy blocking those ports and no NAT then it won't work...

Patric

Do you have any plans in the future to add a MP system of your own that would allow connections through, for example, university firewalls?

Those of us that have U-firewalls have no control over wich ports are closed and wich are open, so there is not much for us to do :(

No Imediate plans that I know of.

Originally posted by Ravenstar
Do you have any plans in the future to add a MP system of your own that would allow connections through, for example, university firewalls?

Those of us that have U-firewalls have no control over wich ports are closed and wich are open, so there is not much for us to do :(

Such a system would be designated as a Trojan virus by campus security, thus it would not be allowed. Official campus/work programs that use firewall proof systems often have special restrictions and have to be 'aproved' by campus IT security for example.

It is also almost impossible for a big LAN using NAT (or similar stuff) to allow this for more than 5-10 applications as it would quickly hog up too many ports in the fw/fws.

If you want to check how a somewhat firewallproof software works, check out the Skype IP-dialing software (light Voice-Over-IP) at www.skype.com. They claim it's 100% fw proof but I doubt it..

Best bet is to get a campus Proxy or get an outside friend to set one up..

/F