UPDATED 14/06/18 - *** Rules for User Made Mods and Edits of PDS games ***

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi I already mentioned above that this is not the place for a debate about international copyright law, this is a thread discussing the rules of posting/discussing/marketing or mentioning mods on this forum.

On your other points, Java and C++ definitely come with licenses.
English Language would be considered Public Domain.

But that is offtopic for this thread as well.

Is it okay to use flags from CK2 in a EU4 mod, then? For example, if I include a copy of c_skane.tga as SKA.tga, how would that fare? I assume it's not something that's authorized, since it's basically taking assets from a game and releasing them in a mod, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

And if not, does the rules really prevent me from using this instead, because of the CC license? If so, how am I supposed to do? Just make up a fictional flag?

Last edited:
For the CK2 flags, Kallocain would have to OK that, you can PM her. If she says yes, be sure to put it in the first post of a thread you start for the mod, that you obtained permission to use them.
That will make sure others know to do so, and avoid any issue with forum staff getting the wrong idea.
For the Wiki image, you cannot include a license so that is up to you. Not sure how they determine if the original poster of the image has the right to give the pic away (Place it under that lic) in the first place.
Chances are that if it is on Wiki then you can find a PD version somewhere without the lic, or recruit a graphics guy and make your own, lots of talent on the forums waiting to show their skills.

Well if you can make it yourself that is always the best idea, both from a creative standpoint, a pride of workmanship standpoint and a rights stand point.

Reactions:
I've created a mod which brings all the EU3 soundtracks into EU4 directly, I'm just wondering if this is considered illegal by Paradox (Of course it is in real life, just assuming no-one takes it too seriously here as it's meant to enhance immersion). If so I'll remove it immediately, just something I forgot to think of before-hand and want to be sure on now.

I have a question about copyright here. I got a PM from StrategyInformer :

just wanted to let you know that I've mirrored NBRT+EU on Strategy Informer, in our Europa Universalis IV mod database. If you want to upload future versions you can do that by creating a free account and using our uploading tools, but let me know if you do so I can add this mod to your account so you can edit it or anything like that.

If you don't want it on Strategy Informer let me know and I'll take it down, but hopefully you'll be happy to see it on there! You can view the download page here - http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/e...mod/50791.html

It would be great if you added a mirror link to it on your thread if you like

From what i get so far , is this now allowed or not ?

Problems for me are this from the new EUIV Mod copyright:

9) You may not solicit directly or indirectly donation in any form.
10) The Mod should be exclusive to the members of this forum and or Steam workshop.

Ok, its not a donation i get, but the side is commerical and so gain provit with user made content.
Beside that its not a nice move to put up a mirror and ask later for permission :angry:

I have a question about copyright here. I got a PM from StrategyInformer :

From what i get so far , is this now allowed or not ?

Problems for me are this from the new EUIV Mod copyright:

9) You may not solicit directly or indirectly donation in any form.
10) The Mod should be exclusive to the members of this forum and or Steam workshop.

Ok, its not a donation i get, but the side is commerical and so gain provit with user made content.
Beside that its not a nice move to put up a mirror and ask later for permission :angry:

Posting links to external sites like that has always been against the rules.
And yes, you could choose to list your mods DL link with them and not here or you can list it here and not there.

Reactions:
I've created a mod which brings all the EU3 soundtracks into EU4 directly, I'm just wondering if this is considered illegal by Paradox (Of course it is in real life, just assuming no-one takes it too seriously here as it's meant to enhance immersion). If so I'll remove it immediately, just something I forgot to think of before-hand and want to be sure on now.

As mentioned above, if you want to include PDS IP from a different game, you would need to get approval from Kallocain, you can PM her. If you do get it be sure to state that you did get permission, in the first post of any thread made about the Mod here.

Reactions:
As mentioned above, if you want to include PDS IP from a different game, you would need to get approval from Kallocain, you can PM her. If you do get it be sure to state that you did get permission, in the first post of any thread made about the Mod here.

Thanks.

I didn't see my specific question earlier on, my apologies.

Could you elaborate further on this point or link to the post where you did?

Read post 11 where the question was asked, then my response in Post 14 and follow ups in 16-17

Reactions:
Concerning number 4: what about programs such as my title generator? It's not actually a mod itself, but rather creates one.

If your program is designed to work with our games (And if it is not you cannot market it here), and you want to market, discuss or list it here then you cannot claim a lic.
You can say, not to be used without permission from author, but that is also already covered in the rules.

Reactions:
1) The mod may not have an external public forum, they can have one for their internal development use but not disclosed to the general membership here, nor allowing them to join.
2) Mod files should be hosted on a file share site designed for use by the public and or Steam Workshop.

Just would like some clarification in regards to the site ModDB and the 3 rules above, which together can cause modders lots of headaches regarding where to host their files. According to that site PI has an account there that updates the site for all of their games and includes your twitter feed. Is that account actually used by Paradox marketing or did some fan create it? The reason I'm asking, is because ModDB allows modders to create pages there for their mods and attach those pages to the game itself (so you can browse games and see what mods are available), and the mod pages can include (if the modder sets it up) a forum, and the comments sections can fulfill the same function rule #1 prohibits. Based on the discussion above, wouldn't using ModDB as a host also violate rule #10 since anyone looking for EU4 mods could just go to the EU4 page and look at the mods list rather than be forced to come here and get a link?

If Paradox actually has an account there, then at first glance it appears that the rules above would prohibit anyone from using ModDB to host their mod even though Paradox appears to use the site for marketing (note, you can opt to not use ModDB's servers and instead point the download back here and then to another location in your mod thread). If you guys do own that ModDB account, then shouldn't you allow modders to use the site as well and amend the rules to allow it? Reading the rules above it sounds as though ModDB wouldn't be allowed. If that account isn't controlled by Paradox but some fan instead, then that will pretty much answer all my questions and concerns.

Another question about #10. Most file hosts allow people to browse what's on them. Gamefront is one example. Because of that, such hosts would violate rule #10, right?

Reactions:
I don't know that I would consider Gamefront a general file hosting site.

As for ModDb, I have never heard of it, which does not mean someone in marketing does not run the account there, I would doubt it but it is possible.
I can look into that for you.

Reactions:
Thanks for the reply.

As far as ModDB goes, I was asking about it only because it appeared as though you guys had an account on it. A lot of developers like Valve and Creative Assembly have accounts there for advertising reasons (support the mod community and get more exposure for your games, as well as use it for news releases), and there is a PI account that's updated for your games, PI's twitter feed is posted there and updated, and your contact information leads to this forum and to a paradox email address plus contact info for people who want press releases. If that account doesn't belong to marketing, then that would obviously make the site be a no-go due to the rules above. However, if it is a real Paradox account then perhaps it would make sense to allow modders to use it to host their files despite the violation of (I think) rule #10 and #1, given that marketing leverages it as well? Assuming it really is marketing's account, of course.

Could be a PI account and not a PDS account, Different rules for games Published for other studios. As I mentioned I will try and find out who runs the account.

EDIT: Just took a look at your link, If we maintain that, it is horribly out of date.

Reactions: