• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter One Hundred-Thirty-Eight : Almost Ready For War - 1.2.1940 To 28.2.1940
Utsunimiya’s War
(HoI3 TFH - Interactive Japan AAR)
Chapter One Hundred-Thirty-Eight : Almost Ready For War - 1.2.1940 To 28.2.1940

wSf2LZq4_o.jpg

The Economic Front​

The month of February started out well for the people of Japan. The Stockpile of Fuel was still growing, which meant cheat gas for their cars, trucks, and tractors, and more than enough consumer goods were being produced to keep every subject of the Empire happy.

In other words Tokyo seemed normal to outsiders. Kids went to school, men went to work, and women went shopping.

But not all was what it seemed. While Fuel was being produced faster than it could be used the Treasury was in the ‘Red’. Not too dangerous but still an annoyance.

Deals were made with the US and Belgium.

The US later did cancel one of its Agreements and offers from France were, once again, turned down for political reasons. (See Misc. Events)

On the 4th of February the Ministry of Armaments announced an advance in Cavalry Support Weapons. The weapons were easily to carry yet more powerful.

r6k2oNaL_o.jpg

The Research Team, after a short party, were assigned their next project. Finding ways to improve on Supply Transportation. Their job was to find faster and cheaper ways to get equipment and supplies from Point A to Point B. This was becoming a issues with the Army. (See Military Front)

On the 18th newly built Factory Complexes were opened in the Provinces of Qingdao, Tianjin, and Beiping in China. And in the Provinces of Nagasaki and Nagoya on the home islands.

By the end of the month the economy was in full swing and still at peace. But not for long.

kUd5qgY3_o.jpg

The Military Front​

The Province of Haikou was finally getting supplies, and fuel, as somebody within the government realized the Fighters, and maybe the Submarines, might need such items. So some convoys were set up.

But this wasn’t helping all the units in China. A few Army units, deep inland, were still having issues with a lack of supplies. Hopeful the problem was solved before the war started.(1)

t3Qw6NkX_o.jpg

The first unit of the Anti-Partisan Operations arrived at Danzhou on the morning of the 8th. Amazingly the cavalry brigades were fully stocked with supplies on arrival.

This turned out to be less than amazing when the 3. Zerosen no Hikoden reported that their supply warehouses in Haikou was mostly empty after the cavalry passed through the province.

It didn’t take long to refill their warehouses but this still annoyed the IJAA no end and they sent a formal complaint to the Chief of Staff.

On the 13th of February the second Marine division, Maizaru Rikusentai, was deployed to the Province of Sasebo. Major General Otani, a man trained to be a Commando, was put in charge.

Up to the north only a few units were still in motion. The divisions of the China Operation HQ would be ready for combat by March.

By the 20th the 3. China Kihei Shidan was approaching the center of the rebellion. And it too ‘borrowed’ from the warehouses of the IJAA. Which meant another complaint was filed against the Imperial Japanese Army.

On the 24th the 3. Zerosen no Hikodan was ready for combat again. It was ordered to launch Ground Attacks on the rebels in Dongfang.

Tens attacks were carried out by the end of the month and 74 rebels were killed. Even when the Fighter Wings were having their warehouses raided by passing Japanese cavalry brigades.

U5BpMNG7_o.jpg

By the 25th the Imperial Japanese Army looked ready for the invasion of Xibai San Ma.

On the 28th the 4. China Kihei Shidan arrived at the Province of Danzhou. And on the way it too borrowed from the warehouses of the Fighter Wings. And another complaint was sent in by the IJAA.

But soon the IJA and the IJAA would be dealing with a much bigger issue.

jQ2qiPob_o.jpg

Misc. Events​

Due to the slow period in the news cycle the media grabbed a lot of news stories from outside Japan.

For example, at the start of the month, the British started the “Careless Talk Costs Lives” propaganda campaign in the UK. Aimed at stopping all the war gossip it was mostly posters placed all over the subways and buildings of their major cities.

On the 7th of February Walt Disney released the animated film Pinocchio at the Center Theater in New York City. When it was released in Japan weeks later there was a huge debate about the underlying meaning. Was it about freedom of choice? Some kind of religious message? Was Pinocchio a demon?

ReeKuo1K_o.jpg

It was noticed that the Germans had finally made it all the way to the outskirts of Paris by the 14th.

Germany, on the 17th, asked Japan to join the ‘Axis’. And it was turned down.

The new 5 year old Dalai Lama was enthroned in Tibet on the 22nd of February.

The first hockey game televised in North America was on the 25th. It was a game between the New York Rangers and the Montreal Canadiens. Many praised the new device believing it would help to educate and enlighten the common masses.

3odlanNJ_o.jpg

Belgium, announced on the 26th, that it was mobilizing its armed forces. Why? Who would it be used against? Wasn’t it kind of late at this point?

That same day Germany, once again, asked Japan to join the ‘Axis’. And, once again, was turned down. Japan had other worries.

On the 27th of February Japanese diplomats inside the US pointed out that the UK was now, openly, trying to influence the politics of the nation along side the Germans. The Soviets had dropped out.

It also reported that, while the populace saw Japan as the greatest threat, the government had the highest level of relationship with France, Portugal, Greece, Philippines, AND Japan.

By the end of February the Head of Intelligence reported that Xibei San Ma had captured eight Japanese agents, Brazil had captured four Japanese agents, Canada had captured three Japanese agents, the US captured two Japanese agents, the Netherlands had captured one Japanese agent, and Portugal had captured four Japanese agents.

Japanese Security announced that, during the same time period, they had arrested a spy from Tannu Tuva, a spy from Yemen, and a spy from Nepal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Author’s Notes:

1. The upcoming war with Xibai San Ma. Not to be confused with the ongoing war with Portugal.

2. Behind The Scenes : US Relationships -

IeobAOGd_o.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions:
But soon the IJA and the IJAA would be dealing with a much bigger issue.

jQ2qiPob_o.jpg

Misc. Events​
Indeed, they had constructed a giant wooden man to step on Japan.
Was Pinocchio a demon?
This remains unconfirmed to this day. A demonstration whale did try to eat him at one point, and a fairy witch performed necromancy on him twice. So...maybe?
Belgium, announced on the 26th, that it was mobilizing its armed forces. Why? Who would it be used against? Wasn’t it kind of late at this point?
Wait...this whole time, the germans were smashing straight through the magiont line???

And they're still winning? What happened to the French army?

Also, yes. Interesting that Belgium is marshaling now. Maybe they're about to invade the Netherlands?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Wait...this whole time, the germans were smashing straight through the magiont line???

And they're still winning? What happened to the French army?
Well, remember the French invaded Germany and, therefore, kind of left their positions in the Maginot Line. And when the Germany counter-attacked they just pushed through because nobody was dug in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, remember the French invaded Germany and, therefore, kind of left their positions in the Maginot Line. And when the Germany counter-attacked they just pushed through because nobody was dug in.
This is even more astonishing really. The French had ideal war situations with German invading them on a limited front on the magiont line. And they decided to Sally forth instead.

Madness!

• 1Like
Reactions:
The first hockey game televised in North America was on the 25th. It was a game between the New York Rangers and the Montreal Canadiens. Many praised the new device believing it would help to educate and enlighten the common masses.
Fast food and circus to keep the masses pacified ...

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is even more astonishing really. The French had ideal war situations with German invading them on a limited front on the magiont line. And they decided to Sally forth instead.

Madness!
Thus is the way of Paradox AIs

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Research Team, after a short party, were assigned their next project. Finding ways to improve on Supply Transportation. Their job was to find faster and cheaper ways to get equipment and supplies from Point A to Point B. This was becoming an issue with the Army. (See Military Front)

It's all well and good to come up with more efficient ways to move supplies about. The Air Force and possibly the Navy can benefit from this, but the Army will be unable to comprehend it hence these new methods will be wasted on the Army.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, loaded into Hearts of Iron 3, Japan, and found this -

agDO6bNs_o.jpg

Like the American AAR this game save files are all...like that. Nothing existences. I blame myself. I added Kaku Surapi, RobaS3, and Matabai Burufiruta to the Japanese officer pool.

So I saved everything I could and tried to download the game from Amazon, where I got it, but it failed to install. So I bought the game, and DLCs, from Steam. Then put everything back in. Now when it has issues it will be easier to fix. But the saves were still empty. This AAR is dead.

I would like to thank all the Advisers and followers of this Japanese AAR. I better go officially close it in the library - if I remember how to do that. But don't worry...I already have a new idea to try next. Just for the fun of it.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Er...

The Japanese lost. Literally.

The End!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Oh no... Just when it looked like we would be getting some Battleships, and an in-game RobaS3.

Anyway. Looking forward to your next HOI3 projet, whether it's interactive or not, whether the save files make it to the end or not.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well this is quite the disaster. The incompetence of the IJA has claimed it's final victim - Japan itself.

It is a shame we will not be following this to the end, but good luck on your new project and please post a link to it here when you start it so we can all find it.

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I had regularly saved the game when it crashed and I went back and loaded the last save, finding that I was missing the entire Para corps, so I had to go back over all the autosaves (weekly) and then my manual monthly saves 3 months back before finding them, so saves can be partially corrupted. You can try to look at the save game size find where it doesn't grow anymore and load that in a text editor, like wordpad++ not word, and check what is wrong.

Reactions:
Shoot, what a fun AAR to be involved with! I'm sure the next project will be just as good!

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
This sucks - HOI3 can be surprisingly unstable and hard to fix, I’ve found. :( My two HOI3 AARs are now played on my old laptop (where thankfully it and they still work) and my mod project is on hold as the game no longer works properly on the PC. Even reloading the game from scratch, starting new games and doing everything imaginable (or I can imagine, anyway) and trying to work it through with a Paradox support person (who did try to help quite persistently).

I will check out the new AAR later today.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh no... Just when it looked like we would be getting some Battleships, and an in-game RobaS3.
Funny enough your character was put back in the game with all the other changes I made. Including a American aircraft carrier named after you. I put that in the code also.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sad to see it end.

• 1Like
Reactions: