UPDATED 14/06/18 - *** Rules for User Made Mods and Edits of PDS games ***

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you for your quick reply. Yes the mod would be free for everyone and all of the content and updates would be for free. The patreon would only be an option for people who would like to support me personally. Just for some clarification, I saw that a lot of great mods out there (Kaiserreich and Modern Day) don't have patreon pages and therefore thought that it might be illegal, but this is great news.

Thank you very much,

Nyiix
I think some of the reason why large mods often have no Patreon is that it can be quite difficult to work out a way to distribute the money without someone being upset that they're getting too small a share.
So unless a mod team has some expenses that are clearly shared (E.G., hosting, events, and such), then it is not necessarily worth the risk of fracturing the team.
It's a lot simpler with a small team or a single-person team to work out something all contributors will be happy with.

I think some of the reason why large mods often have no Patreon is that it can be quite difficult to work out a way to distribute the money without someone being upset that they're getting too small a share.
So unless a mod team has some expenses that are clearly shared (E.G., hosting, events, and such), then it is not necessarily worth the risk of fracturing the team.
It's a lot simpler with a small team or a single-person team to work out something all contributors will be happy with.

Thank you very much for your reply and explanation,
Best wishes to you

Thank you very much for your reply and explanation,
Best wishes to you

It was 'illegal' as you say before the 'sneaky edit' of the opening post in june.
So the change is relatively new and likely not everyone knows it yet.

The issues it can cause inside a modding team and/or if good parts of a mod
are more or less directly copied of another are sure other potential for conflict,
which can make it appear to be wise to waive potential donations.

Last edited:
That brings me to a point @TinyWiking,

what about modders who either offer their service or a potential type of mod and then don't deliver ?
Pesky question that, i admit. :p

Bad luck i suppose for the folks who donated, but wouldn't asking for donations for a mod not done
yet be also against rule 8 ?

That brings me to a point @TinyWiking,

what about modders who either offer their service or a potential type of mod and then don't deliver ?

Bad luck i suppose for the folks who donated, but wouldn't asking for donations for a mod not done
yet be also against rule 8 ?
Honestly, if people give money for a mod not yet released, i think i have some land in some swamp i can sell to them... :p

More seriously, i doubt it will be an issue : people will give on Patreon to thank and support, hence after teh release of the mod. And the modders should make it clear that, they don't need to pay, but also that mods can't give teh same quality and polish that game devs can.

Honestly, if people give money for a mod not yet released, i think i have some land in some swamp i can sell to them... :p
There are so many rainbow people out there too easy to fool.., but my inner white knight wants to save them...
paladin.gif

More seriously, i doubt it will be an issue : people will give on Patreon to thank and support, hence after teh release of the mod. And the modders should make it clear that, they don't need to pay, but also that mods can't give teh same quality and polish that game devs can.

Well, but what if the mod doesn't get delivered at all, no matter the potential quality and what if this happen several times ?
There are a few people who do that on purpose you know, making money on the back of
Trusting.png
folks...

Just wonder if someone thought of that, as Nyiix mentioned it in his earlier post
....so people could help support the creation process....
and that part wasn't explicitly mentioned in the responses and the rules don't appear clear to me in that regard
nor Paradox' approach to that potential situation.

That would not be allowed as they are then selling their mod. As per the policy:

"Any use of the mod tools, and creation and publication of mods, is for strictly non-commercial purposes only, and you may not require any fees but may receive voluntary donations for your creation, publication and/or use of mods"

That would not be allowed as they are then selling their mod. As per the policy:

"Any use of the mod tools, and creation and publication of mods, is for strictly non-commercial purposes only, and you may not require any fees but may receive voluntary donations for your creation, publication and/or use of mods"

Err...i don't know what you quote there, as it's not in the opening post.
Additionaly it irritates me as it explicitely says "...but may receive voluntary donations for your creation..." , which would imply to me donations
for the creation of a mod would be allowed, obviously before the mod exists.

I believe we have a misunderstanding of sorts.
Maybe i just miss somethin how Patreon works, but i see no relevant difference to Kickstarter regarding the money given.
Anyway, back to the point.

What if the 'creation of a mod' won't end in it's publication, but the modder vanishes with the money (aka voluntary donations) given.
A nasty situation if some 'modders' would do that on purpose to make some monies.
Similar to problems with kickstarter projects for games where it's not clear if it was a fake offer from the beginning or the modder indeed just
overwhelmed by the work required.

Nevermind if that's not clear enough or stressing you out.
I don't intend to be annoying.:D
Sorry if that was the case.

I was just curious based on Nyiix initial post (#1018).
No need to respond if that's getting complicated or on your nerves and i will stop in return posting about it. :cool:

Is this okay ?
If you like what I do and would like to support my content now you can do so on my Patreon! You'll get sneak peaks on my process and exclusive rewards!
Found that on a relatively recent mod on the Workshop.
Borderline at least, so to speak...:rolleyes:

PS: Should i rather ask these things via Conversation ?

Last edited:
Hm that is a bit of a borderline case indeed as it all depends on what the exclusive reward is. Can you PM me name of the mod? If the reward is "get your face in the mod" then that's fine, but if patreons get a different version then that would effectively be them selling a "better" mod for those who donate.

Hm that is a bit of a borderline case indeed as it all depends on what the exclusive reward is. Can you PM me name of the mod? If the reward is "get your face in the mod" then that's fine, but if patreons get a different version then that would effectively be them selling a "better" mod for those who donate.
If the reward is a "private" Q&A with developpers ?

As a bystander who has no say in the matter at all, I'd say a private Q&A with the developpers is entirely unrelated to the actual mod, so I'd be surprised if this was seen as problematic.
Agreed, that's fine. The issue we have is as follows:

Person A doesn't support via Patreon > gets version X of the mod
Person B does support via Patreon > gets version Z of the mod

In this case the mod is effectively being sold as those who contribute gets more "advanced" mod.

Agreed, that's fine. The issue we have is as follows:

Person A doesn't support via Patreon > gets version X of the mod
Person B does support via Patreon > gets version Z of the mod

In this case the mod is effectively being sold as those who contribute gets more "advanced" mod.
Thanks for the reply, more or less how we had it figured.

@Castellon
Would it be possible to get confirmation that the bloodlines system can be used by mods without the DLC requirement so long as the flavour (events, decisions, art etc) from the DLC are not included in the mod and don't have their DLC requirement removed?
Like if we create a Blood of Talos bloodline in Elder Kings that uses entirely custom art and events.

Would it be possible to get confirmation that the bloodlines system can be used by mods without the DLC requirement so long as the flavour (events, decisions, art etc) from the DLC are not included in the mod and don't have their DLC requirement removed?
Like if we create a Blood of Talos bloodline in Elder Kings that uses entirely custom art and events.
Well confirmation is always nice but I don't see why they would be any different from societies or offmap powers. If paradox didn't want it usable without the DLC they would have locked it in the hardcode to require the DLC.

@Castellon
Well confirmation is always nice but I don't see why they would be any different from societies or offmap powers. If paradox didn't want it usable without the DLC they would have locked it in the hardcode to require the DLC.
^That, mods are free to use the bloodline system as long as they are making new ones with their own assets same as with societies and offmap powers, your Blood of Talos for example would be perfectly fine to make :)

A couple of questions:

- I've noticed that HF's reformation Features' pictures are cropped versions of various event pictures. Is it allowed to create new ones using the same approach and distribute them as part of a public mod (to be linked in the CK2 mod subforum down the line), provided you don't use DLC-locked pictures, or would that be a Rule 7 violation despite a CK2 mod not really working with another game?

- If the above approach is allowed, is there some good reference or rule to use to determine whether a certain picture is DLC-locked (and thus off-limits) or not, given that a lot of event pictures (possibly even all of them) can be found in the main event_pictures directory instead of only being in the relevant DLC's .zip file's event_pictures directory? Quite a few event pictures don't have a handy suffix/prefix to check (e.g. expansionist.dds was added with 2.8/JD, but the filename does not indicate that it is related to JD, and for a more generic event picture (e.g. fancy_feast.dds, which was added with 3.0/HF) it is rather hard to tell if it is related to a certain DLC or not just by looking at the picture), and even some prefixed/suffixed ones have been used in vanilla events for a different DLC without a check for the DLC they appear to be part of (I believe vikings_arriving_oldgods.dds is used in CM's "Start of the Viking Age" event, for example), which makes it hard to know for sure if those actually are DLC-locked to tOG or not.

A couple of questions:

- I've noticed that HF's reformation Features' pictures are cropped versions of various event pictures. Is it allowed to create new ones using the same approach and distribute them as part of a public mod (to be linked in the CK2 mod subforum down the line), provided you don't use DLC-locked pictures, or would that be a Rule 7 violation despite a CK2 mod not really working with another game?

- If the above approach is allowed, is there some good reference or rule to use to determine whether a certain picture is DLC-locked (and thus off-limits) or not, given that a lot of event pictures (possibly even all of them) can be found in the main event_pictures directory instead of only being in the relevant DLC's .zip file's event_pictures directory? Quite a few event pictures don't have a handy suffix/prefix to check (e.g. expansionist.dds was added with 2.8/JD, but the filename does not indicate that it is related to JD, and for a more generic event picture (e.g. fancy_feast.dds, which was added with 3.0/HF) it is rather hard to tell if it is related to a certain DLC or not just by looking at the picture), and even some prefixed/suffixed ones have been used in vanilla events for a different DLC without a check for the DLC they appear to be part of (I believe vikings_arriving_oldgods.dds is used in CM's "Start of the Viking Age" event, for example), which makes it hard to know for sure if those actually are DLC-locked to tOG or not.

If it is distributed with the base game files, it should be useable.