• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mmiat

Private
13 Badges
Jul 22, 2013
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
is it possible to use CONTROL or SPACE for PAUSE? they are more confortable than PAUSE button
I've found Db\Interface\buttons.txt and I've tried to modified it, but with no success
thanks

is it possible to use CONTROL or SPACE for PAUSE? they are more confortable than PAUSE button
I've found Db\Interface\buttons.txt and I've tried to modified it, but with no success
thanks

Why would CTRL or SPACE be more comfortable to pause then the PAUSE key?

You can simply click on the small hourglass at the top of the screen too to pause.

Why would CTRL or SPACE be more comfortable to pause then the PAUSE key?

You can simply click on the small hourglass at the top of the screen too to pause.
Assuming your keyboard layout isn't too different from the norm, the pause key is small and difficult to reach with the left hand. More modern Paradox games use the spacebar for pausing because it allows the player to keep their hand on the pause button without having their arm in an uncomfortable position while playing. As you said, you can just use the hourglass to pause, but that's less efficient. I realize that EU2 isn't exactly a very fast-paced game, but if you pause during almost every single decision like I do, it gets annoying fast to use the pause key or hourglass icon to do it.

I'm assuming the OP has similar issues, but I'm afraid I have no idea how to change the pause button myself.

Assuming your keyboard layout isn't too different from the norm, the pause key is small and difficult to reach with the left hand. More modern Paradox games use the spacebar for pausing because it allows the player to keep their hand on the pause button without having their arm in an uncomfortable position while playing. As you said, you can just use the hourglass to pause, but that's less efficient. I realize that EU2 isn't exactly a very fast-paced game, but if you pause during almost every single decision like I do, it gets annoying fast to use the pause key or hourglass icon to do it.

I'm assuming the OP has similar issues, but I'm afraid I have no idea how to change the pause button myself.

If you want to pause for almost every single decision then why not auto-pause using the settings in the options menu? Someone declares war on you - autopause etc.

If you want to pause for almost every single decision then why not auto-pause using the settings in the options menu? Someone declares war on you - autopause etc.
When I say every single decision I refer to just about anything in the game requiring user action, be it training soldiers, giving orders to explorers or placing merchants. I dislike letting game time go to waste, so I use frequent pauses as a means to micromanage my empire. It also helps a lot in war when trying to get the right timing to attack or retreat. You can use autopause for some things, but not everything.

Not everyone has a keyboard with a PAUSE key sadly, a lot of laptop keyboard layouts omit the PAUSE key. You can always just click on the hourglass, but for some users other hotkeys would be good and IIRC in FtG SPACE does not clash with SPACE - to leave a " " when you want to rename an army - as much as it does in let's say Darkest Hour.;)

Today I just found the way using the spacebar to pause.
Open For the Glory\Db\Interface\buttons.txt by using notepad.
Search Button_Pause_Alternate line by using Ctrl+F and input "BUTTON_PAUSE_ALTERNATE".

Code:
press = {
   id = "BUTTON_PAUSE_ALTERNATE"
   bitmap = "empty.bmp"
   shortcut = " " # replace shortcut = F9.
   background = "btn_bar_pause.bmp"
   lower = "BUTTON_0050"
   upper = ""
}

replace shortcut = F9 by shortcut = " " then save the file.
After that you can pause the game by using the spacebar. Enjoy!

Reactions:
Today I just found the way using the spacebar to pause.
Open For the Glory\Db\Interface\buttons.txt by using notepad.
Search Button_Pause_Alternate line by using Ctrl+F and input "BUTTON_PAUSE_ALTERNATE".

Code:
press = {
   id = "BUTTON_PAUSE_ALTERNATE"
   bitmap = "empty.bmp"
   shortcut = " " # replace shortcut = F9.
   background = "btn_bar_pause.bmp"
   lower = "BUTTON_0050"
   upper = ""
}

replace shortcut = F9 by shortcut = " " then save the file.
After that you can pause the game by using the spacebar. Enjoy!
That worked perfectly, thanks!

Last edited: