• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

eugene171

Captain
61 Badges
Sep 9, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Uzbeks Unleashed
A Quest for the Letter "U"

Since I was a wee boy, my father always told me of Uzbeks: Don't give them money, don't give them matches, and do not encourage them to drink or gamble.

In the EU4 world and community, a similar attitude has come to pass. I aim to change that. The inspiration for how to do that came from two sources: User Unthariel's comment of a previous AAR that it "was was as historic as a mongol pope", and the superb alliteration of of the potential title "Uzbeks Unleashed".

Newest Update, 24 out of 24

The mode: Normal, Ironman, started in 1.3.1

The goal: Conquer every province in the world beginning with the letter U. As the Uzbeks.

The provinces with original owners:

Asia
Uzkend (Chagatai)
Ustyurt (Nogai)
Urumqi (Chagatai)
Urgench (Timurids)
Upper Sind (Sind)
Upper Doab (Delhi)
Ulanqab (Mongol Kahnate)
Uighuristan (Chagatai)
Udskoye (none)
Udong (Khmer)
Ude (none)
U-Tsang (Tibet)

Europe
Utrecht (Utrecht)
Ustyug (Muscovy)
Ust-Sysolsk (Perm)
Ulster (Tyrone)
Ulm (Ulm)
Udmurtia (Kazan)

Africa
Urungwe (Matapa)
Ujiji (none)

South America
Uruguay (none)

North America
Ungava (none)
Unami (none)
Unamakik (none)

The Plan

1. All Admin points to rushing Admin 10/Innovative/ All Military points to keeping up with tech/ All Diplo points to Exploration then Expansion

2. Vassalize all neighbors possible with the sweet, sweet Tribal Conquest CB

3. Take Russian land ASAP, convert to Orthodoxy

4. Colonize like mad

5. Convert to Catholicism/Reform the Government and Westernize, whichever comes first

6. Become Holy Roman Emperor.

7. ???

8. Wrap up the remaining provinces

Last edited:
Oh God,what to expect.

This could potentially create some fantastic borders... consider me interested

Part 1: Three Down, Lots to Go

U's Obtained:
Ustyurt
Uzkend
Uighuristan

(3/24)

We begin our tale of the Uzbeks with an overview of their lands. Unfortunately, the term "their land" is misleading.

That's right, 92% starting overextension. On top of being long enough out of war that the Hordes are getting restless. It took a few tries, but the Golden Horde offered an alliance and immediately started a war with Kazan

This provided no tangible spoils, but it did provide Timurid armies walking thru my turf whacking rebels while things cored. Immediately after that war, I turned attention to the U-right horde to the east: Chagatai

During this war, the Oriate Horde jumped in against Chagatai and took Urumqi. They then allied with the Ming, locking that province in "unattainable" status for now.

After a while, all the coring was done

We declared war on Nogai, and the Golden Horde jumped in to help. They peaced out early with some land, but we got Ustyurt, so all is well. Now Nogai is small enough to vassalize.

Coring on Ustyurt began (it was cheap and Nogai is allied with the Timurids now), and annexation of Chagatai did as well.

Another war opportunity against Nogai came, but they chain-alliance brought the Ottomans in, so vassalization wasn't possible (I got to 38% war score before things started to go south). I peaced out of the war with a boatload of ducats and some fresh prestige.

Colonization began with Exploration, affording me a border with Muscovy. They ended up in a war against the Livonian Order and Novgorod, so I took that opportunity to swipe for mountain provinces across rivers in former Perm, and run up a warscore until they gave me what I wanted.

Those lands were later released as Perm, who will be given a few more provinces to core in the future.

A lack of heir and a 44-year-old kahn in the Golden Horde made me think that claiming their throne was a good idea, then this happened:

So, I'm now in imminent threat of war with the Timurids. Such is the life of the Uzbeks

Reality Check: I don't think I'll be able to religion-swap. Which means no HRE. Which means Ulm is gonna SUCK. The problem is that expanding into Orthodox land is really hard, whereas the Sunni and eastern land is at least doable.

Thoughts?

Well, if you save it til later, but before HRE has formed, you could always take it, release as vassal and then diplo-annex it. Could be a very tough war or could be pretty simple depending on your power and what's going on in the HRE. Same with Utrecht.

Whatever you do is fine with me. Your AARs are always such fun. Funny story about Ustyurt: somebody was watching me play eu3 and saw that and immediately shouted, "urtyurt!"

Last edited:
I know little of the hordes, but U seem off to a good start with a triple-U. In the Uzbek mission of global U-nification, will U be renaming all ancillary provinces so that their names begin with U in token of their submission to U?

Starting with 92% overextensions....thats some serious problems, good luck :)
Yes this is bad. I would advice to release at least Sibir as a vassal from the start, as this will reduce the revolts a good deal and your ennemies are likely to kill themselves in the frozen wastes up north.
I am playing a Qara Qoyonlu -> Persia/Uzbek -> Mughals co-op game at the moment and the uzbek player used the first 50 years to basically migrate his lands to the richer lands of India. First letting sibir go as a vassal, conquer Uzbek-cultured lands from the Timurids and Chagatai, move the capital to Samarkand and take position in Afghanistan, release the Khazaks as vassals (this will give Khorasani as an accepted culture) and now working his way to the riches of Dehli.

Eugene, going Mughals will change your tech group to muslim (and give you better ideas than the standard Hordes ones imho) which is much better than Nomad, so this could be a first step to a westernisation that will allow you to conquer the European provinces you need at the end of the game.

God. This is just awesoem. Eugene, you just solidified the position as my personal EU4 hero. I mean, you're THE Man. Going Mughal like suggested sounds like a good idea for the easier gameplay, but... but, then you won't be U anymore, which will make the AAR itself a little less epic.

That said, the idea and the attempt are epic enough. I wouldn't be disappointed in the end just because you couldn't capture Ulm or Utrecht thanks to the HRE.

But..hmm. Now you got Chagatai, perhaps it's time to get into Tibet for U-Tsang and press into Southeast Asia for Udong, and in the mean time get prepared to reform the government? I don't know.

I wouldn't be disappointed if you leave "Upper Sindh" and "Upper Doab." They aren't real Us. They're Us only because of the localization. :)

Your ideas get crazier with every AAR. Good! It's real fun to watch, how you attain the goal you set for you (although more fun to watch then to do it by times I imagine).

This has made me realize how little I know of Asian/Horde mechanics in game.

Subbed - looking forward to learning more.
+1