• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is quite an alternate pattern of events and alliances forming. Just as clarification for a hapless form-bound not familiar with HOI4 or its settings, was there some option you selected at the start that leads to these non-standard outcomes being more likely to happen? Or is the game typically more prone to going a bit ahistorical when left largely to its own devices?
There is indeed an option called Historical Focuses. Ticked the game is more scripted - more like Hearts of Iron from previous eras. Unticked and there is the chance of more odd things happening, though historical options still seem most likely. However, it does mean over the sixtten

We are at the end of 1940 and the world is … not facing armageddon. At this rate … I will never get to use uranium.

There is only one solution -- if Uruguay cannot save the world from armageddon, it must bring on armageddon itself! ;)

But seriously, it is quite interesting to see how the conflict evolves outside of the context of the usual three-way struggle for dominance between the Axis, the Allies, and the Comintern.

Don't you worry, if you want to, your uranium will definitely be used. When, who and especially how much is totally up to you though ;).

This timeline's Churchill got his Operation Catherine and pushed the Royal Navy into the Baltic. Eve more surprisingly it appears to have worked, that Prussian invasion appears to be doing the job.

Meanwhile Uruguay continues to bumble along in it's own little world of submarines and dreams of uranium. Hopefully something interesting will happen down South America way in the next update or the forms may unbind themselves (I am guessing at that one).

Quite a few new alliances going on here. Makes for some interesting play! I especially like US-Australian alliance.

Since US and Australia made an alliance, I assume you need to nuke both so you can conquer the Emus.
It’s those emus again! :D I suggest the kangaroos should also be given some attention then, just so you can snap-broil both animals in the coat-of-arms.:p

But nuking enough of the US to make it count? Suspect that would end up being a case of unilaterally assured destruction. :eek: Best get the Uruguayan Defence ministry building a network of survival bunkers in the Andes! :oops:

This is entertaining thus far - I really should play more HOI4. I'll have to try playing without the historical focuses sometime - I didn't know that was an option.

There is only one solution -- if Uruguay cannot save the world from armageddon, it must bring on armageddon itself! ;)

But seriously, it is quite interesting to see how the conflict evolves outside of the context of the usual three-way struggle for dominance between the Axis, the Allies, and the Comintern.
Yes. To be honest being a spectator is very interesting.

Don't you worry, if you want to, your uranium will definitely be used. When, who and especially how much is totally up to you though ;).
I hope so.

This timeline's Churchill got his Operation Catherine and pushed the Royal Navy into the Baltic. Eve more surprisingly it appears to have worked, that Prussian invasion appears to be doing the job.

Meanwhile Uruguay continues to bumble along in it's own little world of submarines and dreams of uranium. Hopefully something interesting will happen down South America way in the next update or the forms may unbind themselves (I am guessing at that one).
I guess we shall have to see what the world offers.

Quite a few new alliances going on here. Makes for some interesting play! I especially like US-Australian alliance.
It is interesting.

Since US and Australia made an alliance, I assume you need to nuke both so you can conquer the Emus.
What did the emus ever do to Uruguay? :D

Hmm...I think I am now very afraid of some sort of accident.:D
The only accidents around here will be of the poor gameplay kind ... trust me on that :D

It’s those emus again! :D I suggest the kangaroos should also be given some attention then, just so you can snap-broil both animals in the coat-of-arms.:p

But nuking enough of the US to make it count? Suspect that would end up being a case of unilaterally assured destruction. :eek: Best get the Uruguayan Defence ministry building a network of survival bunkers in the Andes! :oops:
The Andes might be difficult considering they are the wrong side of the continent :D

This is entertaining thus far - I really should play more HOI4. I'll have to try playing without the historical focuses sometime - I didn't know that was an option.
I suspect that, unless I want to do something specific (ie, try to survive as France, etc) I will go no Historical Foci as my default.

This world grows weird. But not a bad position for Uruguay.
I hope so.

And it shall grow weirder still ... but alas I have not had time to write up and edit screenshots. Not had much time the last couple of days. Hopefully tomorrow, but one never knows.

The Andes might be difficult considering they are the wrong side of the continent :D
You have some conquering to do first if you wish to be safe. Presuming you ever seriously considered the Sea of Fire suggestion for the US - which I doubt ;)

You have some conquering to do first if you wish to be safe. Presuming you ever seriously considered the Sea of Fire suggestion for the US - which I doubt ;)

Well someone on here has to try it some time, if only so we can read about whether it's possible or not.

I am merely the peace loving Uruguay :D

Well someone on here has to try it some time, if only so we can read about whether it's possible or not.
In truth developing nukes is not really a challenge, more just a question of research priorities and accepting you are not going to progress in other areas. But the game has proven fun, even if I have done essentially nothing other than select focuses, technologies, and the odd equipment build.

1941-2
I forgot to mention form-bound before 1940 I started a significant research project. This was one.

JshjJFo.jpg

And so into March. Japan has won its war in China now, so there was one war … and now there are three. Seriously form-bound, three. Look.

NjJRksZ.jpg

So we have the one we know about - the Allies against the Axis - oh, I had forgotten to mention Italy’s involvement hadn’t I. I honestly can’t remember when they joined. The Czechs are surely going to be unable to hold off much longer given those casualties wouldn’t you say?

Then the Communists against the Polish alliance - the Red Army will surely be able to take them out without too much trouble. And then in the East - I expect those allies will be called in quick enough. That is far more interesting. And world tension is at … 75%. So it looks like we might get the chance to join in quite soon.

Has to be said no one starts collapsing right away, now it is summer and at least we have researched the next version of submarine.

IeSYWCk.jpg

But look, perhaps something is happening - France is starting to push Germany back. But doesn’t it look like Germany is starting to strangle Czechoslovakia at last too? Mmm, and did I miss something with Yugoslavia?

9dwNkaX.jpg

Well I was right. The Czechs fought fiercely, but succumbed. Romania also. The rest of the Polish alliance though is still there and … the Red Army is hurting form-bound. I mean, in a war of attrition there are more Russians than Poles … but still, surely it makes one happy to see the hapless Poles actually do something for a change?

wSG9a9m.jpg

So into 1942. Let’s see where things are. Mmm, apparently Italy joined the Axis at some point and dissolved their Hungarian alliance. Can’t remember when that happened. Can you form-bound?

MRzMcNA.jpg

QsP43oN.jpg

Well now Germany has secured its western flank, but the Polish alliance looks to slowly being constricted. The casualties continue to mount for all sides … but 2.7 million Czechs. Do you have any idea what those sort of losses can do the demographics of a country? Of course in this setting it doesn’t really matter, but if we were playing the Victorian models …

Mmm, what’s that alert.

YsKbc0u.jpg

I suppose that had to happen - do you think Germany will go for The Netherlands too, even though they are allied with the USA? Let’s see, we can build rockets!

M0bVlRg.jpg

You know, there appears to be some life in this Polish alliance yet. Italy appears to be suffering though.

ADuLaRx.jpg

Well it didn’t last long - umm, Belgium?

9y6uAvl.jpg

Belgium?

1VjjYmC.jpg

BELGIUM!!!!

A3ewY2H.jpg

Let us take a step away from those developments to note a few of our own.

QFeEu0i.jpg

I will never mock Belgium ever again.

XBpsCz1.jpg

Yeah Belgium! And GB too, come to think of it. Thought they were done doing interesting stuff after they were kicked out of the Baltic but apparently not...

Belgium Uber Alles! I take it the dynamic is similar in HOI4 as in 3: if an ally takes terrain from your bordering land, you get the benefit? So that may have been British or French troops doing much of the Belgian Blitzkrieg? Whatever, the drain of the drawn out war with the Czechs clearly took its toll.

Thinking yet of a suitable target for your thermonuclear statement of intent? Is there any way of knowing who else may be researching the same lines and how far they may be along? Or are these merely restricted and form-bound considerations that are essentially irrelevant to the Player’s purpose? :confused::cool: