• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice AAR so far. i've never played Sapmi as far as I remember. I'm learning with you.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Pretty good.
Thanks! And thanks for the comment :)

That is an impressive rock.

He seems now both relaxed and ready to go about the business of the future
It has to be my favorite sieidi in the world personally, I spent about 5 minutes just marveling at the absolute grandeur of the thing before actually putting the image in. The actual stone is somewhere in northern Finland, so not actually on the Lulejohka as is in the AAR. But don't worry, we'll be getting enough contact with northern Finland in Chap. 4 ;)

Nice AAR so far. i've never played Sapmi as far as I remember. I'm learning with you.

Wonderful! I'm so happy that people are learning the hidden beauty of my homeland :)

A new army, a council, a spymaster and the satisfying solution to his spiritual problems
Things are looking good for Gonagas here
Let's hope the good times conti.........who am I kidding? I want bad. I want war and suffering. That's why I play CK2 heh!
Excellent chapter :)

I love that huge rock too

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 4

The Gonagas had been eagerly awaiting the return of Chancellor Viggu for several months. He had left the Gonagasa Siida in August of 936 to venture beyond the frontiers of Horagalleana, unto the surrounding Riika's (Sámi Realms, such as Horagalleana) and some Norse tribes to the near south. This was all to illustrate a somewhat comprehensive image of the geopolitical entities surrounding Horagalleana. It was only in march of 937, 7 months later, that the chancellor finally entered Áivvit's Goahti once again. Well, more aptly put he exploded into the Goahti out of excitement, scaring the still asleep Áivvit half to death. After coming to his senses, Áivvit called the council to the Council-Lavvu to hear the conclusions of Viggu and what to make of them.

1596647996078.png

A Sámi lavvu
The entire residing council was assembled, huddled around a table made up of loosely strapped-together logs. Thanks to the hastily made fireplace near the entrance, the shadows of the following 5 individuals flickered and danced against the walls of the Lavvu:
Áivvit I of Čoarvi-Sadji, the Gonagas of Horagalleana
Dávgon of Gájka, the Steward
Viggu, the Chancellor
Násti, the Dronnet and High Noaidi
and last but not least, Baeivi, the Supreme Commander of the Horagallean Guard.
Sypmaster Leammá, of course, was nowhere to be found.
Viggu cleared his throat and began spreading out his maps and notes of the surrounding area on the table. A long speech summarized follows:

To the immediate south of the furthest reaches of the Gonagas's control lay a tight confederacy of Norse tribes calling themselves "Hälsingland" ruled by Chief Borkvard. This was the land from which the Viking raiders that had tormented the southern Sámi for so long hailed, and upon knowing this a ripple of hatred ran through the assembly. Knowledge of civilization further south than that tribe was hazy, but Viggu had concluded that there was most likely a relatively large Norse kingdom with a frightening warrior culture somewhere south beyond "Hälsingland". The western frontier of Horagalleana was very easily determinable, considering that it was cut off by the mighty mountain range known as "Skánddat" by the Sámi, and the "Scandes" by the Germanics.

Lz6iaHz.png
iOuMVIY.png

The Scandes Mountains from the Horagallean angle, and a map of the range.

The chancellor had not traveled beyond Skánddat, the very idea of taking on those monstrous mountains was a death sentence for a man of his age. Instead he traveled alongside the mountain range, asking any Sámi siidas he met for information regarding what lay beyond. From what he had gathered, there was a large stretch of land in between the other side's coast and Skánddat. The land was known as "Nordland" according to those who had been there. The population of Nordland was half-Sámi half-Norse, though ruled by a Norse government that staunchly oppressed the Sámi. However, from when he had last asked, it turned out that the chiefdom was being assailed by invaders coming from the south! The invading force was that of a powerful vassal of a far vaster and far mightier empire, known as "Noregr".

5YUc9l1.jpg

The Norwegian invasion of Nordland, 937

Upon hearing of this, Commander Baeivi's eyes lit up like a bonfire, and he immediately began scanning over the maps, with a sharpness in his pupils as if he was a predator on the search for prey.

To the northeast lay "Kemi", a Finnish tribe that Horagalleana was relatively familiar to. The tribe had originally settled on the coast of Bothnia, known as Kemi, for which the tribe was named. However, in the last few decades the tribe had issued aggressive colonization campaigns to settle vast swathes of inland Sápmi dwarfing the original extent of the realm. Much of the land was barely controlled and hence the tribe was weak in comparison to Horagalleana. They had a minuscule population of devout members to the tribe, so naturally there were not many who would willingly take up arms in the defense of Kemi.

This detail threw Commander Baeivi onto his feet, and he forthwith ran gleefully like a small child out of the lavvu. The councilors continued without him, all that was left to discuss was the existence of some pathetic Sámi riika's beyond the stretches of Kemi, and the presence of a large Finnish tribe to their south, "Pohjanmaa".

gGtruqB.png

A map of what was by 937 known to Horagalleana, with Viggu's route detailed
On the evening of that day, long after the council meeting had been dismissed, Áivvit remained in the Lavvu. He had been lulling over the papers for hours, trying to memorize the information and planning where to take Horagalleana next. It was when his frustration met its apex, that Baeivi slid open the door-flaps and squatted down beside the Gonagas. In a whispered tone he said:

"Your highness, I have a plan to lead Horagalleana to greatness, but it demands your open mind"

Áivvit responded, trying his hardest to sound polite through his mix of frustration and concern:
"Please Baeivi, what is so important as to demand bothering me at this hour in this state?"

The commander pointed violently at a spot on the map, and proclaimed,
"I say we move an armed troop through Kemi, to demand Chief Jurva's swear of fealty to you, my Gonagas. Their military potential is pathetic. Not only will your domain almost double, you will be one step closer to fulfilling your oath to liberate all Sámi. We will also get to finally test-"

Áivvit interrupted,
"Commander, are you seriously proposing we invade Kemi?!"

"That is one way of putting it, but surely you of all people would love to put that Finnish devil in his place? You hate him!"

"I hate no man!" Áivvit protested

"Oh please Áivvit, all due respect but I have heard what you say of him, you detest his treatment of our brothers in the north-east. Come now, let us put an end to his sovereignty"

"And so what? Even if I wanted to, what chance do we have? What force do we invade with, the Guard only numbers 30 sufficiently trained men!"

"Ah but do not think I haven't taken that into account," Baeivi responded, proudly drawing a paper from behind his back, "I uhh borrowed.. Dávgon's map of every siida in your administrated portion of Horagalleana. Starting tomorrow, with your sponsorship, I can travel to each and every siida on this map and through this raise you an army. I have no doubt that I could raise any less than 500 men. They will of course be dismissed upon return home, but just imagine the glory. An army, just like that of Noregr. The chief of Kemi will of course do the same, but with chief Leammá's help they will stand no chance."

Áivvit was dumbfounded, he responded in a daze:
"Warfare is terrible, but if it means liberating my folk then it may just be worth it. Damn you, fine, but I don't want any part in it, this entire invasion is under your control, commander."

"Wonderful, this couldn't have turned out better, I knew you would see reason in the end. You're a clever man, your highness." Baeivi finished, as he left the lavvu.

KegW0uW.png

A troupe of Sámi soldiers transporting their equipment between rivers, Baeivi to the far right.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A new army, a council, a spymaster and the satisfying solution to his spiritual problems
Things are looking good for Gonagas here
Let's hope the good times conti.........who am I kidding? I want bad. I want war and suffering. That's why I play CK2 heh!
Excellent chapter :)

I love that huge rock too

We'll see how it goes for Horagalleana next chapter ;) It may just turn out to your liking.. at the behest of the Sámi.
Thanks for commenting!

------

On a sidenote, I will be travelling up to northern Horagalleana irl tomorrow, and will be staying there until Sunday, I will be taking on the highest mountain in Sweden, Kebnekaise! :)

etN89JE.png

PS: If I stop posting new chapters please send help

• 1Like
Reactions:
That does sound like one of the better reasons to go to war.

It has to be my favorite sieidi in the world personally, I spent about 5 minutes just marveling at the absolute grandeur of the thing before actually putting the image in. The actual stone is somewhere in northern Finland, so not actually on the Lulejohka as is in the AAR. But don't worry, we'll be getting enough contact with northern Finland in Chap. 4 ;)
It reminds me a little of a place a couple of miles from the village I grew up in, somewhat idiosyncratically called the Cheesewring

Enjoy your journeying :)

I have decided to discontinue it, I loved it as well and thought it was in a great place, however I made a grave mistake. I forgot to factor in the release of CK3. I am however working on a mod to make Sápmi in CK3 realistic to history, and will likely do another AAR with that in CK3. :p

Looking forward to the new one!

Understandable. Good fortune with the mod.