• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
For this final entry in the development diary, I will talk about Monarchies; the most noble form of government! :)

The first thing players will notice is the special government window for monarchies. Instead of a senate or a bunch of hairy clan chiefs, there is a Council. The council consists of the five technology magistrates (who incidentally play a bigger part in Vae Victis for all types of regimes) and four other gentlemen; your ministers. The ministers are important since their skills affect your country in many ways; if managed right, their bonuses will equal or surpass that of the ruling party in a republic. However, it can be dangerous to appoint your most skilled characters to the council, since some may favor themselves, or a relative, or even friend, rather than the legal heir. Thus, when the king dies, or possibly before - if a majority of the council is unhappy with the legal heir - they may decide to back a pretender and spark a civil war.

Monarchies have a different set of laws, many of which concern the succession. They also have their own collection of minor titles, missions, and events; all to make playing a monarchy feel different from a tribe or a republic...

Attachments

• dd6_01.jpg
    dd6_01.jpg
    501,9 KB · Views: 1.338
  • dd6_02.jpg
    dd6_02.jpg
    421,7 KB · Views: 1.102
  • dd6_03.jpg
    dd6_03.jpg
    371,7 KB · Views: 1.037
  • dd6_04.jpg
    dd6_04.jpg
    353,3 KB · Views: 1.068
I feared that monarchies will be less interesting then republics (like tribes), but this development showed me that monarhical politics can be even more dangerous and riskier then republican.

Also, it is cool to see that characters are always oresent at certain location. So if a pretender rebel conquers the province where the succesor is located, will he killed him... or be able to use him?

TheLand said:
Presumably to have a Chief Eunuch you have to have a lot of Eunuch characters to appoint a Chief one?

One of the features that PI decided to implent at the last moment was giving the player an option to turn a disloyal character into an eunuch :D

vanin said:
A great set of diaries, Doomdark. I really should go and pre-book this game now...
What? You mean you haven't done it yet? I already had preordered mine on the second DevDiary!

About today's diary: Looking great! (as usual ;))

EDIT: Just saw the pictures and thought about something: Is there some kind of regency and if so, can it spark a civil war too between the regent and the heir?

Last edited:
The Card Holder needs continued annoying, they seem to be avoiding me. But seeing how it's my birthday on Thursday it's only a matter of time :D.

Still thanks for staying a work long enough to get this up, I hope changing gov is easy cause now I want to experience it all in one play through :).

Chief torturer, mmm sounds like a nice job :)

Nice little update, it is good to see that characters in the game have all given more importance.