• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Poopfaust

Colonel
9 Badges
Mar 19, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Is there any downside to upgrading/transforming units, for example, now that I know you can change LARM to MARM (due to HOI 4 brainwashing) that just does not compute with me.

I guess I am asking, what is the downside of Changing LARM to HARM, or say Militia to Inf.., or Eng to Motorized?

I have a feeling I am not wording this question correctly. Any input appreciated.

There isn't much of a downside. You retain all, or most, of the XP, and you get a better unit. It is also cheaper to produce LARM, and then to upgrade to MARM, than it is to produce MARM outright. Needless to say, that's a bit of an exploit. I'm sure you can go even further with that, starting off with Cav, and working your way up to HARM, through LARM & MARM. Or from Mil to Mech, through INF & MOT etc. In your example, it will be cheaper, but it will take longer, to upgrade LARM to MARM, and then upgrade MARM to HARM. It's a fun mechanic that can be overused & abused in favour of the player. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it, just use it with moderation, where it makes sense. It's up to you, really.

The only downside I can see is time. It takes time to upgrade a unit, and during that time, your unit cannot fight (and should not be left close to the front, unless most of the Division isn't upgrading). If you're in a situation where you need every unit you can get, upgrading lots of units isn't recommended.

• 1Like
Reactions: