• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Deus

A et Ω
46 Badges
Dec 11, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Welcome to the United States of America. The land of the free and the home of the brave. After a long consideration I decided to start my own AAR, because I read a lot of them these days and kind of wanted to do something similar.

The game will be played on a standard ARMAGEDDON version of HOI 2. With normal/normal settings and use full tech team and IC takeover.

I will start this game on 1936, but as I always tend to do, I’ve set myself some few basic rules about how to play this game. I will not build factories, because the Industrial potential of the US is huge. I’ll trade with anybody whom at the time don’t seem hostile to me. That means the Soviet Union and Nazis too. At times I may trade with two opposite sides of an armed conflict.

As for military build-up, I restrict large land and air forces build-up to a time when I decide that war seems to be knocking on my door. Naval build-up will proceed as usually as possible. I intend to modernize the American fleet, scrap old ships and replace them with new ones.

As a word of caution: This will be a very gameplay orientated AAR and therefore will contain a lot of pictures. I intend not to edit any of the pictures. I want the viewer to get the same feeling as I did while playing. So a lot of them will be quite repetitive. Oh and I tend to update at irregular intervals, but try to update once a week.

OH, I’ll try to remember and post the links to updates in the first post. :)

Update 1. Setting up shop

So here we are – the land of US of A.

ScreenSave3.jpg

Alaska

ScreenSave4.jpg

Northern Pacific

ScreenSave5.jpg

Southern Pacific

ScreenSave6.jpg

Guam and our allies The Philippines

ScreenSave7.jpg

The World

1936.jpg

So first step is to set get my research teams busy. What on earth were they doing in 1935? Picking their noses?

ScreenSave19.jpg

Then some sliding to do….

Before:

ScreenSave21.jpg

And after. Much, much prettier!
ScreenSave22.jpg

And then let set our political agenda for the year. We want our troops to be more experienced when they come out of basic training.

ScreenSave24.jpg

This will continue…

Update 1. Setting up shop continued

Spy situation is terrible
ScreenSave26.jpg

We’ll send one more :D
ScreenSave28.jpg

Our sliding starts to take effect.
ScreenSave29.jpg

Some more sliding to do.
ScreenSave30.jpg

It is boring how the Americans have set up their forces… Rebase you all
ScreenSave31.jpg

Good
ScreenSave32.jpg

Were popular among the Polish people. You’ll see this type stuff more, since the pre war years are boring.
ScreenSave34.jpg

We have a silly fleet in Manila. It takes a lot of Mani, hm Money.
ScreenSave35.jpg

Even sillier is the Seattle fleet. I mean come on Seattle fleet? It’s more like Seattle reef.
ScreenSave36.jpg

To be continued…

Pacific Naval Restructuring

A whole-lotta-naval-restructuring. It so boring I don’t know what to type now.
ScreenSave37.jpg

ScreenSave38.jpg

ScreenSave41.jpg

ScreenSave42.jpg

ScreenSave43.jpg

What do you mean that you don’t show me the disbanding screen? Ok. I disbanded all version I ships. They were nice target practice. Oh and stupid Japanese, they need to send English speaking spies to me. Not the kind that can only say: “I spy!”.
ScreenSave44.jpg

This is how spies are sent to America.
ScreenSave46.jpg

Now the Pacific Navies are done.
ScreenSave52.jpg

ScreenSave55.jpg

ScreenSave56.jpg

To be continued…

Atlantic Naval Restructuring

We move on to Atlantic… Destroyers scrapped. I suspect that the navy has a level I destroyer fetish. They slow down the navy a lot.
ScreenSave57.jpg

You go to a different port
ScreenSave58.jpg

You too.
ScreenSave59.jpg

Didn’t you learn anything the last time? I said English speaking!
ScreenSave60.jpg

This is how do we do it. Two pop ups at a time!
ScreenSave62.jpg

No more USS Arkansas
ScreenSave63.jpg

No more Destroyers.
ScreenSave64.jpg

You sailors go an sell your stuff to the hippies.
ScreenSave65.jpg

See Japan. This is how spies are sent!
ScreenSave67.jpg

Airplanes get updated too.
ScreenSave68.jpg

To be continued

Other Boring stuff

The Japanese manage to crush the coup. They are doing much better at home already. I knew it. English is the magic word.
ScreenSave69.jpg

Our puppet wants to trade. We accept
ScreenSave70.jpg

Heinrich teach your boys to speak English! Alles Klar?
ScreenSave72.jpg

I’m developing a mild case of schizophrenia.
ScreenSave73.jpg

And therefore send some spies.
ScreenSave75.jpg

Reoccupation of Rhineland. Things are heating up in Europe.
ScreenSave76.jpg

This is Europe (some apparently don’t recognize it).
ScreenSave77.jpg

The Italians are getting away with it.
ScreenSave79.jpg

In Greece a minister dies and South Africans spread the disease…
ScreenSave80.jpg

So that poor George passes away too. (Who was he?). Oh and some event in China.
ScreenSave81.jpg

Enough pictures for you this time.

I intend to update this next week. So feel free to get bored in the meantime. You can do it in here too!

Scorpi:Well my aim is to play the game like a novice player that I am. So if somebody will open this thread up then they'll see just that. From the boring beginning to the great unknown.

SouthCarolinian: Well it is just the beginning. I hope so too.

rcduggan:Glad to have you on board.

thatguy:Yes, that is the aim. now conquering it is a completely different matter. :rofl:

An Update should come today or if RL intervenes, then tomorrow.

Update 2. What do we have here
The Italians got away with it.

So the Italians got away with it. They took their time. The front probably stalled a lot when they were having a siesta every 2 hours.
ScreenSave82.jpg

On to farming: Agrichemistry!!
ScreenSave84.jpg

Let’s get on with it: Agricultural Production! We’re a farming nation at heart.
ScreenSave85.jpg

But we do need shiny new cruiser types.
ScreenSave86.jpg

Not to mention proper screens, instead of this rubble we made reefs out of.
ScreenSave87.jpg

I can see why you want to be friends. Everybody wants to be friends with me!
ScreenSave88.jpg

As you can see EVERYBODY!
ScreenSave90.jpg

ScreenSave91.jpg

Tankette. Is that a French word? We don’t need any stinkin’ French tanks!
ScreenSave93.jpg

Research more! Early Tank, -- well early in battle, early at home!
ScreenSave94.jpg

To be continued…

Update 2. What do we have here continues
It’s certainly bubbling.
Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.

Hey, the Nazis are putting moonrockets on Cuba!!
ScreenSave97.jpg

Yay, early Infantry (not that I’m ever going to produce em, or am I?). I feel confused.
ScreenSave99.jpg

More morale for CAS. I don’t know how to produce any though.
ScreenSave100.jpg

John says, all smiling, that the government is actually getting more for it’s money. So up to now we paid for nothing??
ScreenSave101.jpg

What the heck am I going to do with a Carrier Air Group for a Carrier that is stillunder construction?
ScreenSave102.jpg

ScreenSave103.jpg

And then stuff started to happen
ScreenSave104.jpg

ScreenSave105.jpg

Some distant war..
ScreenSave107.jpg

Even updrade notices are more interesting
ScreenSave110.jpg

That’s it for now!

I played my first several games as US. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it.

Give us some exposition: How are you going to build up? When will you start it? What will you build first?
How do you organize your army? A couple 12-stacks of Arm-SPArt, and a hundred corps 1Mech-SPArt/2Mot-SPArt?
Tac/Str? or Cas/Tac? Ftr or Int?
What is your strategy for the war? Will you concentrate first on Europe to thwart the Red Menace, or will you punish Japan until she cries Uncle? Will you bomb a province to dust then walk in, or go in without any prep and count on surprise and speed?
What are your short- and long-term goals? (obviously longest-term is WC, but there are steps...)
Many things need to be decided now, so Tell Us! How will you do it?

Some feedback

Monarch1st said:
I played my first several games as US. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do it.

Give us some exposition: How are you going to build up? When will you start it? What will you build first?
How do you organize your army? A couple 12-stacks of Arm-SPArt, and a hundred corps 1Mech-SPArt/2Mot-SPArt?
Tac/Str? or Cas/Tac? Ftr or Int?
What is your strategy for the war? Will you concentrate first on Europe to thwart the Red Menace, or will you punish Japan until she cries Uncle? Will you bomb a province to dust then walk in, or go in without any prep and count on surprise and speed?
What are your short- and long-term goals? (obviously longest-term is WC, but there are steps...)
Many things need to be decided now, so Tell Us! How will you do it?

Firstly, I'm glad to have somebody asking questions. I played a trial game with USA before to get the feeling of the nation. There I built some 30 IC to spend my time and saw that it was really useless, that's why I don't do it this time.

My plans are to start a limited buildup in mid 1937 to get brand-spanking-new ships. My naval plans are to have about 4 new carriers and 6 new battleships, then an armada of cruisers and so forth. My naval plans will focus on a war with the Japanese, since they are my first target. I plan to field a Decent battleship fleet and a good carrier group with a few battleships and screens. If necesary I'll withdraw some troops from the islands, but intend to play a realistic game. I intend to hold the Philipines though.

My masterplan is to take the Japs out first. That requires marines, a navy and a bomberforce to kick the c*ap out of them.

I intend to build 8 squadrons of CAG-s around 1938, then build a few marine divisions and a few tank divisions. Major buildup will start in mid 1941 when it would be realistic or before if my intervention and/or standing army slider gets to the left side enough.

I haven't thought about army organization yet but I tend to thing I'll miz mechanized and tanks. The first part will inevitably be an Island hopping campaign so marines are required. This is a time when I want to educate my commanders. The real enemy is in eastern europe.

I'm more of a speed and encirclement kinda guy. I intend to use CAG-s when I can, but generally tend to use fast moving troops to push the enemy back and capture vital areas. Last time my european adventure started in western france and Kiel. Western troops had one objective, bush the germans east. troops in Kiel had two objectives -- cut france's supplies and drive to berlin. They ended up driving to Leningrad cause the german front was near the URAL mountains. And then the Reds declared on me.

War with the reds will start but is not an immediate goal of mine. And I don't know if I have the patience to WC. :)

Thanks again for your questions. Feel free to come and comment/ask again if anything is unclear.

Miihkali said:
I've never played as USA, so this will be very interesting to read. Good luck

Thanks! The main thing with the States is to keep yourself busy during the beginning. That requires some roleplaying or a clear focus on the end-goal. I have plotted the game out in my head. Let's see if it goes that way too.

Thanks for your replies, they mean a lot to me. I'll try to update this on sunday or on monday.

Deus said:
...I intend to build 8 squadrons of CAG-s around 1938...
...I'm more of a speed and encirclement kinda guy. I intend to use CAG-s ...
'CAG' normally means Carrier Air Group, which you need to have one for each carrier you build, but aren't a lot of good for land battles of encirclement. Did you mean 'TAC', tactical air groups?

Tell us more - what are your research priorities? Will you attack Japan early, or will you let them come to you somewhere around the historical date?
And while I agree that the US has an enormous amount of IC later in the game which is often wasted, the main reason I IC whore for a while in the beginning is TC. The US is so spread out with so many units that if I don't maximize IC when I have the time, I have problems with TC later on.

Monarch1st said:
'CAG' normally means Carrier Air Group, which you need to have one for each carrier you build, but aren't a lot of good for land battles of encirclement. Did you mean 'TAC', tactical air groups?

Tell us more - what are your research priorities? Will you attack Japan early, or will you let them come to you somewhere around the historical date?
And while I agree that the US has an enormous amount of IC later in the game which is often wasted, the main reason I IC whore for a while in the beginning is TC. The US is so spread out with so many units that if I don't maximize IC when I have the time, I have problems with TC later on.

I just realized my mistake too. CAS, I meant CAS. Got the S in my head, didn't know why I wrote a G.

Research priorities are things that get me troops morale. Things that develop CAS and Fighters. Doctrines too. I want to get a naval superiority early in the game versus the Japanese and also an Aerial superiority. If that is achieved then I can start planning an invasion of the home isles of theirs. Naval bombers are a must too.

With Full IC takeover, Germany should have a buttload of IC (Around 500-600 base IC), and if Japan takesover all of china, they will also be a menace. So hopefully it should be a challenge.