• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What' a populist civil war?

What's the difference between a Populist CW and a regular one? (besides the effects upon the senate). Is there any way to trigger one? If I'm struggling with a populist majority and I try to put the Pop. leader behind bars and he starts a CW: will it be a regular or a populist one?

Populist civil wars generally don't have much in the way of military backing (unless there are lots of units loyal to a populist commander), so I'd say they're probably easier to defeat than normal civil wars. Otherwise, they're virtually the same (except for rebalancing the senate as you've noted).

Imprisoning a populist leader in an important position will lead to a normal civil war. To get a populist civil war, the populists need to hold the majority of the senate but have a non-populist consul - but even then, it's not particularly likely. I'm afraid there is no way to manually trigger a populist civil war otherwise.

influencing senate

I still don't understand how to influence the Senate: for example, my truce with Magna Grecia is over and I have a mission to annex Magna Grecia, which now has only one province. But I can't declare war without a -3 stability penalty because they are paying tribute. But I can't cancel the tribute because the commercial clique in the Senate is against it and I don't have enough Senate support.

What can I do? clearly I have to decrease the number of senate members of that clique and get more military minded senators. But how do I go about doing that? Throw all the opposing senators in jail?

And BTW how do I increase stability? It says I have to do some sacrifice or some action to the gods, but I can't find any sacrifice that will increase stability...

Henri

I still don't understand how to influence the Senate: for example, my truce with Magna Grecia is over and I have a mission to annex Magna Grecia, which now has only one province. But I can't declare war without a -3 stability penalty because they are paying tribute. But I can't cancel the tribute because the commercial clique in the Senate is against it and I don't have enough Senate support.

What can I do? clearly I have to decrease the number of senate members of that clique and get more military minded senators. But how do I go about doing that? Throw all the opposing senators in jail?
Well...

you should not ask for a tribute if you plan to annex a country
This.

In your situation, though, I'd check the current balance of power in the senate. Which faction is the strongest? If their leader gets into power and is reasonably popular, you'll be able to do almost anything, so you can try getting that man into the consulship so you can break the tribute.

You can also try damaging your relations with Magna Graecia by supporting rebels and such until they just get so fed up with you that they break the tribute themselves.

Edit: or you could download Total Conquest, improve your relations and ally with them and you'll eventually be able to diplomatically annex them :p

And BTW how do I increase stability? It says I have to do some sacrifice or some action to the gods, but I can't find any sacrifice that will increase stability...

Henri
On the religion screen, look for the little icon that is a pig with a knife pointed at it (it's near the top right corner of that scroll). If you have enough money, you'll be able to click it as a button and your stability will increase.

I should warn that Dacia is not a very newbie-friendly country. It's a tribal state with a relatively low civilisation value, so can't colonise very easily and has no neighbours, so it can't expand without walking its armies over barbarian territory. I have had one successful Dacian campaign, though, where I just ignored this and attacked Illyria and was lucky to pull off a victory with a similarly-sized army. You could also try vassalising some Greek state to get a big civilisation bonus and start colonising like crazy.

I saw on the first page the structure of the social and political life of Rome. Does this apply to Dacia as well? From my history knowledges, the Dacian society was not socially, politically, religiously compatible with the Roman society. It would be cool to have different structures for each civ (maybe with improvement packs?). So all the societies are Roman flavors?

I saw on the first page the structure of the social and political life of Rome. Does this apply to Dacia as well? From my history knowledges, the Dacian society was not socially, politically, religiously compatible with the Roman society. It would be cool to have different structures for each civ (maybe with improvement packs?). So all the societies are Roman flavors?

All nations on the map are one of 3 different governments;

Republic
Monarchy (Includes Imperium, Dictatorship and Theocracy)
Tribe

It's possible for governments to convert to a different type of government. Taking Dacia as an example, a possible government progression could be:

Tribe > Military Republic > Dictatorship > Imperium

This evolution takes time and you have to fulfill certain goals before it's possible. Though, the game won't push you to achieve this goal, so it's up to you to advance your country as you see fit. Another thing I'll point out is that even though there are only 3 government types, each government has multiple forms. I can't remember them all but here's a few examples:

Republic (Military Republic, Oligarchic Republic, etc.)
Monarchy (Aristocratic Monarchy, Despotic Monarchy, etc.)
Tribe (Military Tribe, Civic Tribe and Trade Tribe)

Each form of government gives a different bonus.

Is there an EU Rome cursus honorum flowchart or post that clearly shows what offices can lead to which others? The tooltips are useful, but not available if the person currrently in the position can't be removed.

I understand that the type of position has a corresponding attration, but do the minor titles each have an attraction effect toward a different faction or (other than pontifex) serve as a prerequisite for anything, or are they just for mollifying the characters for a while?

Thanks!

haha I should have read this thread before asking Ilyria for tribute. now I have all of their provinces except the capital Scodra (which actually was my target all along because of the horses... but I didn't notice it was the capital).

now I can't cancel the tribute because I have a religious senate... I think I'll just mod my way out of it... or get your Total Conquest mod, that looks like the best alternative, especially with defecting provinces and the possibility to release nations.

edit: that's funny, I didn't mod my way out (and Total Conquest obviously didn't solve the tribute issue, I would still get 3 stab hits declaring war) but I managed to get out of the tribute with a new consul. there was a +50% modifier in every faction for being friend of someone (I suppose they were all friends of the new consul) so I got a green pass to cancel the tribute and then declare war unanimously on Ilyria.

Last edited:
I would love a guide for Tribes, because playing as a well known country doesn't interest me as much. But I'm at my wits' ends playing as Suebi. The ever growing hordes of Barbarians, the inability to colonize and form any meaningful borders, and Rome's impending expansion (Thus removing the possibility of taking your time) make for an exercise in futility. You can't spend forever cleaning out all of the Barbarians, and it's unlikely you can clean out ALL of them, there's always going to be several way out there, in the FOW, that suddenly appear on your Capital while your main force is trying to fight a war way off elsewhere..

At least without being gamey and using that Civil War tech cheat.