[UPDATED 12/08/21] Monetizing from Youtube videos containing Paradox Interactive material!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Our old policy and the PDF we used to use is no longer necessary.

If you ever get into problem with YouTube regarding copyright infringements on Paradox Interactive content, please refer to this webpage

Please note that this change in documentation should have no impact whatsoever on the content you can create, upload or consume on YouTube and other services like it.

Let me know if this create any problems for you.

Best Regards
Björn

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Hello Bjorn,

Here is an email reply I received today from an unnamed support person at YT after providing them the aforementioned PDF. Apparently the PDF does not mention the audio content, and therefore disqualifies the video (at least for now) I have asked them not only their name but also what video they are referring to. All they have said so far is it is a paradox game and that the agreement PDF was provided.

Would a modified agreement mentioning audio be possible?

Thanks in advance

-Shen

Jeez...

We'll update the letter.

Reactions:
As long as you mention that it's our stuff you are showing we are fine with it :)

How you do it we leave to your own judgment. We do not require you to put in copyright or trademark notifications.

Thankyou :)

any limit on snippet size?

Don't think so. We don't monetize from that stuff ourselves, so you are not stealing revenue from us. We are happy the more people that see it :) But perhaps you should avoid taking the entire things because, you know... Then you could just link to our stuff directly :) We would appreciate if you did link to us anyway, making sure people know where they can find more of the stuff.

Paradox, you truly are a king worthy to rule over an emperor of Rome, may your days be ever glorious, may no crusade take your lands, and may you always be known as the king of kings!

Well thank you good sire :)

I just saw this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35P2-kVuHKI

In what way could this affect paradox let's players? Will this change of policy of youtube actually hinder their videos or will your written consent help them break this new barrier?

and as always ,you guys at PDS are awesome for supporting your fans!

I hope it won't affect our let's players. If it does somehow, let us know and we will do our best to help you out. We agree with Francis completely.

We tried telling Youtube that we don't want anything being taken off Youtube because it contains our stuff. But it didn't work out well as it didn't really help. That is why we made this document in the first place. If the document doesn't help you, just tell us, and we will update it to fit any circumstances we have not yet thought of (see the sound thing a while back for example).

And thanks for all the love guys. It really brightens up ones Monday morning :)

You're great. We can be a grumpy community, maybe because we've gotten used to a high degree of coolness coming from you.

So bear in mind that, even when people say bad things, even when we do, we still think you're one of the coolest developers around. Even PennyArcade recognises your dedication and interest for new things.

Is it Sweden, or it is just nice people?

What do you mean by Penny Arcade recognizing? Link please :) (I give you permission to use that external link if it is praising us ;))

I really do not accept youtube even put the link of the post .
Hello, The Let 's plays of Pisuke :
We were unable to confirm the rights of commercial use of all elements of your video.
We can consider reviewing your videos if you verify that you are authorized to commercially use all elements of your content . This includes videos, images , music, video game sequences and other visual or audio element . Learn more
Note that YouTube reserves the right to make the final decision to approve the participation of a video into the program earning . Additionally , you may disable this program for partners who repeatedly submit videos that do not meet the requirements. All videos must comply with the Terms of Service and Community Guidelines and should be removed from the site if you do not meet these standards.
Includes the following additional information :
• "Crusader Kings II | Cap Dynasty Cousland 16 | Let's Play in Spanish "
• " DAILY PROGRAMMING VIDEOS | 06/01/14 "
Remember that time review the videos depends on several factors such as video performance . It is possible that we can not process all the videos, but we always consider these factors to adjust our priorities.
Thank you,
The YouTube Team

Did you send them the document from the first post?

Thanks for sharing your experience Kailvin, hopefully it will help any of those still having difficulty.
I am a fan of LPs and want to make sure you guys get the support you need.

Kinda theoretical question but it's quite interesting considering your approach to YouTube monetizing - what if someone would like to monetize AAR posted on this forum? According to the rules, everything we write here is a subject to copyright of Paradox. I wonder whether Paradox would be willing to transfer the copyright back to the writer.
We have answered this one a few times, basically find a publisher and then contact us, I do not think it will be an issue.

We have answered this one a few times, basically find a publisher and then contact us, I do not think it will be an issue.

This. We have nothing against material promoting our games being seen by as many as possible (and if you can make money from it while doing it, good for you :)). The reason for the copyright rule has other purposes than trying to keep ownership/making money directly from people's AAR's.

I use music from several Paradox games in my EU4 LPs and streams, do we have permission to use all of them?

Falalalan in particular seems to trigger claim after claim after claim, I think I've had upwards of 20 claims on this track alone. I've removed it from my playlist until I can be assured that we even have the right to use the classical music of EU2. I mean, even after submitting a link to this topic and having the claims dropped, the same company launches claims on the same music on the same videos again.

Does this permission extend to Paradox published games such as Fort Zombie?

Last edited:
This is not a thread to request new content. Please submit such requests in appropriate channels, thank you!

And as stated: This permit only applies to content we own. The music from EU2 was licensed and not owned by us so it's not covered by this document. Sorry!

This is amazing :) Does this mean that anyone can monetize videos of Paradox Content without being partnered?

Yes! We would like to add something however. You need to add something yourself. Just uploading our soundtrack straight up is not really okay, as that is just taking our work and trying to earn money from it. But as long as you contribute with something yourself to whatever you upload, feel free to use our stuff in it.

Hey guys!
nice work, but I would like to know if livestreaming this game on sites like twitch is possible too?
I mean technically it is some form of advertising for the game as well.

Go nuts :) The only reason Youtube is specified in here is because they have a tendency to remove videos without a written consent. Never really heard about anyone having those issues on Twitch, but let us know if you do.

Good luck!

No one is going to stop you from publishing a book you have written yourself.