[Unofficial] 3.4.5 'Cepheus' Known Issues / Community-maintained bug list - last updated July 19

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With biological ascension, you can apparently create a template out of the Shroudwalker and Salvager enclave special pops and produce them in your Clone Vats, despite not having those pops in your empire. This means you can always get Psychic pops, in every game, without taking Psionic ascension.

Is this an intentional trick? Shouldn't you only be able to create templates for pops you have access to?
The primary draw of Psionic ascension are the psionic techs, the Shroud, and your main species becoming psionic, isn't it?

Reactions:
Yes, being able to start having psionic pops freshly growing after getting your third ascension perk is much less powerful than getting you the ascension.

I mean getting Rackets or Kettlings is possible mcuh earlier and hasn't broken any game I am aware of.

• 1Like
Reactions:
[Balance] [As designed] Armor does actually appear to be regenerating at the correct rate, but the massive hull and armor values of some space monsters are giving them pretty high regen rates due to the percent scaling.
  • E.g. Shard has a base 100,456 armor and 150,000 hull, which with her two copies of Regenerative Hull Tissue gives her 2,009 daily armor regen and 1,500 daily hull regen at Cadet with no difficulty bonuses.

This may be as designed but I think NOT and looks need some fix.
Please check out my experiment today.

What I wish would finally get fixed is the biography line breaks duplication bug...

Can't really have multi-paragraph empire biographies without line breaks duplicating into infinity.

We somehow got an entire empire design text file format reworked without that issue being fixed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
[Minor] Randomly generated empires may use full words from their empire name instead of a several letter acronym for their ship prefix. [Report]

This one appears to be fixed in 3.4.4, though they didn't mention it in the patch notes.

Reactions:
Bug update 6/23
New patch, new update.

Added bugs:
  • [Confirmed] Necrophage: Genocidal Hive Mind Necrophages only start with two buildings: their capital and research labs. [3.4.3]
    • Hive Mind Necrophages don't start with Synaptic Nodes (despite regular Necrophages starting with Administrative Offices). Comment in file: "Necrophages need fewer complex drones or the menial drone slots won't be filled"
    • Devouring Swarm / Terravore Necrophages don't start with a Spawning Pool. Comment in file: "This building is very useless for Devouring Swarm Necrophages"
    • In both cases they're still able to construct the building but have specific exceptions in common/scripted_effects/01_start_of_game_effects.txt: generate_start_buildings_and_districts preventing them from starting with them.
  • Hydroponics Station: This new habitat designation produces Farmer jobs instead of Agri-Drone jobs for Gestalt Consciousness empires. [3.4.4]
  • [Confirmed] [Major] [Exploit] Monthly income from automatic trades, but not monthly upkeep, is taken into account when calculating subsidies. This allows subjects to artificially inflate the size of the subsidies they receive by setting up automatic trades buying and immediately reselling resources. [3.4.3]
  • [Confirmed] Strike Craft graphics may be too far offset from the ship they're attacking. [3.4.2]
  • [Confirmed] In multiplayer games, if a player has access to DLC the host does not and that player starts with a randomly generated empire, it's possible for the empire to generate with a species invalid for the host. If this happens, the empire will be missing from empire selection when resuming the game. [3.0.1]
  • If a Sterilization Hub system owned by the Contingency contains a colony still owned by a regular empire and that colony rebels, the game will crash. [3.4.4]
  • [Confirmed] Localization: The Egalitarian faction asks you to use the Benevolent Subjugation War Terms Policy even if you have Corporate authority and it's called Negotiated Synergy instead. [3.4.4]
The following bugs reported as fixed in the 3.4.4 patch notes have new reports saying they aren't, and have been added back:
  • [Confirmed] Corporate empires still create new Corporate empires with a liberation war status quo, instead of the Merchant Guilds oligarchies they're supposed to make instead now. [3.4.3] [3.4.4]
    • [3.4.4] Fixed megacorps creating more megacorps from wars in some cases where the origins of the newly created empires weren't set correctly.
    • As of 3.4.4 this now seems to occur when winning a liberation war instead of when ending in a status quo. Possibly a separate bug with a similar effect?
  • Mercenary enclaves don't hire enough admirals for all their fleets, reassign admirals away from fleets that are hired out, and constantly transfer their admiral between their fleets. [Report1] [Report2] [3.4.4]
    • [3.4.4] Admirals no longer abandon their post on leased fleets.
      • Admirals are reportedly still abandoning their posts in 3.4.4.

Reactions:
Bug update 7/19
Alright, I'm starting to work my way through my list of preexisting bugs now.

Added 19 bugs:
  • [QoL] When making a bug report, the "All of the above" option in the "What expansions do you have installed?" section is nonfunctional, resulting in a blank response to the question when the report is submitted. [Feb 2022]
    • There is also no option for the Overlord DLC.
  • [Major] If a planet and its orbital ring are occupied by different empires, the planet doesn't count as occupied. [3.4.5]
  • [Major] Empires created by releasing a sector as a vassal, and possibly all empires created after game start, destroy all the agricultural districts, food buildings, and factory buildings they start with. [3.4.5]
    • Likely due to a logic failure with the country_uses_food and country_uses_food scripted triggers - empires less than one month old don't have any food or consumer goods expenses yet.
    • [Needs verification] Desired info: Are there any circumstances in which an empire created after game start isn't effected by this?
  • Civilians Returned: (subject.3060) Event fires for the wrong empire (the overlord instead of the subject). [3.4.3]
    • Appears to be because of a scope error.
  • Crash Site / Seeds of Destruction: Gestalt Consciousness empires can find the Crash Site anomaly, but get no reward for investigating it. The Seeds of Destruction dig site only spawns for regular empires. [3.4.5]
    • Since the dig site isn't visible to them even if another empire spawns it, gestalts should probably just be blocked from finding this anomaly.
  • On Solar Sails / Message in a Bottle: Gestalt Consciousness empires can find the On Solar Sails anomaly, but get no reward for investigating it. The Message in a Bottle dig site only spawns for regular empires. [3.4.5]
    • They're able to excavate the site if another empire spawns it though, so I'm not sure whether they're supposed to have access to the site or not.
  • Positronic Processors: This technology's description still says it unlocks the auto-research feature, despite that feature no longer having a tech requirement. [3.4.5]
    • [Needs verification] It's probably worth checking to see if the description of the machine version of the auto-survey tech also wasn't updated.
  • The Disruption Field Generator, Transit Hub, and Command Center starbase buildings will have their construction aborted if the system contains a Communications Jammer starbase building. [3.4.5]
    • Intended behavior is for these buildings to abort if another building of the same type exists, in order to keep them as one-per-system.
  • [Confirmed] [Preexisting] [Minor?] AI Climate Preference: Trait gives 0% habitability on Alpine worlds, despite giving 1% habitability on all other standard habitable planet climates. [3.1.1]
  • [Confirmed] [Preexisting] Hyperlane Registrar: The AI considers this a military starbase building and will only construct it on Bastions in chokepoints. [3.1.2]
  • [Preexisting] Not owning any standard starbases with a Shipyard module will cause every single standard starbase you own to gain the shipyard designation. [2.8.1] [3.3.2]
    • Mega Shipyards and Orbital Rings with Shipyard modules are ignored. (Orbital Rings don't have this issue.)
    • This should not be triggering for non-AI empires. (Orbital Rings do have this issue.)
  • [Preexisting] [Balance] The Picket Ship Bow destroyer section is weaker than other destroyer bows. [3.1.2]
    • Either it should have another small or PD weapon slot, or the current small weapon slot should be upgraded to medium.
  • [Preexisting] The Spiritualist fallen empire can request you attack another empire in order to force them to ban AI, but doesn't provide you with a casus belli to do so. [3.4.2]
    • Possibly the intent is for you to use impose ideology but this is unavailable in certain cases, such as being a Hive Mind.
  • [Preexisting] Ecumenopolis Industrial: Designation effect gives +25% Industrial District build speed, which is useless because ecumenopoises don't have access to industrial districts. [3.4.5]
    • Presumably it should be giving +25% Foundry Arcology and Industrial Arcology build speed instead.
  • [Preexisting] The is_democracy scripted trigger always returns false. [3.4.5]
    • This prevents the Rival Admirals event chain from triggering for Democratic subjects. I believe the trigger is otherwise unused, which is why the bug wasn't causing issues in previous versions despite being present.
  • [Preexisting] Auto-designation weights for Foundry and Factory designations on nonstandard planet classes ignore Alloy Nano-Plants (T3 foundry) and Civilian Repli-Complexes (T3 factory) buildings. [3.1.1]
    • Not only do these designation therefore have a lower weight than if the corresponding booster building wasn't fully upgraded, but in many cases this will set the designation weight to 0, preventing auto-designation from selecting it at all.
      • Foundry/Factory Station: Weight -4, or x0 if colony has 2 or less Industrial districts.
      • Ecumenpolis Foundry/Factory: Weight always x0.
      • Hive/Machine World Foundry/Factory: Weight -4, or x0 if colony has 3 or less Industrial districts.
  • [Preexisting] Special AI empire types such as the Horde and the Dessanu Concordance ruin their own planets and economies due to the use of the is_regular_empire = yes scripted trigger instead of is_gestalt = no. [3.3.0]
    • The following are destroyed: All housing districts except for Habitation districts, all trade buildings, all Amenity buildings, and all job-producing Unity buildings.
    • The following aren't destroyed, but produce no jobs: Industrial districts, all habitat districts except Trade districts, and all buildings except for non-habitat capitals, Military Academies, and strategic resource manufacturing buildings.
    • Colonies that are temporarily lost to the Horde are heavily damaged when recaptured.
    • Dessanu Concordance colonies notably spawn with 2 city districts and a Holo-Theatres building that are instantly destroyed.
  • [Preexisting] Piracy: AI will actively engage and destroy pirate fleets, but they won't seek out pirate stations. This means that if the fleet that destroys the pirate fleet doesn't enter the engagement range of the pirate station they AI will never destroy it, leaving the system in the hands of pirates forever. [3.4.2]
  • [Preexisting] Arcology Project: The AI will always eventually convert every single planet it owns into an Ecumenopolis, destroying all its basic resource districts. [3.4.5(?)]
  • [Preexisting] [Minor] Wenkwort planet modifiers have frames implying they're worse than they are. [3.3.0]
    • Wenkwort Gardens only has positive effects, but it has a yellow frame instead instead of a green one.
    • Wenkwort Custodian is a mix of positive and negative effects, but it has a red frame instead of a yellow one.

Note: There are dozens of bugs in colony_types I haven't seen reports for. The vast majority are for auto-designation weights, but some are functional.

Updated bugs:
  • Pathfinding and distance calculations appear to work by determining the shortest absolute distance first, and only then accounting for things like bypass windup time or number of jumps if they even account for them at all.
    • [Confirmed] Ship pathing forces the use of Hyper Relay even when that's undesirable while trying to avoiding hostiles. [3.4.2]
    • [Needs verification - Speculation]It seems likely to me that some bugs related to number of hyperlane jumps are being caused by this algorithm first finding the route with the shortest absolute distance, and only then counting the actual number of jumps on that route.
      • Sectors will sometimes exclude systems within 4 jumps. [3.4.5]
      • Starbase influence cost may be calculated incorrectly for systems that are both one and two hyperlanes from your capital system. [3.4.3]
      • Trade routes will ride hyper relays through a dozen systems rather than take a single hyperlane, causing all sorts of piracy problems. [3.4.3]

I've also starting working on a bug patch for 3.4.5. Which is preferable, a whole bunch of small patches targeting specific bugs, or a couple large ones that fix many things?

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
There is also no option for the Overlord DLC.
Noticed this item lacks a link. Here is a bug report link from a few weeks ago:
The "report issue" form in the Stellaris Bug Reports forum lacks a checkbox for Overlord

Dessanu Concordance
Nitpicking: Consonance

I have a list of bug reports I have made, currently up to 37. Some have previously been shared in this thread - but not all, and others have been added since then. If I post them here, which criteria should I use to filter them? Only 3.4 and later, or also earlier bug reports? Typo reports?

Edit: here is one typo that is not yet included in the big list.
Typo in randomly generated empire name word ("Coroporate")

Last edited:
Noticed this item lacks a link. Here is a bug report link from a few weeks ago:
The "report issue" form in the Stellaris Bug Reports forum lacks a checkbox for Overlord
Thanks!
Man, I can never remember which multi-syllabic c word they are. I also had them down as the confluence in a different bug.
I have a list of bug reports I have made, currently up to 37. Some have previously been shared in this thread - but not all, and others have been added since then. If I post them here, which criteria should I use to filter them? Only 3.4 and later, or also earlier bug reports? Typo reports?
If the report is from before 3.4, I'd really appreciate it if you double-check it's still present in the current version of the game; getting around to doing that for my own preexisting bug reports before adding them is why I'm only just putting them in now.

The list is long enough at this point that I'm less concerned with adding typos, unless you've got some that may cause misunderstandings of game effects. Also if you've got more than like 3 or 4 bugs to link me it would be nice if you could stick them in a collapsible spoiler so you don't have a supertall post.

All of the following bug reports are WITHOUT the Overlord DLC.
Every bug report I have previously shared in this thread should be included in this list.
(I have tried to filter out bug reports already in the big list.)

Anomalies, Events, and Archaeology
* The point about Numistic Administration pops has last been verified in 3.4.5, as per a comment in that thread.
1 Ancient Manufactory anomaly spawned on planet [3.4.3]
1 "Silent Behemoth" on habitable moon [3.0] (finding habitable world orbiting natives is rare, hence why no later repeat confirmation)

Events
3 Dialogues refer to old capital instead of current [3.4.3]
2 Feral overload interrupts other event chain [2.8/3.4.5]
2 Caravaneer neighbour events do not fire [3.4.5]
1 Permanent and stacking relations bonus from destroying the Caravaneers' home [3.4.5]

AI and game logic
1 Caravansary Caravan Coalition not disappearing [3.4.3] (could possibly be intentional)

AI empire behavior
3 Awakened Empire has single Hyper Relay, does nothing [3.4.3] (without Overlord DLC)

Civics and Origins
2 Common Ground can make empires start in black hole systems [3.4.5]

Graphics, localization, music, and naming
2 Catalytic Processing civic icon with "Low" Graphics Quality [3.4.3]
2 Tidal locked planets still rotate around their axis [3.0/3.4.5]
1 Corvettes not listed with other combat vessels in shipyard [3.0.3/3.4.5]
1 Context menu for moon says "Planet" [3.0/3.4.5]
1 Context menu reveals presence of natives before system is surveyed [3.4.3]
1 Rogue scientist has wrong background [3.4.3]
1 Empire selection portrait not updating [3.0/3.4.5]
1 "Select Target Empire" does not update the Authority icon [3.4.5]
1 Many moon climates do not show orbited planets in the background [3.4.5]

Tooltip issues
* Later bug report than the last in current list: Battle Thralls: mentions Soldiers, not Enforcers [3.4.2]
6 Empire Size: omits 5 of 7 effects [3.4.5]
3 Shared Burdens: includes Communal Housing Outreach, not Communal Housing [3.4.3]
1 Recruit Leader: missing tooltip and important information [3.4.5]

Miscellaneous? (both of these are exploitable, for pop-minting or massive faction unity boosts)
4 Residency counts ALL political power when calculating Unity from factions [3.4.5]
3 Auto-resettlement can abandon new colonies; abandon-and-recolonize exploit is back [3.4.3]

Other?
2 Hyperlanes can cross when new systems are created [3.4.5]
1 Democratic and oligarchic ruler terms are too long [3.0.3/3.4.5]
1 "Chosen One" regains "Psychic" trait [3.4.3]
1 Medieval natives lacking a Scholar [3.4.3]
1 Xeno Diplomacy is researchable without access to Rare Crystals [3.4.5]
1 Can propose same-category resolution while first is being voted on [3.4.3]

Other - inconsistencies thay could possibly be working as intended
2 Festival trampled pop option costs Influence rather than Unity [3.4.5]
2 Serviles trait does not block irrelevant traits [3.3.4/3.4.5]
2 "Delicious Eukaryotes" are not Delicious - "literally uneatable" [3.3.4]
1 Scion subjugation casus belli despite pathetic power [3.4.5]
1 Filtered Atmospheric Hallucinogen effects defy the description [3.0.3/3.4.5]
1 "Alien Writing" can reduce Society Research [3.4.3]

What is the difference between the "Miscellaneous" and "Other" categories?

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Really odd to insist that the Mercenaries not updating species traits is "working as designed" considering that's the population they draw from and the previous version of the population literally does not exist anymore. Guess they are making their own society within those stations.

But yeah, to paraphrase Nick Fury, I recognize that the devs have made a design choice, but given that it is not a very sensible design choice, I've elected to keep considering it an unresolved bug.

Edit: I've also noticed that my enclave made with the latest version of my species seems to have admirals while leased while the others don't, so it might quite objectively be a bug. Could have been a coincidence so I don't want to sound too sure.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Really odd to insist that the Mercenaries not updating species traits is "working as designed" considering that's the population they draw from and the previous version of the population literally does not exist anymore. Guess they are making their own society within those stations.

But yeah, to paraphrase Nick Fury, I recognize that the devs have made a design choice, but given that it is not a very sensible design choice, I've elected to keep considering it an unresolved bug.

Edit: I've also noticed that my enclave made with the latest version of my species seems to have admirals while leased while the others don't, so it might quite objectively be a bug. Could have been a coincidence so I don't want to sound too sure.
It's also worth noting that multiple species traits give leader bonuses, meaning they could be considered a military technology which should be used by enclaves when technology is shared.

It's also worth noting that multiple species traits give leader bonuses, meaning they could be considered a military technology which should be used by enclaves when technology is shared.

Yup, imagine my disappointment when I held on to my enclave slots until my Clone Army Ascendant pops had Psionic as well, missing out of tons of dividends in the meantime, only for the enclaves to shed their admirals upon renting to me and having their fleets drop to half power. I mean enclaves aren't even weak or anyhing, you get a ridiculously strong fleet for the cost you pay to rent (which should be increased) but the admiral bug kills all the fun of it and I'm honestly concerned Paradox won't do anything since they apparently consider the bug to be fixed already.