[UPDATED 12/08/21] Monetizing from Youtube videos containing Paradox Interactive material!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And you had no 3rd party music or sound involved in any way? Haven't heard this happening to anyone else. What exactly did you Stream?

And you had no 3rd party music or sound involved in any way? Haven't heard this happening to anyone else. What exactly did you Stream?

No, the only audio is my voice and game SFX+music with no background music at all. The music I use is from EU3, EU4, EU:Rome and CK2. The muted section contained only CK2 music.

For completeness, here is my Songs.txt file

View attachment songs.txt

And the VoD in question.

http://www.twitch.tv/ddrjake/v/3800723

Twitch do not inform you what has caused the muting, only that it has happened. The appeals process is slow and still ongoing. From listening to the VoD though, it sounds like the music is cut as "crusaders" from CK2 begins playing.

Last edited:
HI, I have 2 questions to your letter. I want to "let's play" Cities Skylines when it appears on 03/10/15.

1. In the Letter you wrote "Copyright © 2013". But I think now it is 2015 right?
2. You Say the Copyright notice have to display in my material. So I have to make closing credits in my Video or is it ok if the notice is "only" in the video description below the video?

HI, I have 2 questions to your letter. I want to "let's play" Cities Skylines when it appears on 03/10/15.

1. In the Letter you wrote "Copyright © 2013". But I think now it is 2015 right?
2. You Say the Copyright notice have to display in my material. So I have to make closing credits in my Video or is it ok if the notice is "only" in the video description below the video?

I'll check with legal if we need to update that year. Cheers for highlighting that for me.
It's enough to put it in the video description

Hi Paradox Interactive.

First of all i want to thank you for your great games! I played Europa universalis and Crusader Kings 2 several times and love them!
Now i want to ask you what conditions i have to fullfill if i want to make Let's plays of your great games?

I already read that you want that let's players make clear, that all Stuff showed is property of Paradox interactive. Is there something more i would have to fullfill to make let's plays without getting in trouble? =)

Faithfully yours,

Moerp aka Mister Moerp

Dear Bjorn,

I'd like to take the opportunity to inform you that YouTube is set up to retrieve distribution policies from the developer or publisher's official website. While the letter you provide is a tremendous help, all issues concerning copyrights would be solved if paradox provided a public disclaimer stating you grant the user the rights to distribute (and eventually monetize) footage of your game, including all audio and video assets, to which you own all intellectual property rights. If you have a small paragraph, publicly visible (for instance, in a stickied thread on the official forums), we can link that in the description and avoid fraudulent copyright claims altogether.

Thank you in advance for trying to make life easier on us =)

Dear Bjorn,

I'd like to take the opportunity to inform you that YouTube is set up to retrieve distribution policies from the developer or publisher's official website. While the letter you provide is a tremendous help, all issues concerning copyrights would be solved if paradox provided a public disclaimer stating you grant the user the rights to distribute (and eventually monetize) footage of your game, including all audio and video assets, to which you own all intellectual property rights. If you have a small paragraph, publicly visible (for instance, in a stickied thread on the official forums), we can link that in the description and avoid fraudulent copyright claims altogether.

Does this thread not serve that function? it is linked from the sticky thread http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...cements-Policy-Notices-and-other-useful-links (Third one down)

Hi Paradox Interactive.

First of all i want to thank you for your great games! I played Europa universalis and Crusader Kings 2 several times and love them!
Now i want to ask you what conditions i have to fullfill if i want to make Let's plays of your great games?

I already read that you want that let's players make clear, that all Stuff showed is property of Paradox interactive. Is there something more i would have to fullfill to make let's plays without getting in trouble? =)

Faithfully yours,

Moerp aka Mister Moerp

A link to our web page in your Description is nice but not strictly required. Otherwise enjoy the game and making the video.

Hi Paradox Interactive,

thank you for the new cities part. He is my first part. I would like to share my experiences in the form of a lets plays on Youtube.
I have read that this is allowed. Is this sufficient in the video description '' Copyright © 2015 Paradox Interactive AB. www.paradoxplaza.com ''.
Can I monetize the videos?

Sry for my bad englich:)

Thanks

Does this thread not serve that function? it is linked from the sticky thread http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...cements-Policy-Notices-and-other-useful-links (Third one down)

It should serve that purpose. Plus, the letter you kindly made available to us is SIGNED, which is one thing YouTube demands. However, from all the (rather extensive) research I've made, YouTube seems to have some sort of algorithm that looks for keywords within the link provided in the video's description automatically, before it forces copyright claims. However, the letter is on a .pdf document, which is not readable by their computers. This is based on a lot of speculation, since YT doesn't actually provide this sort of information, so we have to rely on the expertise of more experienced and well-connected content creators to figure this sort of stuff out. All in all, it would be safer to have the statements you have in that letter quoted in the thread itself.
Again, the letter should be more than enough, but if you're willing to go that extra mile for our safety, it would be awesome. For example, Blizzard has this: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/videopolicy.html
They didn't go as far as you guys did, but, since the actual text is directly available on their website, people don't get copyright claims (which are usually fraudulent anyway).
All of this to make it clear to your company that YouTube's current policy isn't aimed at protecting copyright owners (in this case, Paradox), but rather to protect itself, leaving content creators to burn in the process, and the actual owners of the rights to miss out on money that other random facade companies around the world get for themselves when they claim something they don't have the rights to.

Thank you very much for paying such close attention to this aspect of the community. I've just had a very bad experience with Gearbox and it's a great relief to communicate with someone who actually understands the importance of video commentary as a source of publicity. It's also pretty fun to do, too!

It should serve that purpose. Plus, the letter you kindly made available to us is SIGNED, which is one thing YouTube demands. However, from all the (rather extensive) research I've made, YouTube seems to have some sort of algorithm that looks for keywords within the link provided in the video's description automatically, before it forces copyright claims. However, the letter is on a .pdf document, which is not readable by their computers. This is based on a lot of speculation, since YT doesn't actually provide this sort of information, so we have to rely on the expertise of more experienced and well-connected content creators to figure this sort of stuff out. All in all, it would be safer to have the statements you have in that letter quoted in the thread itself.
Again, the letter should be more than enough, but if you're willing to go that extra mile for our safety, it would be awesome. For example, Blizzard has this: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/videopolicy.html
They didn't go as far as you guys did, but, since the actual text is directly available on their website, people don't get copyright claims (which are usually fraudulent anyway).
All of this to make it clear to your company that YouTube's current policy isn't aimed at protecting copyright owners (in this case, Paradox), but rather to protect itself, leaving content creators to burn in the process, and the actual owners of the rights to miss out on money that other random facade companies around the world get for themselves when they claim something they don't have the rights to.

Thank you very much for paying such close attention to this aspect of the community. I've just had a very bad experience with Gearbox and it's a great relief to communicate with someone who actually understands the importance of video commentary as a source of publicity. It's also pretty fun to do, too!

Glad you are having a good time with the videos, I personally am a big fan of LPs and so do what I can to help support them, and I know other members of the community team are as well. We can look at what you suggest, but I will note that I have not heard of anyone getting a Strike against them as a result of one of our games, and if you do get a strike it is my understanding that attaching that letter to it would have more impact than a link. But it cannot hurt to have both.

The added protection is always very much appreciated, thank you for considering it. There may not be strikes, but there can be claims which result in stolen ad revenue, even though the video remains available. I'm sure there are bigger channels who take advantage of every bit of help the developers offer regarding this issue. Cheers!

Dear Bjorn,

We already submitted our consent to Youtube many times, but people were still taken down. That's why we made this.

OP updated with a fresh version of the letter today

Reactions:
While it is nice, they have much to gain from this as well, considering what an effective source for advertising these let's play videos can be.
I can testify that watching EU3 videos on youtube (shenryyr2 specifically) is the whole reason I got into the Paradox games. Allowing use in Youtube videos and other media is a big advantage to Paradox not just because it makes the fanbase happy, but because it's literally free advertising.

Is that better?