• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LlywelynII

Field Marshal
11 Badges
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
(cur) (last) 18:27, 27-08-2008 Llywelyn (Talk | contribs)

[size=+3]Uruguay[/size]
From Vickywiki, the free encyclopedia

Uruguay is a tiny, funny-sounding nation in South America. It is populated mostly by cows, who form the backbone of the Blanco party, and illegal immigrants, who support Colorado.

Typicalblanco.jpg

30px-Flag-map_of_Uruguay.svg.png
This AARticle about Uruguay is a stub. You can help Vickywiki by sending us money.

Last edited:
Oho, looks who's back.

I like wiki jokes. And cow jokes.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I like the look of this. :D

(cur) (last) 03:22, 29-08-2008 Llywelyn (Talk | contribs)

[size=+3]Indigenous peoples in Uruguay[/size]

The Indigenous Peoples of Uruguay (Portunhol: pobrecitos indígentes no Uruguai) consist of six federally-funded reënactors who live on a reservation at UruguayWorld! in Montevideu. They are all 1/64 Guarani and recreate village life at a Charruan Indian village from 9 to 6:30 all days except national holidays.

Indiansidebar.jpg

Contents
  1. [anchorlink=Terminology]Terminology[/anchorlink]
  2. [anchorlink=Origin]Origin[/anchorlink]
  3. [anchorlink=Indians]Indians of Uruguay[/anchorlink]
  4. [anchorlink=Charrua]The Charrua[/anchorlink]

[Edit]​
[anchor=Terminology][size=+1]Terminology[/size][/anchor]

Despite knowing better, the Portuguese followed Columbus in naming the peoples of the New World índios ("Indians.") To distinguish them, the people of India then had to be called indianos ("Indianans,") which in turn required calling the people of Indiana by the nonce word hoosieres.

[Edit]​
[anchor=Origin][size=+1]Origin[/size][/anchor]

The native peoples of the Americas are traditionally held to have crossed the Bering Ice Bridge during the last Ice Age approximately 10,000 years ago and migrated south from Alaska.

However, recently, a number of jingoist clerks in Sao Paulo state have proposed an alternate theory called the Solutrean Hypothesis, a suggestion that South America was initially settled by Europeans before the current batch of indians. Although demurring when asked whether they actually believe this idea, the anthropologists point out it is now mentioned in Wikipedia and requires government funding to explore.

[Edit]​
[anchor=Indians][size=+1]Indians of Uruguay[/size][/anchor]

Because Uruguay was covered mostly by treeless, featureless plain and the indians - having very low prestige - were unable to buy livestock from the world market to take best advantage of it, the native population of the region was initially very low, around five to ten thousand people.

The oldest known indication of settlement in Uruguay are rock carvings at Chamangá. At the time of contact with the Europeans, the principal inhabitants of the region were the Charrua, with settlements of Bohanes, Chana, Yaro, Guenoa, and Guarani along the Uruguay. These all spoke languages cognate with one another. In addition, the Arachanes were settled to the northeast along the coast. All of these were hunter-gatherer societies.

[Edit]​
[anchor=Charrua][size=+1]The Charrua[/size][/anchor]

The Uruguayans continue to refer to themselves as Charrua, and Los Charruas is the nickname of their phenomenal national soccer team. In a classic example of Stockholm Syndrome, this is because the Charruas - scant in numbers and armed only with bows and stones - were able to keep at bay and kill off the relatives of the ancestors of the modern Uruguayans for over a century.

CharruaDistrib.jpg

The actual Charruas, ignorant of Greek mythology, Classical history, and Spanish toponymy, accepted an invitation to meeting with the nephew of the Uruguayan president only to be ambushed and massacred at Salsipuedes ("Escape if you can") Creek in 1831.

The last four known - Vaimaca, Senaque, Guyunusa, and Tacuabe, - were taken to Paris two years later by François de Curel, to be displayed to the king, scientific societies, and general public as curiosities. The first three died within a year, but Tacuabe and his infant daughter by Guyunusa both escaped while in Lyons. There is a statue The Last Charruas in Montevideu in their honor; the city and department of Tacuarembó were also named for him.

LastCharruas.jpg

Last edited:
That's right.

Excellent minority policies, and what can you say - world market's a bitch.

(cur) (last) 02:31, 01-09-2008 Llywelyn (Talk | contribs)

[size=+3]Colonial History of Uruguay[/size]

"Colonial Uruguay" redirects here. For other uses, see Colonial Uruguay (disambiguation). For the death metal band Colonal Uruguay, see here.

The Colonial Period of Uruguay extends from the first exploration of the northern Rio de la Plata by Spanish piloto mayor João Dias de Solis in 1516 to the region's freedom from European powers in the early nineteenth century. Uruguay achieved independence from Spain in 1810, from Argentina in 1815, from Portugal in 1822, from Brazil in 1828, and from British commercial interests sometime last week.

Contents
  1. [anchorlink=First]First contacts[/anchorlink]
  2. [anchorlink=Vice1]The Viceroyalty of Peru[/anchorlink]
  3. [anchorlink=Reduction]The Jesuit Reductions[/anchorlink]
  4. [anchorlink=Vice2]The Viceroyalty of Rio de la Plata[/anchorlink]
  5. [anchorlink=PUS]The United Provinces of South America[/anchorlink]
  6. [anchorlink=LFC]The League of Free Cities[/anchorlink]
  7. [anchorlink=Brazil]The Empire of Brazil[/anchorlink]

[Edit]​
[anchor=First][size=+1]First Contacts[/size][/anchor]
The region which later became the nucleus of Uruguay was first discovered by a Portuguese explorer employed and subsequently claimed by Spain. João Dias de Solis had previously survived exploring the coasts of the Yucatan and Brazil and received promotion to piloto mayor following the death of Amerigo Vespucci. Following the discovery of the South Sea (ie, Pacific Ocean) by Balboa, the Spanish outfitted an expedition to seek a strait connecting to it from the Atlantic and explore its coastline. Setting sail from Lepe on 8 October 1515, Dias reached the bay of Rio de Janeiro on 1 January. Some time later, he reached the inlet he called the Mar Dulce ("Sweet Sea,") but was killed soon after discovering it did not communicate to the Pacific - either by Charrua indians he was attempting to enslave near the confluence of the Uruguay and Parana rivers (upon the testimony of his crew) or by his crew, who certainly lied about the indians being cannibals and immediately returned home after his demise.

Following his death, the river was renamed from Mar Dulce to the Rio de Solis in his honor, but was later altered to the Rio de la Plata (River of Silver) by real estate agents.

Fernão de Magalhães, also a Portuguese pilot in service to the Spanish crown, reached the Rio de la Plata 10 January 1520 on his famous voyage, but overcame his mutiny, drawing, quartering, and impaling the mutinous captains before continuing to his own death at the hands of the Lapu-Lapu natives of the Philippines.

The first construction within Uruguay was the fort San Salvador built at the confluence of the Rio San Salvador and the Uruguay in August 1527 by the Italian explorer Sebastiano Caboto. Commissioned in early 1526 to take four ships and two hundred men to find a more northerly passage to China and the Moluccas than the Straits of Magellan, he changed the plan to an exploration of the central continent upon hearing in Recife of the almost-successful raid of Aleixo García, an entrepreneurial shipwreck from de Solis's expedition who tried to pull a Pizarro a decade early. After marooning the other officers of the expedition, Caboto sailed to the Rio de la Plata and explored it for five months before sailing up the Parana and the Paraguay and constructing another fort called Sancti Spiritus near Rosario. After forgetting to lock the door during a raid, the local indians took and razed it, then became bolder in their attacks on the men. A council in late 1529 was allowed to suggest they return home; upon return Caboto was arrested and - after three months of drawing up the charges with the thirty-odd survivors - convicted to fines and banishment to Spanish North Africa for disobedience and maladministration. Upon his appeal to a higher court, the length of banishment was doubled. Catching Carlos I on a good day, however, this was commuted to time served and Caboto continued to serve as piloto mayor, only paying some arrears from his generous salary.

The fort was destroyed by a confederacy of the Charrua and Yaro indians in 1530.

[Edit]​
[anchor=Vice1][size=+1]The Viceroyalty of Peru[/size][/anchor]

[Edit]​
[anchor=Reduction][size=+1]The Jesuit Reductions[/size][/anchor]

[Edit]​
[anchor=Vice2][size=+1]The Viceroyalty of Rio de la Plata[/size][/anchor]

[Edit]​
[anchor=PUS][size=+1]The United Provinces of South America[/size][/anchor]

[Edit]​
[anchor=LFC][size=+1]The League of the Free Cities[/size][/anchor]

[Edit]​
[anchor=Brazil][size=+1]The Empire of Brazil[/size][/anchor]

This AARticle about Uruguay is a stub. You can help Vickywiki by sending us money.

Last edited:
Im guesing the rest will be filled in later? Anyway, that teaches you not to be careless with locking doors...

robou said:
Im guesing the rest will be filled in later? Anyway, that teaches you not to be careless with locking doors...

He might put it in another post to prevent this from becoming too long. Or he may just leave it. :p

Always good to catch the king on a good day.

(cur) (last) 21:21, 22-09-2008 Llywelyn (Talk | contribs)

[size=+3]Talk:Uruguay[/size]

Contents
  1. [anchorlink=Oho]Oho[/anchorlink]
  2. [anchorlink=Spose]I spose[/anchorlink]
  3. [anchorlink=master]The master[/anchorlink]
  4. [anchorlink=explanation]Status Report[/anchorlink]
  5. [anchorlink=Fantastic]Fantastic[/anchorlink]
  6. [anchorlink=Mmm]Mmm.[/anchorlink]

[[anchorlink=Oho]Edit[/anchorlink]]​
[anchor=Oho][size=+1]Oho[/size][/anchor]
looks who's back.

I like wiki jokes. And cow jokes. -RoyGBiv. 2008-08-27 18:31.
I like the look of this. -likk 2008-08-27 22:13.
hehe. -Erehwon 2008-08-30 02:10.
This is hilarious! -Alfred Packer 2008-09-03 21:25
Hilarious... -Murmurandus 2008-09-16 18:22
:) - Lly. 2008-09-03 20:33.

[[anchorlink=Spose]Edit[/anchorlink]]​
[anchor=Spose][size=+1]I spose[/size][/anchor]
it does sound funny now I think about it... what? - robou. 2008-08-27 20:56

[[anchorlink=master]Edit[/anchorlink]]​
[anchor=master][size=+1]The master[/size][/anchor]
returns. I . . . I am not sure where I was going with this, except to say we've kept the bed warm for you. -phargle. 2008-08-30 06:59.
I think you've confused me with someone else (like yourself :p,) but thanks anyhow. Particularly if you kept the bed warm the old fashioned way - with comely serving girls. -lly. 2008-09-03 20:41.

[[anchorlink=explanation]Edit[/anchorlink]]​
[anchor=explanation][size=+1]Status Report[/size][/anchor]
Just a brief note of apology for the lagginess - the current state of wiki's pages on the Spanish Empire is abysmal. As one example, a grant of the king concerning the Ciudad de Santisima Trinidad (an old name for Buenos Aires) links to Trinidad and Tobago, and Nueva Andalucia (the original grant for the Rio de la Plata) is only discussed as the Venezuelan province. So I'm wading through and even trying to correct the worst bits, which means running into all wiki's problems.

Just lost a thirty minute edit of the Querandi indians to a guy who chose just. that. moment to bold two words on a page that had been left alone for years; I click replace & nothing happens, then firefox reloaded (pulling up his version) when I hit the back button to the edit page instead of pulling up what I'd done...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Anyhow, we'll be along to the game directly. - Lly. 2008-09-03 20:43
I found this a very amusing way to address us. Big props on staying in character, Llyw. - likk9922. 2008-09-04 03:09
Well, I did the same thing the other time I tried it, but yeah, I think it helps keep the format. - Lly. 2008-09-22 20:50

[anchor=Fantastic][size=+1]Fantastic.[/size][/anchor]
I want to come back to this page daily just to see the cow tongue. - phargle 2008-09-03 23:35
hehe. Uruguay seems to be a nice place to live. :D - Enewald 2008-09-14 14:51

[anchor=Mmm][size=+1]Mmm.[/size][/anchor]
by accident I stumble upon this gem - as I rarely frequent the Vicky side of things (I really can't get it right... a game of Vicky that is...) - and it is clearly of the quality of the opening posts of a Collage of CAARdinals. I am quite happy now, Lily, please do continue... :D - Murmurandus 2008-09-10 21:46

Last edited:
I found this a very amusing way to address us. Big props on staying in character, Llyw. :D

(cur) (last) 13:34, 06-09-2008 Llywelyn (Talk | contribs)

[size=+3]Colonial History of Uruguay[/size]

"Colonial Uruguay" redirects here. For other uses, see Colonial Uruguay (disambiguation). For the death metal band Colonal Uruguay, see here.

The Colonial Period of Uruguay lasted from the first exploration of the northern Rio de la Plata by Spanish piloto mayor João Dias de Solis in 1516 until the region's freedom from European powers in the early nineteenth century. Uruguay achieved independence from Spain in 1810, from Argentina in 1815, from Portugal in 1822, from Brazil in 1828, and from British commercial interests sometime last week.

Contents
  1. [anchorlink=First]Shock and Denial[/anchorlink]
  2. [anchorlink=Neglect]Isolation[/anchorlink]
  3. [anchorlink=Colonia]Anger[/anchorlink]
  4. [anchorlink=Bargaining]Bargaining[/anchorlink]
  5. [anchorlink=Depression]Depression[/anchorlink]
  6. [anchorlink=Acceptance]Acceptance[/anchorlink]

[Edit]​
[anchor=First][size=+1]Shock and Denial[/size][/anchor]
The region which later became the nucleus of Uruguay was first discovered by a Portuguese explorer employed and subsequently claimed by Spain. João Dias de Solis had previously survived exploring the coasts of the Yucatan and Brazil and received promotion to piloto mayor following the death of Amerigo Vespucci. Following the discovery of the South Sea (ie, Pacific Ocean) by Balboa, the Spanish outfitted an expedition to seek a strait connecting to it from the Atlantic and explore its coastline. Setting sail from Lepe on 8 October 1515, Dias reached the bay of Rio de Janeiro on 1 January. Some time later, he reached the inlet he called the Mar Dulce ("Sweet Sea,") but was killed soon after discovering it did not communicate to the Pacific - either by Charrua indians he was attempting to enslave near the confluence of the Uruguay and Parana rivers (upon the testimony of his crew) or by his crew, who certainly lied about the indians being cannibals and immediately returned home after his demise.

Following his death, the river was renamed from Mar Dulce to the Rio de Solis in his honor, but was later altered to the Rio de la Plata (River of Silver) by real estate agents.

Fernão de Magalhães, also a Portuguese pilot in service to the Spanish crown, reached the Rio de la Plata 10 January 1520 on his famous voyage, but overcame his mutiny by drawing, quartering, and impaling the mutinous captains. He then continued on to his own death at the hands of the Lapu-Lapu natives of the Philippines.

The first construction within Uruguay was the fort San Salvador built at the confluence of the Rio San Salvador and the Uruguay in August 1527 by the Italian explorer Sebastiano Caboto. Because the enormous lines of latitude and longitude crossing the globe would not be noticed until the advent of satellite photography, Caboto was commissioned in early 1526 to take four ships and two hundred men to establish the eastern and western lines of the Treaty of Tordesillas (ToT) by means of astronomical observation. He was also to seek a more northerly passage to the South Sea than the Straits of Magellan and reinforce the Spanish position in the Moluccas with colonists.

As Caboto knew that Ternate was already settled and so far from the nearest American port that attrition would destroy its fleet before his arrival, he changed this plan to an exploration of the central continent, particularly after hearing in Recife of the almost-successful raid of Aleixo García, an entrepreneurial shipwreck from de Solis's expedition who tried to pull a Pizarro a decade early.

Meeting some resistance from his more responsible officers, he marooned them off Brazil and sailed to the Rio de la Plata, exploring it for five months before sailing up the Parana and the Paraguay and constructing Fuerte Espiritu Santo near Rosario. After forgetting to lock the door during a raid, local indians in search of white women took and razed it, then became bolder in their attacks on the men.

A council in late 1529 was allowed to suggest they return home; Caboto was arrested on the docks at Seville and - after three months of drawing up the charges with the thirty-odd survivors - convicted to fines and banishment to Spanish North Africa for his disobedience and maladministration. Hs appeal to a higher court led to the length of his banishment being doubled for wasting the court's time. Catching Carlos I on a good day, however, this was commuted to time served and Caboto continued to serve as piloto mayor, only paying some arrears from his generous salary.

San Salvador was destroyed by a confederacy of the Charrua and Yaro indians in 1530.

[Edit]​
[anchor=Neglect][size=+1]Isolation[/size][/anchor]
Under Spanish law, all of its territories in the New World were held as royal demesne. Because this caused grave problems with tax efficiency (particularly given the low intrigue scores of the later Habsburg monarchs,) it was over time subdivided into various governorates, provinces, audiences, and so forth, which acted precisely like Spanish fiefholds except they provided no title on their own.

On paper, the "Eastern" Strand (Banda Oriental) of the Rio de la Plata passed from the adelantado governator of New Andalusia (1535) to the adelantado governator of the River Plate, first at Assumption (1569) and then at Trinity City (1617). These governators were under the direct authority of the Council of the Indies formed by the queen's confessor in 1493 until the establishment of the Viceroyalty of Peru in 1542, although the latter hardly mattered until the advent of Francisco de Toledo since Peru was in a state of almost continual civil war. Jurisdiction was held by Seville, then Panama (1538,) then Lima (1543,) then Silver City in New Toledo (1559.)

Thanks to the Charruas and its location out of the way of the easiest route to the Peruvian silver fields, at no time during any of this was the region actually inhabited by any Spaniards whatsoever.

While the governators enslaved natives, bedded natives, killed natives, were killed by natives, took turns getting one another arrested, and focused their efforts on securing the innavigable Pilcomayo despite royal orders to route all traffic from the Potosi mines through Lima, the Charrua killed off the settlements at San Juan Bautista on the Rio San Juan in 1552 and the fort San Salvador at the location of Caboto's erection in 1574.

This meant that the defeat of the Querandi by Juan de Garay allowed Trinity City to become the main port and capital of the estuary for the rest of the colonial period. This despite its thin, sandy harbor being far inferior to the anchorages along the eastern shore.

Franciscans finally succeeded in founding the encomienda settlement of Santo Domingo de Sorriano at confluence of the Uruguay and the Rio Negro in 1624, 44 years later.

[Edit]​
[anchor=Colonia][size=+1]Anger[/size][/anchor]

[Edit]​
[anchor=Bargaining][size=+1]Bargaining[/size][/anchor]

[Edit]​
[anchor=Depression][size=+1]Depression[/size][/anchor]

[Edit]​
[anchor=Acceptance][size=+1]Acceptance[/size][/anchor]

Last edited:
So where there any spaniards in Urugyay during anytime? :p

And why are the natives to evil? :D

And the Habsburgs use inbreeding, that causes low intrigue. :rofl: