[UPDATED 12/08/21] Monetizing from Youtube videos containing Paradox Interactive material!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can anyone explain me what the fuss is about? And what exactly monetizing youtube videos means?

Monetizing on videos is when people are making money by uploading videos to Youtube. Yes, Youtube put ads before videos and pay people, if their videos get lots of views. Some people are even making a living out of playing games on Youtube.

Some game publishers mean these money belongs to them, since images and sounds from games is their trademark and intellectual property. Sometimes game publishers get videos that are criticizing games taken down from Youtube and so on.

Paradox is different. They are saying that people are free to use the games in let's play videos, tutorials or video reviews. They can even make money from these videos. It is free advertising after all, but not all companies understands this.

This action is solid.

I just saw this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35P2-kVuHKI

In what way could this affect paradox let's players? Will this change of policy of youtube actually hinder their videos or will your written consent help them break this new barrier?

and as always ,you guys at PDS are awesome for supporting your fans!

I hope it won't affect our let's players. If it does somehow, let us know and we will do our best to help you out. We agree with Francis completely.

We tried telling Youtube that we don't want anything being taken off Youtube because it contains our stuff. But it didn't work out well as it didn't really help. That is why we made this document in the first place. If the document doesn't help you, just tell us, and we will update it to fit any circumstances we have not yet thought of (see the sound thing a while back for example).

And thanks for all the love guys. It really brightens up ones Monday morning :)

You're great. We can be a grumpy community, maybe because we've gotten used to a high degree of coolness coming from you.

So bear in mind that, even when people say bad things, even when we do, we still think you're one of the coolest developers around. Even PennyArcade recognises your dedication and interest for new things.

Is it Sweden, or it is just nice people?

What do you mean by Penny Arcade recognizing? Link please :) (I give you permission to use that external link if it is praising us ;))

While I'm not a Let's Player myself; a lot of the people I subscribe to on youtube are and these latest changes have gotten me worried about how things will turn out for them. But then there are companies that have stated that they allow Let's Players to use their content and that gives me some hope for the future.

Thank you Paradox :)

Last edited:
I hope it won't affect our let's players.
Sadly Bjorn it will. :( From what I know all but 1 paradox LPer has been placed in the "Affiliate" group. In less then 24 hours youtubes rolling out a patch that is going to hurt pretty much all of us (Me included)

If it does somehow, let us know and we will do our best to help you out.)

There really is not much you can do unless you guys feel like starting your own youtube network. I wouldent worry about it though. The changes will slow us down but we will adapt over time hopefully.

I really do not accept youtube even put the link of the post .
Hello, The Let 's plays of Pisuke :
We were unable to confirm the rights of commercial use of all elements of your video.
We can consider reviewing your videos if you verify that you are authorized to commercially use all elements of your content . This includes videos, images , music, video game sequences and other visual or audio element . Learn more
Note that YouTube reserves the right to make the final decision to approve the participation of a video into the program earning . Additionally , you may disable this program for partners who repeatedly submit videos that do not meet the requirements. All videos must comply with the Terms of Service and Community Guidelines and should be removed from the site if you do not meet these standards.
Includes the following additional information :
• "Crusader Kings II | Cap Dynasty Cousland 16 | Let's Play in Spanish "
• " DAILY PROGRAMMING VIDEOS | 06/01/14 "
Remember that time review the videos depends on several factors such as video performance . It is possible that we can not process all the videos, but we always consider these factors to adjust our priorities.
Thank you,
The YouTube Team

I really do not accept youtube even put the link of the post .
Hello, The Let 's plays of Pisuke :
We were unable to confirm the rights of commercial use of all elements of your video.
We can consider reviewing your videos if you verify that you are authorized to commercially use all elements of your content . This includes videos, images , music, video game sequences and other visual or audio element . Learn more
Note that YouTube reserves the right to make the final decision to approve the participation of a video into the program earning . Additionally , you may disable this program for partners who repeatedly submit videos that do not meet the requirements. All videos must comply with the Terms of Service and Community Guidelines and should be removed from the site if you do not meet these standards.
Includes the following additional information :
• "Crusader Kings II | Cap Dynasty Cousland 16 | Let's Play in Spanish "
• " DAILY PROGRAMMING VIDEOS | 06/01/14 "
Remember that time review the videos depends on several factors such as video performance . It is possible that we can not process all the videos, but we always consider these factors to adjust our priorities.
Thank you,
The YouTube Team

Did you send them the document from the first post?

I kept waiting for weeks, with no option to send anything. even putting in the description of the video "Credits:
Publisher: Copyright © 2013 Paradox Interactive AB. www.paradoxplaza.com
Permission: Legal department published a letter Granting permissions monetization.
Source: " http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ideos-containing-Paradox-Interactive-material "

Let me help you out here. I used to have to do this a fair bit. First when you monetize it will be put "Under review" then after a period of 12 hours to a week it will change to a white/red dollar sign and if you hover your cursor over it. It will say that "You need proof of commercial use to monetize. Click here to provide it. You have (14) days remaining." 14 slowly counts down until you provide it. After which point you can no longer monetize. When you click on it you will be brought to a form where you simply fill out your name and provide the description of why you own the content. There is a thing for attaching stuff at the bottom of the form. For the description I just copy paste in the following

Attached is the documentation provided by the rights holder (In this case the publisher of the game) Paradox Interactive has provided blanket rights use for the creation of and monetization of videos on Youtube so long as it bears the following "Copyright © 2013 Paradox Interactive AB. www.paradoxplaza.com" Which can be found in the description of the video.

I have had to do over a hundred videos this way. No real issues so far as they always accept it. Hope that helps.

Thanks for sharing your experience Kailvin, hopefully it will help any of those still having difficulty.
I am a fan of LPs and want to make sure you guys get the support you need.

Thanks for your time! I'll try to do it as you say, as you can see on the picture icon is so since last month.

Sintiacutetulo-3.jpg

Kinda theoretical question but it's quite interesting considering your approach to YouTube monetizing - what if someone would like to monetize AAR posted on this forum? According to the rules, everything we write here is a subject to copyright of Paradox. I wonder whether Paradox would be willing to transfer the copyright back to the writer.