[Unofficial] 3.4.5 'Cepheus' Known Issues / Community-maintained bug list - last updated July 19

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tbh. Paradox. Please up ypur (automated) Testing!
As a software engineer i just can not wrap my head around how things like tracking not working anymore, or peace deals affecting the wrong planets (unoccupied instead of occupied) can go unoticed and enter the main branch...

• 10Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
As a software engineer i just can not wrap my head around how things like tracking not working anymore, or peace deals affecting the wrong planets (unoccupied instead of occupied) can go unoticed and enter the main branch...
I was thinking the same thing.
isnt there a unit test file where they test all the scenarios for diplomacy logic? How can something like this happen?

Graphics, localization, and naming
I have just identified a bug with the manifesti faction, whilst writing up my own situation driven faction for 3.4, i noticed the manifesti have been given a custom "torch" style faction icon. Though it does not always display. From what I can tell, it's sprite has not been defined in icons.gfx (this isnt always needed for sprites - but many things do use defined sprites this way)
Bug report with pictures:

Reactions:
Interface: Scholarium seems to imply some but not all science ships can be upgraded, but it doesn't seem to work or only intermittently works. Seems to want to upgrade into Arctrellis, though I could misunderstand. I filed a bug report.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Are slaves supposed to be this expensive now?
I'm seeing them from 1750 to 3100 on the slave market. I don't remember them ever being that expensive before.

@Gromit

Yes, it is. That was in the change notes. It was specifically intended as a balancing factor, as even with slavery banned, they were extremely undercosted compared to the benefits offered by an extra pop in the long run. AI empires would greatly weaken their own economy for just a measly 500-1000 energy credits for a standard pop, while the player’s would balloon massively while they aggressively bought these pops off the slave market and put them to productive use.

I approve of the change. It will make the AI at least a bit better at not sinking its own economy through slavery, by getting at least a more substantial up-front benefit. Though I think it’s still a winning proposition for the buying rather than the selling empire, even with the increased cost.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Are slaves supposed to be this expensive now?
I'm seeing them from 1750 to 3100 on the slave market. I don't remember them ever being that expensive before.
Yes, its one of the balance changes. They were far too cheap.

Why in your right mind would you sell a pop for 500 or 1000 if to Egalitarians? They produce so much in value long term, so slaver AI empires shoot themselves in the foot.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I was thinking the same thing.
isnt there a unit test file where they test all the scenarios for diplomacy logic? How can something like this happen?

I'm sure the actual workers know what they're doing, so I can only conclude they must still be really overpressured to meet the release dates. I blame the execs.

Another QoL (which actually ties into a long requested feature):

The fleet arrangement in the Fleet Manager does not match that of the fleet arrangement within the Outliner since the patch. So the newest fleet you create places itself in between the existing ones on the outliner, and without a way to arrange them (as in planets), it's a nuisance now.

On a related note, for namelists that follow a sequence (1st Fleet, 2nd Fleet), the sequence seems to break now. Fleet management has become a bit wonky.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Game developers really should learn to act on threads like these I went to Steam to purchase Overlord, read the comments regarding rebelling primitives and immediately decided nah I won't bother yet, I'll wait another six months and check again. I wonder how many sales these companies lose simply because they can't be bothered to quash the bugs in a timely manner -this guy here has collected them all in one handy place and saved you the trouble of tracking them all down, use those saved man-hours to fix the bugs and enjoy the resulting financial boost that comes from doing that.

They already said within the first day, that they were aware there were bugs and were working on them. The devs have been on discord and Reddit etc saying they will work on them on Monday.

The problem was they waited until Thursday afternoon in their time to release a big expansion + free update with a ton of changes, with no beta. Which meant they only had Friday to see how things went and then the weekend break before they could actually do anything about them. If they'd released it on a Monday they could have at least already had some hotfixes out or actually done something

Bugs happen, but it's baffling at how some of these bugs made it past QA. Some of the bugs are things that were readily apparent to me within an hour of my first game, and some were even obvious *before* the DLC came out. I had a Reddit thread already on the Vassal not accepting Specialization issue before the DLC even launched just from watching Montu play a single game . That worked in the version the content creators played last weekend, so something was broken in the later build

It seems odd to me that nobody played a test game on the build the players were actually getting, and said "Uh guys, vassals won't accept specialization no matter what, and there's something really funky going on where they make defense pacts against people I'm at war with and bring me into wars against myself".

I get that there's a lot of things that would need to be tested and it would be easy to miss many of them, but those are ones you encounter literally within an hour or two of playing if you just run a test game

• 4Like
Reactions:
I really hope the Defense Privatization resolution line will be changed. As of right now, the massive increase to Mercenary energy upkeep paired with the decrease in naval capacity makes Mercenaries completely unusable if the resolution line is progressed enough. This makes the resolution line undesirable to pass for anyone looking to use Mercenaries, including the patrons, which makes it a non-feature and pretty disappointing tbh.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I really hope the Defense Privatization resolution line will be changed. As of right now, the massive increase to Mercenary energy upkeep paired with the decrease in naval capacity makes Mercenaries completely unusable if enough if the resolution line is progressed enough. This makes the resolution line undesirable to pass for anyone looking to use Mercenaries, including the patrons, which makes it a non-feature and pretty disappointing tbh.

Agreed. It runs counter intuitive to the idea that mercenary fleets can be ranked up to be huge quite easily. I accidentally made my mercenaries too expensive for me to hire by the mid game (their fleet was 80k!). Their naval cap reduction should be boosted more with the resolutions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I believe I've also seen a bug cropping up relating to war. Some systems that are obviously occupied will mysteriously be counted as unoccupied, which can make it hard to get an AI to conced and even lead to annoying situations in which a status quo will not cede a particular system.

I've noticed this bug in my own wars, an I've also seen it effect others in multiplayer games. I would create a bug report, but I didn't take any screenshots or make a save unfortunately.

Here's another issue I've got today: GDF/Imperial Fleet counts towards your Naval Capacity.

Might have something to do with how merc fleets behave, as they too count towards your nav cap.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Three things i could observate in my actual game:
1) I can't buy any food from the market anymore. Starting somewhere in the midgame. I don't know why, the complete option was suddenly missing!
2) From one moment to the other no mercenary enclave in the galaxy could be engaged in diplomacy with. That includes the three i've founded. After a few years they talked to me to remind that the logistic deal will run out. From there on it was possible to talk again.
3) If a merccenary fleet contract runs out there is no reminder and no option to extend the deal. You have to think for it by yourself and intime or the contract runs out

Can anyone else confirm this?

1) I can't buy any food from the market anymore. Starting somewhere in the midgame. I don't know why, the complete option was suddenly missing!
Was this with some food income of your own? As far as I know you need some income of a ressource to appear in the market.
Edit: On the other hand, barring specific cases, every empire has a base food income

2) From one moment to the other no mercenary enclave in the galaxy could be engaged in diplomacy with. That includes the three i've founded. After a few years they talked to me to remind that the logistic deal will run out. From there on it was possible to talk again.
I also encountered that bug. It happened everytime I closed the dialouge window with the 'X' in the upper right instead of the "Goodbye" dialouge option.

3) If a merccenary fleet contract runs out there is no reminder and no option to extend the deal. You have to think for it by yourself and intime or the contract runs out
Yes, this needs some small QoL improvements. I made a similar post today lamenting that you can only extend the contract in one year increments (edit: ten years actually, I just misread 3600 days for 360) with no reminder that the contract has run out. The Scrappers 15% engineering bonus has the same issue of quietly running out in the background.
Interestingly though, the mercenaries 'naval logistics' option does remind you that it has run out and they ask for a renewal.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I believe I've also seen a bug cropping up relating to war. Some systems that are obviously occupied will mysteriously be counted as unoccupied, which can make it hard to get an AI to conced and even lead to annoying situations in which a status quo will not cede a particular system.

I've noticed this bug in my own wars, an I've also seen it effect others in multiplayer games. I would create a bug report, but I didn't take any screenshots or make a save unfortunately.
That’s to do with primitives and there’s already 2 bug reports for it