• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Iscaran

Private
7 Badges
Apr 15, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
Just started playing 1933 Darkest Hour full as Nationalist China.

At first I was little worried about the locked armies - but then even after the war with Japan started, 3/4 of my army still are not unlocked?

Is this a bug - or what is the trigger to unlock them?

I had Nanking occur and opted for the massacre, which gets you SOME units back under control as well as you do not loose permanenty 20% org and 30% morale (you loose twice 10% org and 15% mor due to events), but only 10% and 15% (which are still not recovered even after the Nationalist Army "reforms" event.)

Any ideas what is going on here?

Attachments

• NC_Army_Locked.png
    NC_Army_Locked.png
    934,4 KB · Views: 0
They get released over a longer period of time. Especially as you start to lose more land. But I may just be misremembering my KMT games since it's been a while since I did a 1936 one or a 1933 one where I did not destroy the CCP before coming to blows with Japan

Is this a bug - or what is the trigger to unlock them?
I think the triggers are defined in ..\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\db\events\China\1937-CHI-Minor-Warlords.txt

My reaction to those big frozen army stacks...
If I remember correctly, when playing KMT, I disbanded some of the more expensive brigades, later I sold some of the units to the Warlords (which was actually quite smart... not that I knew when I did it, though) and got them back when/if those Warlords joined.

Last edited:
@Altruist: Could you help me identify the proper conditions how to unrelease troops?
There seems to be only one event written in the file - but I dont know how to properly read the conditions set there.

Apparently NC has to be at war with with any of theses countries: JAP, SOV, ENG, RUS, USA, GER, DDR, U08, FRA
While at the same time these countries are not allowed to exist? CGX, CXB, CSX, U36, U67, CHC
Whatever these countries are?

Finally there seems to be another OR condition
OR = { #19th Army Defects Route
Which is additionally tied to dissent values?
random = 50
or = {
and = {
not = { dissent = 20 }
random = 50
}
and = {
not = { dissent = 30 }
random = 20
}
random = 5
}
}

So my dissent has to be lower than 20 or 30 when the 19th Army defects event occurs ? Or else the troops will remain blocked forever ?

While at the same time these countries are not allowed to exist? CGX, CXB, CSX, U36, U67, CHC
Whatever these countries are?
Warlords...
CGX: (Chinese) Guangxi Clique
CXB: (Chinese) Xibei (North-Western China)
CHC: Chinese Communists
U36: Zhili Clique
U67: Fengtian Clique
Source: ..\Darkest Hour\Mods\Darkest Hour Full\config\world_names.csv
Could you help me identify the proper conditions how to unrelease troops?
I think you got it:
Incorporate all the chinese warlord countries including communists, get dissent below 20% and be at war with a major power... results in a random chance every 50 days(?) to unfreeze those divisions mentioned later in the event.

I think you got it:
Incorporate all the chinese warlord countries including communists, get dissent below 20% and be at war with a major power... results in a random chance every 50 days(?) to unfreeze those divisions mentioned later in the event.
Ah thx - so this was my major mistake. I have dissent still waaaaaay too high to get this stuff triggered.
Will make a replay then :_)

random = 50
results in a random chance every 50 days(?)
Wasn't too sure about this, so I looked it up: ..\Darkest Hour\Modding documentation\event commands.txt
To be honest, I am still not really sure how it works but there are 2 random orders:
Code:
event = { id = [number]     # Unique event ID number from 0 up to several billions
    random = [yes/no]       # Is the event a random event or not. Default is set to NO. Number of random events per year is set in misc file in db folder

TRIGGERS
  random = x ( % )          # not to be confused with the above random = yes/no this sets a percentage chance for the event to trigger

Please allow me. The event works like this:
  • for the event to fire, Nat China must EITHER be at war with a major power (JAP, SOV, ENG, RUS, USA, GER, etc.) or having already conquered (well, they or someone else) all the other minor chinese nations (Guangxy, Yunnan, Xibei San Ma, Shanxy, Zhili Clique, Fengtian Clique, Communist China)
  • even if the above conditions are satisfied, there's only a reduced chance of this event firing; this is based on dissent: if dissent is above 30%, the chance of firing is reduced to 2.5%; if dissent is between 20% and 30%, then the chance of firing is reduced to 12.5%; if dissent is below 20%, then the chances of firing are 37.5%;
  • this calculations are verified only once every 90 days
Important point: I am not 100% sure that I got the correct firing chances, but I expect them to be close or similar to the numbers I gave.

Reactions:
Thank you both!
Your postings were very helpful.

My replay has indeed worked out much better - this time I have even accidentally wiped out the communists on the Long March - thus annexing Red China in 1934 :-D.
After that you get the option to "engage in talks" with the minor factions.
In my first iteration I went for Guangxi first, they surrendered (when I placed my Army on their borders). (They declared war on me when there were no troops in ALL the border provinces)
Same happened to Yunnan next.

But with Shanxi and Xibei it seems not to work ?!

Could you perhaps elaborate on the conditions for these events, too?

EDIT: OK - I found out that IF you manage to take over ALL 4 Major Warlord Factions by "negotiation" (I tried to improve my chances by bringing up my relationship to them to 200 AND to place Armies in every bordering province.
So, when it happens that you take over all 4 (Guangxi, Yunnan, Shanxi, Xibei) THEN after some days an event triggers, which unlocks ALL remaining armies.

Last edited: