• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter Four : A New Destroyer Flotilla - 15.2.1936 To 20.2.1936
Utsunimiya's War
(HoI3 TFH - Interactive Japan AAR)

q0cbjxF.jpg

With the announcement of the Mixed Industry Laws many within the military, including General Shō-ichi Utsunimiya, became very happy. Mostly because of just how useful the new Laws would be. The policies now would allow more factories to be retooled to produce rifles, munitions, and equipment. This almost meant basic military supplies would also be increased and, therefore, more of the fuel and supplies the Divisions needed would get to them.

The problems of logistics and supplies was not a modern problem. It went back as far as Alexander the Greet whose supply trains made up of mules had to carry enough food for the horse cavalry and men they were supplying AND enough for themselves. In the modern Army, with trucks and mules working together, the transporters had to not just supply the troops but also themselves. Trucks would burn some of the fuel they were carrying. Just as mules would eat some of the grain they were transporting. And of course the drivers and mule handlers had to be fed.

dq0KixN.jpg

This meant the farther an Army went into hostile territory, the longer the supply line became, the more supplies had to be transported just to fed the very people (and animals) transporting the supplies. This is why the Army capturing the ports as they moved south would be so important. It was required to make sure they received the fuel, munitions, and food they needed to do the job.

Around the same time the Laws were going into effect the last of the destroyers for 24 Kuchikukantai were coming out of the dry docks in Tokyo.

LJGSyDu.jpg

Made up of ten Fubuki-Class Destroyers they were assigned to the 1st Task Force. They joined the screening force which, up to that point, had been nothing but Light Cruisers. The Fubuki-Class would be, by historians, described as the first modern destroyers. They would set the standard NOT just for all future Japanese destroyers but all future destroyers of the world’s Navies. (1)

---

G33d8kP.jpg

General Shō-ichi Utsunimiya’s own office was almost just as big as the Field Marshal’s and just as cluttered with Naval articles. Paintings of storms at sea, models of lighthouses, and bookshelves full of books on maritime history filled the room. But it didn’t bother him that much. Yes, he was an Army officer. But he just never felt that anti-Navy hostilely that many within the Army seemed to feel.

His desk had been just as big as the Field Marshal’s and, usually, there were only two chairs in front of it with a small table between. But today he had added two more chairs. For, sitting before him today were the four men under his command. Each one of them in their dress uniforms, hats in their laps, looking serious and calm.

Going from his left to his right General Shō-ichi Utsunimiya examined each man carefully.

The commander to his far left was Major General Tada of the 2. Hohei Shidan. He was known, like Utsunimiya, for being somewhat skilled at logistics. He had three Infantry Regiments in his Division. (2)

The next commander was of the 5. Hohei Shidan. The Major General Ushijima was also known for his knowledge of logistics. He was also part of the “Old Guard” which was likely why he had been favored with four Infantry Regiments under his command.

The next commander was Major General Nishihara. The man had more skill than the other commanders and was in charge of the Konoe Shidan. He was known as a trickster and was said to be very learned when it came to offensive tactics. His Division was made up of three Imperial Guard Regiments and a Guard Artillery Regiment. Utsunimiya reminded himself to use the Imperial Guards when he needed soldiers who were hard hitting and tough. (3)

The last commander was Major General Toyoshima. He, like Major General Nishihara, had slightly more skill than the other two commanders but no specialization. The 4. Hohei Shidan only had three Infantry Regiments in it. Yet his skill might allow them to fight a tad harder, a tad longer, then other units.

Shō-ichi Utsunimiya had already gone through the formal greetings and the introductions between the four men. He now cleared throat and pulled out a small map of the objective where Operation “Underbelly”, the new name for Naval Plan Two, would be carried out.

YNM3NHe.jpg

On seeing a map of Shanghai all Major Generals sat straight up in their chairs and looked very interested.

“We, as you know, have been formed into the Special Corps,” stated Utsunimiya with the calmest voice he could muster. “And our first mission will be during the second war with China. We are to land in Shanghai and move to cut off the four Provinces here. Including the Province of Hangzhou which also has a port.”

The four men nodded their heads but said nothing. They understood the importance of such a port and didn’t really need the following information. But they received it anyway.

“The airbases would allow our Tactical Bombers,” Utsunimiya continued, “to bomb the Capital of the Republic. We assume that the Nationalist aircraft will be up north. The operation, of course, will be timed to start TWO weeks after the war starts. We hope that the Chinese Navy will be gone or crippled by then. Any questions?”

The first two commanders shook their heads but Major General Toyoshima nodded and, once Utsunimiya nodded back, asked, “Will there be any reserves in case it is decided four divisions are not enough?”

“None have been selected yet,” answered Utsunimiya. “It is felt that the Special Corps is enough to handle anything the Chinese leave behind. Shanghai IS an important port. But we hope within two weeks that the Chinese would have been forced to send most of their units to the north to either replace lost divisions or reinforce weakened ones.”

Major General Nishihara nodded and added with confidence, “Once we have a foothold we should be able to sweep them out of the provinces easily.”

Utsunimiya nodded in agreement. He wasn’t surprised Nishihara felt that way. It was likely the Major General would feel confident invading Christian Hell if asked to do so. They don’t pick timid commanders to take charge of Imperial Guard units.

“We should review equipment requirements, training, and get into the finer details so we are ready,” remarked Utsunimiya. “It might seem like a way off. But we all know there isn’t ever enough time for an operation like this.”

The four other officers nodded. And soon they were discussing rations, how much ammo a soldier should carry, and even going over the streets of Shanghai on the map. There was a LOT to do and not much time to do it in.

---

jKpVMjR.jpg

As the plan for “Underbelly” was slowly worked over by General Shō-ichi Utsunimiya and his officers the military were training the new recruits to climb ropes and ride horses. It was predicted that the first two Cavalry Divisions and the first two Mountain Divisions would be available sometimes in May of that year.

There was also some debate about what to do with the southern half of the Sakhalin Island and the settlement of Toyohara. That part of the island had been given to the Japanese in the Treaty of Portsmouth and, at the moment, it was completely open to invasion if the Russians decided to do so. The center of the debate was whose job was it to take responsibility for that territory.

vLKrcbx.png

As it had been part of Russia‘s territory, and therefore not part of the home islands, the Imperial General Headquarters said it was the Kwantung Army‘s problem.

The Kwantung Army, of course, said that Toyohara was on an island and, therefore, an issue for the Imperial Japanese Navy and the IGH to deal with.

And so the infighting between the Army and Navy continued.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Author's Notes:

1. Fubuki - Blizzard or Snowstorm. “Fuku” mean blow and “Yuki” mean snows.

2. Hohei Shidan - Infantry Division

3. Konoe Shidan - Imperial Guard Division

Last edited:
Great update! Can't wait to see the operations to drive the Chinese from the coast begin. I must echo that we're definitely going to need some battleships to face down the American fleet should they come our way, however...

I might echo something from previous responses: especially for "short" notes as the ones here are, listing them in italics and a different color would be beneficial to the legibility of a post, especially if it is continued to be used going forward. For example:

"The commander to his far left was Major General Tada of the 2. Hoheishidan Division. He was known, like Utsunimiya, for being somewhat skilled at logistics. He had three Infantry Regiments in his Division. (2)"

versus

"The commander to his far left was Major General Tada of the 2. Hoheishidan [Infantry] Division. He was known, like Utsunimiya, for being somewhat skilled at logistics. He had three Infantry Regiments in his Division."

Not to mention that this, as ever, exposes a weakness in Paradox programming/research: Hohei = Infantry and Shidan = Division. No need to be redundant!

Well, it's not Butterfly Effect levels of trivial detail, but the inspiration is readily apparent.

The problems of logistics and supplies was not a modern problem. It went back as far as Alexandria the Greet whose supply trains made up of mules had to carry enough food for the horse cavalry and men they were supplying AND enough for themselves. In the modern Army, with trucks and mules working together, the transporters had to not just supply the troops but also themselves. Trucks would burn some of the fuel they were carrying. Just as mules would eat some of the grain they were transporting. And of course the drivers and mule handlers had to be fed.
Top-secret experiments using a network of large catapults in the mid-1200s were moderately successful, but ultimately abandoned after a wayward barrel of munitions landed on a general's tent, crushing the occupants within. Since then, the attritive cost of transporting supplies has been reluctantly conceded.

Yes, I made this up, although I'm not willing to say it didn't happen...

Yes, he was an Army officer. But he just never felt that anti-Navy hostilely that many within the Army seemed to feel.
Are we sure this man is really an Imperial Japanese Army officer? Any true IJA career man knows that hating the Chinese is second only to hating the Navy, after all.

For, sitting before him today were the four men under his command. Each one of them in their dress uniforms, hats in their laps, looking serious and calm.
And now this man, a mere colonel not even a month ago, is not only promoted to general but placed in command over four presumably senior generals. Now I'm convinced our protagonist is a plant, as no one undertakes such a meteoric career rise without some quite substantial backing from shadow actors and powers-that-be. Perhaps he is really an IJN spy sent to infiltrate and misdirect the Army.

Any questions?”

The first two commanders shook their heads but Major General Toyoshima nodded and, once Utsunimiya nodded back, asked, “Will there be any reserves in case it is decided four divisions are not enough?”
I am shocked - shocked, I tell you - to find an IJA general who is actually familiar with this strange concept called "reserves". I would not have thought such a thing possible!

As it had been part of Russia‘s territory, and therefore not part of the home islands, the Imperial General Headquarters said it was the Kwantung Army‘s problem.

The Kwantung Army, of course, said that Toyohara was on an island and, therefore, an issue for the Imperial Japanese Navy and the IGH to deal with.

Ah, now this is more like it!

2. Hoheishidan - Infantry

3. Konoe Shidan - Imperial Guard
I feel obligated to add some clarification here - the word "shidan" here means "division". So e.g. hoheishidan = infantry division, Konoe shidan = (Imperial) guard division. One also has "rentai" for regiment, and I believe "ryodan" for brigade if I remember correctly, so e.g. hoheirentai = infantry regiment, or konsei ryodan = mixed brigade. Important to know if you're a nerd like me and insist on giving every regiment you build a linguistically-correct name. :p

I think also "daitai" is the word for a battalion, so if you can have any formations of that size in a vanilla division there's another one for you.

Thank you for the information on the division names. I found my information on the HoI3 Wiki but I should have known better than to trust only one source off the internet and should have used my own sources or at least double checked. As for inserting a footnote into the sentence that is not going to happen. To me, when I am reading something, inserts like that act like speed dumps and take me right out of what I am reading. Like a voice-over in the wrong place in a good movie. Completely takes me off the rails. Also, all my past English and History teachers would be shocked by such actions. But thank you for the suggestions.

Well, it's not Butterfly Effect levels of trivial detail, but the inspiration is readily apparent.
My lawyers have been informed and remain on standby. If there is a long detour into the development of Airships to carry Sumo wrestlers to the 1937 Emperor's Cup then they shall leap into action.
DYAEiOu.gif

The Type 96 machine gun! Sadly lacking the part that makes it a deadly weapon, no not the magazine I am of course talking about it's bayonet. It jammed far too often for the magazine to mater.

Made up of ten Fubuki-Class Destroyers they were assigned to the 1st Task Force. They joined the screening force which, up to that point, had been nothing but Light Cruisers. The Fubuki-Class would be, by historians, described as the first modern destroyers. They would set the standard NOT just for all future Japanese destroyers but all future destroyers of the world’s Navies.
I do hope so. If everyone else's destroyers are top heavy, over-weight, badly welded, suffer catastrophic hull cracking in bad weather and have serious boiler and propulsion issues we just might stand a chance.

1. Fubuki - Blizzard or Snowstorm. “Fuku” mean blow and “Yuki” mean snows.
The name also translates as 'Snow' will 'blow' the bow of the ship off due to inherent structural defects. But obviously this translation is less popular.

A sound briefing.

The problems of logistics and supplies was not a modern problem. It went back as far as Alexandria the Greet

Funny, I would have sworn Alexandria was a city...

I take it Sakhalin has been designated the place for IJA/IJN infighting to preserve harmony in China.

Funny, I would have sworn Alexandria was a city...

HAHA. Sorry, that has been corrected. I live in the city of Alexandria so when I went to type Alexander I typed Alexandria and never noticed the mistake.

HAHA. Sorry, that has been corrected. I live in the city of Alexandria so when I went to type Alexander I typed Alexandria and never noticed the mistake.

Which one? Virginia? If so, we'll have to hang out when I'm up there!

Which one? Virginia? If so, we'll have to hang out when I'm up there!
Yes. Visited the National Museum of African American History And Culture just yesterday.

Chapter Five : FOUR Submarine Flotillas - 21.2.1936 To 5.3.1936
Utsunimiya's War

2K9Hwa4.jpg

Field Marshal Hideki Tojo entered the small office and bowed to Field Marshal Jirō Minami. The leader of "China Operaions" returned the bow and gestured for his superior officer to take a seat.

His office was inside a peasant's house on an abandoned farm. The farm's soil had turned out to be horrible for growing...well, anything, and the owners had left. The house had required a lot of repair to make it livable. But it was close to the border with Shanxi and also allowed his staff's radios to keep in contact with all his subordinates along the front.

"Greetings sir," said Minami with a brief smile. "Would you like some tea? I was somewhat surprised when I was told you were coming. There won't be any action for at least a year."

Tojo sat down and waved off the offer of tea. "I won't be here long. Just to pass on something. A request from me and the Chief of Staff."

"Hajime Sugiyama?"

"Yes," replied Tojo. "As you know he had been bragging that the Army will be able to defeat the Chinese within a couple of months. So we are both asking you to be aggressive when the war starts. Push and push and push."

Before Minami could respond Tojo held up both hands and said, "That is not the only reason I wish for you to be aggressive. Not just because of one man's ego. But because I wish for the war to be as short as possible. We NEED the resources that China holds for our industry. And a prolonged war would drain the resources we DO have. Yes, it would be good for the nation's spirit and also bring glory to the Army. But first, and foremost, I want you to win the war as quickly as you can so we have the materials needed to keep our military in ONE piece."

Field Marshal Jirō Minami nodded. "I understand sir."

"Wonderful," said Tojo. "How ARE you feeling about the war with the People's Republic?"

"I think we could win it as we are right now," replied Minami with a smile. "And with the promise of two Corps on the way...well, we may BE able to win in two months. Or three."

Tojo nodded. "I am sure the Chief of Staff will be happy to hear that. You know, I might say yes to that offer of tea after all."

---

paamSwV.jpg

As the Imperial Japanese Army planned the outside world kept rolling along. In its weird little ways. For example the People's Republic of China, the United States of American, and the United Kingdom all wanted to sell Japan rare materials.

Of course the Foreign Minister turned down all the offers. The Japanese Treasury was tiny after much of it was used to retool more of the factories and ship yards for military construction. The nation would go into debt if it tried to import more rare materials no matter HOW much it needed them.

Then there was all the news from the outside world that flooded the radio broadcasts and filled the news reels in the theaters.

For example, in March, Italy announced that the trains were now, under the new system of government, running on time. (1)

Then in Albania there were work strikes. The government reacted by crushing the strikes and arresting the leaders. Even while this was happening news from Xibei San Ma stated that they were having a surge of volunteers for their military.

zZ68XAa.jpg

On top of that the nations of Czechoslovakia, Panama, and Haiti was all experiencing boosts to their economies. The photos of smiling, happy, factory workers and miners going to work in those countries filled the Japanese newspapers.

---

Wc19GfW.jpg

While this was happening General Shō-ichi Utsunimiya was doing, what many would call a double-take. He was checking to make sure all the Naval units were where he wanted them to be. He was checking on the submarines when the said double-take happened.

The 22. Kaigun was in Saishu, the 21. Kaigun was in Naha, while the 31. AND 23. Kaigun were in Gaoxiong. Which meant the Imperial Japanese Navy now had FOUR Submarine Flotillas.

"Why do they DO this?" complained Utsunimiya to his empty office. "I need them to give me ALL the information."

As he didn't want two Flotillas in one port he ordered the 31. Kaigun to the Port of Mokp'o on the southern tip of Korea. Within a day it had arrived at its new home port.

And within a couple of days the Imperial Japanese Navy was complaining that the Port of Mokp'o didn't have the ability to maintain and supply the twenty submarines. (2)

After some research Utsunimiya found that the Port of P'yongyang seemed like a good place to redeploy the Flotilla. Close to the Chinese ports and big enough to handle the submarines.

So the 31. Kaigun was ordered to the port and arrived there on the 5th of March. There the submarines were being checked and double checked. Hulls, engines, and other systems were pulled apart and replaced. New maps were ordered for the nearby Chinese coast.

Utsunimiya pondered if the Navy would ever trust him with the complete picture of their units and resources or would he have to fight them on it for the rest of his appointment to the IGH?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Author's Notes:

1. Interviews with Italian train police and staff, decades later, would prove this statement to be false. The trains were just as bad under Fascism as they had been under any other form of government.

2. Ten C1-Class Submarines (known as Junsen) and ten C3-Class Submarines (known as Junsen Modified). Large Submarines designed to supply and carry mini-subs.

And with this, Lord El Pip's lawyers sadly closed their offices and went home. With such progress as four things in one update, the copyright suit had no chance of succeeding.

For example, in March, Italy announced that the trains were now, under the new system of government, running on time. (1)
They would have more success trying to get their trains to run on thyme, honestly.

On top of that the nations of Czechoslovakia, Panama, and Haiti was all experiencing boosts to their economies. The photos of smiling, happy, factory workers and miners going to work in those countries filled the Japanese newspapers.
Okay, but enough about bloody foreigners, what about the shiny new submarines??

The 22. Kaigun was in Saishu, the 21. Kaigun was in Naha, while the 31. AND 23. Kaigun were in Gaoxiong. Which meant the Imperial Japanese Navy now had FOUR Submarine Flotillas.
At this rate, I'm not convinced that the Japanese haven't engineered some kind of biomechanical leviathans which reproduce asexually. Perhaps with tentacles in the back and a strange four-armed pilot.

Utsunimiya pondered if the Navy would ever trust him with the complete picture of their units and resources or would he have to fight them on it for the rest of his appointment to the IGH?
Ah, now the thin veneer of cooperativity cracks. The Navy so hates the Army they they cannot even be bothered to provide necessary information to their own plant simply because even posing as an Army man evokes such a visceral disgust in their ranks. As it should be, of course.

That is not the only reason I wish for you to be aggressive. Not just because of one man's ego. But because I wish for the war to be as short as possible. We NEED the resources that China holds for our industry. And a prolonged war would drain the resources we DO have. Yes, it would be good for the nation's spirit and also bring glory to the Army. But first, and foremost, I want you to win the war as quickly as you can so we have the materials needed to keep our military in ONE piece."
I was concerned about Tojo acting bizarrely out of character by even being aware of resource limits or pretending to care about losses. Then I remembered he still thinks China can be net resource positive for the Japanese, reassuring me that he still doesn't have anything like a proper grip on reality.

While this was happening General Shō-ichi Utsunimiya was doing, what many would call a double-take. He was checking to make sure all the Naval units were where he wanted them to be.
How dare the Admirals think they know more about how to deploy their fleet than a jumped up, over-promoted army officer who knows nothing about the sea, ships or Japanese naval doctrine. It's almost like they are a different service.

Hulls, engines, and other systems were pulled apart and replaced. New maps were ordered for the nearby Chinese coast.

Well if he keeps ordering them to pull apart submarine hulls, something which basically wrecks the submarine and means you have to build a new one from scratch, then the answer is probably; "No, the Navy will never give him full information as he keeps ordering their ships to be smashed apart for absolutely no reason, so they think he's an idiot and hate him. To clarify, they hate him even more than the Navy already hates all Army officers."

The Japanese Treasury was tiny after much of it was used to retool more of the factories and ship yards for military construction.
I would strongly suggest selling Military supplies to cashflow a build-up of rare materials and oil. As your threat increases, and other nations get settled into their trade deals it will get harder to get these resources, especially if you join the Axis. If you join the Allies or the Comintern, it's less of a worry. Unless you want to mimic the historical rate at which Japan ran out of resources... Yes this means a small drop in production for Japanese forces, for now, as you would have to increase Military Supply production.

It's a disgrace that an IJA man is allowed to order a thorough search and disassembly of IJN units. This has to be against the convention of Geneva for inter-service rivalry, or something...

Last edited:
"Why do they DO this?" complained Utsunimiya to his empty office. "I need them to give me ALL the information."
I see that Utsunimiya is learning to love military bureaucracies as much as the next guy :)

Chapter Six : Ethiopia Defeated - 5.3.1936 To 17.3.1936
Utsunimiya's War
Chapter Six : Ethiopia Defeated - 5.3.1936 To 17.3.1936

uLnVDhO.jpg

As General Shō-ichi Utsunimiya was trying to do this best to keep on top of what was happening within the Navy the world continued to march on. Mexico, for example, had massive peace demonstrations while in Latvia there was a government scandal that rocked the nation. Something about bribes, women, and chocolate cake.

2Vy7mLn.jpg

The government of Lithuania had issues with illegal underground newspapers and they went about trying to track down the owners of the illegal printing presses. And while this was happening the government of Tannu Tuva was having some political infighting. That's what happens when you have too many parties in your government.

---

lC44NLY.jpg

Around this time the Foreign Minister, noticing that the nation had an excess of crude oil and getting approval from the Ministry of Armaments, agreed to export it to both the nations of Turkey and Brazil to increase the Treasury's income. Luckily both nations were happy for the oil.

Of course there was some Trade Deals that WERE turned down. The Guangxi Clique asked for permission to buy metals and the Soviet Union offered to buy up rare materials. Both of these nations were turned down because the Japanese industry needed every ton of resources it could produce or dig up out of the ground, outside of crude oil, and the Foreign Minister didn't wish to get yelled at a second time.

---

eIRiH0H.jpg

The biggest event during this time period happened on the 17th of March. Even the flooding in Pennsylvania (USA), which had been the center of attention for so long, had suddenly been knocked off its pillar. Replaced by the conquest of Ethiopia by Italy.

Much of the world was either pretending to be outraged or, to be honest, focused on other problems. The Italians acted like its tiny war was an amazing feat of military might. Nobody was impressed and nobody really cared.

The Europeans were more worried about Germans and even the Republic of China felt the Chinese Communists were more of a threat to them than the Japanese. Only the Americans seemed to think the Italians were a threat to them.

Utsunimiya didn’t learn about this event till he was on his way to work the next day, being in a different zone time, and wondered why the Italians had bothered. Was it an ego thing? A need for glory? Or did they just enjoy upsetting the League?

5yJuWrU.png

He had good news waiting for him at the office. Both the Army and the Navy were reporting that all units were in good condition. Even with the horrible infrastructure of the Asian mainland it looked like everybody was getting the food, fuel, and ammo they needed.

The amount of notes and requests and reports in his inbox was getting smaller each day. Maybe he could take some time off soon?

As Utsunimiya pondered maybe taking some time off to visit family the world marched closer and closer to the chaos that would be 1937.

A surplus of crude oil? Sure it's not worth stockpiling it for later? Ethiopia: more muddied Italian 'strategic' thinking. That is: try to pick off the bits no-one else has and you think you can manage. Ethiopia? Tick. Albania? Tick. Greece? Wrong answer! Call in a friend!

The world is certainly keeping itself busy.

I certainly wonder the same as @Bullfilter above me - is Japan so supremely self-confident it can do without the stockpile. Or is there some urgent need for cash?

Ethiopia: more muddied Italian 'strategic' thinking. That is: try to pick off the bits no-one else has and you think you can manage. Ethiopia? Tick. Albania? Tick. Greece? Wrong answer! Call in a friend!
I think you are missing the real reason for Italy's invasion - Revenge. Ethiopia had given Italy a thrashing in the first war and avenging that defeat was a priority for the nationalists in Mussolini's coalition for that reason alone. The commercial advantages, 'imperial prestige' and domestic distraction were all bonuses.

Interestingly Japanese-Ethiopian relations were surprisingly strong, Japanese business saw the African East Coast as ripe commercial market and the ultra-nationalists were keen on a 'Non-white' alliance against the European powers, for ideological and practical reasons (distract the European powers while Japan ran rampant in Asia). The Ethiopian foreign ministry even hoped for Japanese intervention, if only diplomatically and there was a brief flurry of domestic support, before everyone lost interests.