• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuterium Oxide

Distribution Manager
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Jan 13, 2014
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
Due to a failure of launch procedures, we had an unplanned release of the 2020.17 version of the launcher last evening. This uncontrolled release unsurprisingly brought with it some bugs, and we will be reverting the changes for the time being in order to give us time to address the remaining bugs evident in 2020.17.

The reversion is now done and we are back on 2020.16. The current plan is to fix the stuff that was broken and re-release it as 2020.17.2.

How to fix your launcher
If you have a broken launcher that won't update, the easiest thing is to uninstall the Paradox launcher and then start your game anew. A launcher version will be installed and subsequently updated to the re-released 2020.16.

Screenshot from 2021-01-20 16-51-08.png

Screenshot from 2021-01-20 16-51-52.png

An alternative way to try this is to update your VC++ Redistributable (as described below), get it working and then have the launcher revert back to 2020.16.

Apologies for anyone affected by the bugs and the confusion that will no doubt ensue as a result of the reversion of 2020.17.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
That is IMHO a bad decision. The working .17 should probably be renamed to .18 and not 17.2 for safety.

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
When will Paradox customers stop being its QA team?
You're not our QA team, you're our Customer Experience Team, that's much more important ;)! In all seriousness though the release was accidental and it wasn't ready for deployment, that's why it caused "a few" issues ><.

• 3Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
The 2015-2019 x64 release (I use Win7) worked for me too.

Reactions:
For some reason removing Launcher through this file:
launcher-installer-windows.msi
and reinstalling it, worked....
Only not for the game i had started messing around, trying some other offical solutions (as advised by moderators on Steam) and now for that specific game I'm missing launcher-settings.json.
Any idea where i get that file from?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Only not for the game i had started messing around, trying some other offical solutions (as advised by moderators on Steam) and now for that specific game I'm missing launcher-settings.json.
Any idea where i get that file from?

The launcher-settings.json is the file delivered by the game team to regulate how the launcher operates. It should be present in your game directory and will be picked up by the bootstrap process and ensure that the launcher gets correct skinning etc. If it's lost, validating the game files should make Steam re-create it (provided you actually run Steam - if you are on Microsoft, GOG, Epic or elsewhere your mileage may vary)

You're not our QA team, you're our Customer Experience Team, that's much more important ;)! In all seriousness though the release was accidental and it wasn't ready for deployment, that's why it caused "a few" issues ><.
Give a man who is responsible for this a cooke from me, he gave me few grey hair and some lost time trying to fix mod loading issue....

• 1Haha
Reactions:
The launcher-settings.json is the file delivered by the game team to regulate how the launcher operates. It should be present in your game directory and will be picked up by the bootstrap process and ensure that the launcher gets correct skinning etc. If it's lost, validating the game files should make Steam re-create it (provided you actually run Steam - if you are on Microsoft, GOG, Epic or elsewhere your mileage may vary)

Thanks I managed to get same idea about validating files :)
It worked but it took ages. And 3 attempts.

• 1Like
Reactions:
To everyone with this issue:

Can you please download the latest C++ bundle and install it:

IMPORTANT!
Make sure you download and install the x64 version, not x86, as this has caused issues in the past!

This seems to work for me, thanks! Already tried to restart the game multiple times and it seems ok.
Only a warning for everyone: after trying to bypass the launcher several times, I wasn't able to earn achievements in my run anymore. Since I saw this one coming, I made a copy of the save file as soon as the error started and that saved me. Just be careful, and good luck

• 1Like
Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.