• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

viper37

Lord Translator
23 Badges
Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
  • 500k Club
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
This is a list of tools I found useful and are available for any users with average knowledge of computers and Windows in general.

I would invite you all to add links and a short description to other tools you like (registry editor/clearner, diagnosing utilities, etc.).

Tools
Direct X Buster
This tool will let you remove any version of Direct X from version 5 up to 8.1. The tool is in beta version for DX 8.1 but works nonetheless. This tool doesn't work with Windows XP (and it shouldn't be needed with XP)

Detonator Destroyer
This one lets you completely uninstall any Nvidia Drivers present on your system.

Nvidia Drivers
For TNT/TNT2 cards:
12.41 for TNT/TNT2 cards under Windows 9x, Me
12.41 for TNT/TNT2 cards under Windows 2000 or XP
This drivers are the most stable up to now

Other cards (GeForce and Quadro)
Latest drivers are easily available from Nvidia's main site.

Voodoo Cards (3Dfx)
3rd party drivers, tips&resources for 3dfx owners

Sites
Tweak 3D
This is for advanced users only. Contains tips and links to other sites to improve overall computer performance.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Several people have requested a way to change the hot keys, particularly the Pause key. Here is a link to a Keyboard remapper.

Keyboard REMAPPER

Also here is a link to the ATI Site
ATI Cards
ATI Driver Download

Reactions:
a few sites containning valuable info on various topics:

TCP/IP Basics

A way to cut on SPAM

Cooling accessories for various parts of your computer

How to manually uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Virtual Machine - NOTE: don't do this procedure unless you know what you're doing or a moderator recommend it to you.

Windows emulator for Linux systems

Three tools to convert your document into PDF format (Adobe Acrobat Reader)

US Robotics (modem) support page Contains firmware upgrade as well as drivers

GetRight download manager - let you split files so they download faster

Windows XP tips&tricks - For beginners mostly

Tech forum for advanced users

RedKnight7 recommends this utility to remap the pause key to a mouse button.

RedKnight7 said:
I'm kinda new here so excuse me if everybody already knows a good utility (or doesn't care for one!), but

I just came across AutoHotKey at www.autohotkey.com. With this, I have remapped my Pause key to a mouse thumb button, the Enter key to the other extra mouse button, and map zoom to the mouse wheel.

What a joy to not have one hand on the mouse, and the other hand in the upper right of the keyboard most of the time! :)

It's freeware. BUT you can only remap your mouse under WinXP. The remapping can be easily suspended if e.g. you Alt-Tab to do something else, and want your mouse to function normally.

For anyone interested, here's an AutoHotKey script that does what I just said:
Code:
XButton1::Send, {Enter}       ; mousebutton 3 = Enter
XButton2::Send, {Pause}       ; mousebutton 4 = Pause
WheelDown::Send, {NumpadSub}  ; mousewheel down = "-" zoom in
WheelUp::Send, {NumpadAdd}    ; mousewheel up = "+" zoom in
If you prefer the zoom direction or extra buttons switched around, just edit the script accordingly.

Also, here's an experimental one that makes the mousewheel click (pushing the wheel) be a shift-rightclick (for movement waypoints). Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't:
Code:
*MButton::Send, +{RButton}    ; wheelbutton = shift-right click
Note that this last one probably won't work if you used Intellipoint mouse software to change the function of the wheel button (but it may work, if you switch it back to default behavior in Intellipoint).

AutoHotKey has a very active support forum, so ask away there if you have questions... I'm brand new to it, and learning.

If anybody else has utility tips, chime in!

Reactions:
turbotoni27 said:
it would be very nice if anyone could post a link where i can download the whole scenario editor.......thanks :)
It is in all the patches since 1.05. What patch are you running?

Note that the scenario editor never worked 100%, and with 1.09 is pretty much useless. Instead drop into the User Mods forum and see how things are done in there.