• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've started also some work on the Greek Army and Navy, doing unitpics and a unitnames.csv aswell as a slightly changed OOB for them.
Here are the first pics:

Greek old Monitors/Ironclads BEN Aktion and BEN Amvrakia, which were still in use during the Balklan Wars and WWI: (I don't know what to do with them, because there is no shipclass in the game which could ossibly represent an old monitro/ironclad:

aktion1.jpg

amvrakia1.jpg

Greek pre-dreadnought Battleship BEN Limnos, Ex-USS Idaho, built 1905 in the US, bought by the greek 1914, but seized by the french at the outbreak of the war. It was given back as soon as Greece joined the entente. Her Sister-Ship was the BEN Kilkis, Ex-USS Mississipi.

lhmnos_bb24_5.jpg

lhmnos_bb24_2.jpg

lhmnos_bb24_1.jpg

The famous Flagship of the Greek Navy in the Balkan Wars, Armored Cruiser BEN Giorgios Averof, which was highly succesful against the Turkish Navy. Built 1908 in an italian-shipyard. First Picture shows the ship bombarding Smyrna, second pic shows the Averof in harbour.

Averof3.jpg

averof1.jpg

US-built (1912), former Chinese Light Cruiser Fei-Hung, bought by the Greek in 1914 and renamed BEN Elli:

Cruiser_Elli.jpg

Greek Coastal Protection Ships BEN Psara and and Sister-Ship BEN Idra, the third of it's class was BEN Spetsai:

psara2.jpg

idra1.jpg

Old Greek torpedoboat T11:
t11.jpg

Greek Destroyer/Torpedoboat BEN Doxa
doxa1.jpg

Greek Destroyer/Torpedoboat BEN Thiela
thiela1.jpg

Greek Destroyer/Torpedoboat BEN Velos
velos1.jpg

Destroyers/Torpedoboats of the Thiria-class:
panthir2_d72_hi.jpg
BEN Panthir
leon2_d50_hi.jpg
BEN Leon
ierax1_d36_hi.jpg
BEN Ierax
aetos1_old_hi.jpg
BEN Aetos

Old Greek Sub BEN Delfin
delfin1.jpg

Greek Sub BEN Katsonis
katsonis.jpg

If the Greek-Picture-pack is ready with airplane and infantry pictures, too, there will be a download. Any help is warmly welcome, because Greek-Army and Navy-Pictures are really hard to find. Aswell a native Speaker would be truly welcome to check on my unitnames.csv for greece. I know a little greek, but surely i might have made some mistakes. The unitnames.csv-file will be posted later.
Cheers
SCP

SirCentipede said:
Greek old Monitors/Ironclads BEN Aktion and BEN Amvrakia, which were still in use during the Balklan Wars and WWI: (I don't know what to do with them, because there is no shipclass in the game which could ossibly represent an old monitro/ironclad:
Heavy Cruiser model/0, Ironclad (1875). :)

StephenT said:
Heavy Cruiser model/0, Ironclad (1875). :)

Aargh !! Shame on me for my typos, I've just read the quotation of my previous post you've included in your post.... :eek:o

In my version v.02 the monitor is a 1915 model and accessable only after you've researched pre-dreadnought tech. Huh :confused: , I've been wondering about this thing ever since I've seen it in the first place.

SirCentipede said:
In my version v.02 the monitor is a 1915 model and accessable only after you've researched pre-dreadnought tech. Huh :confused: , I've been wondering about this thing ever since I've seen it in the first place.
It's been explained at least three times on various threads. :p

The 1915 monitor model is a shallow-draft ship armed with modern battleship-calibre guns, used for shore bombardment. Britain built a lot of these (over 20), starting with the Abercrombie class launched in April 1915 and armed with two 14" (356mm) guns. Italy also built quite a few. As far as I'm aware, no other country did.

BMARSHALSOULT.jpg

They're a spin-off from the dreadnought tech because they used dreadnought-style guns. They were called 'monitors' because they had the same general design concept and appearance as the mid-19th century ship class - an armoured raft with a single central turret - but in technology and firepower they were far in advance.

new download link

Sorry, now i remember the thing with the british-monitors... I've mixed up ironclads and monitors and got confused :confused: My fault...

Anyway... the greek ironclads are now Heavy Cruisers model_0.

In addition to that I've compiled several greek infantry and some air pictures. Nearly all infantry models are present, lacking brigades-pics are gas, Anti-Tank, Heavy Weapons, Tank, Communication and anti-air. Artillery, Heavy artillery, Cavalry and Logistics-Brigades are included. Of course a lot of Air-Pics are missing, too, but nevertheless i think my greek-pics-package covers the greek army, airforce and navy of the great war quite well. For anybody who cares here's the donload, simply extract to
Paradox Interactive\1914\GFX\Interface\models

http://www.esnips.com/doc/6fef2ce2-39b7-45ad-8542-f7ac83754a54/greekunitpics01.rar

Or get them at

http://www.esnips.com/web/SirCentipedes-HoI-2-1914-files

Last edited:
Here's a small update on the german brigades pics. I'm sure some tank freaks will be interested:

a7vu.jpg

ill_bri_ger_8_2.jpg

The AV7U (U=Umlaufketten = eng. all-round-tracks) maybe a model_3 tank (model 1= captured allied tanks, model 2 = the german built AV7), developed by the AV7 departement after they have seen that the british Mark IV/V was more successful in the field with its all-round tracks. Twenty have been ordered in 1918 but only a single prototype had been produced by Daimler-Benz before the war ended.

kwagen.jpg

ill_bri_ger_8_3.jpg

the K-wagen (Kollossal-wagen/Großkampfwagen) developed by Joseph Vollmer and Captain Wegner, a good model 4 tank brigade and a good example of the craziness of tank designs during WWI:
Armor protection ranged between 10mm and 30mm, the K-Wagen was 12.7 m long and 3m in width and height. It had four 77mm guns and seven 7.92 maxim machine guns. in addition to that it used submarine communications systems and equipment. And it was operated by a crew of 22 (!!!!!). :wacko:
Two were under construction in Nov 1918 but never completed.

And last but not least a possible gas brigade pic, derived from the cavalry-man with gas-mask pic i've posted before.

ill_bri_ger_3_0.jpg

And i almost forgot: here's the link to the small update with the brigades-pics above included:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/ec9d002b-0fd7-4d37-8caa-83ed7cf69555/GermanpicsV04.rar

or get them at

Last edited:
And again some new finds, I've added to my german picture-collection:

Battleship Design-study L20e from 1917 (would be BB model 6):

BB_L20e-Aug17.jpg

ill_div_GER_22_5.jpg

Battlecruiser Design-study GK 4021 from 1918 (colud be BC model 4 instead of the Ersatz-Yorck-class)

zbc_gk4021-type.jpg

ill_div_ger_25_3v2.jpg

Largest german Seaplane Carrier/Tender "SMS Santa Elena", built in 1905 as a merchant ship refitted 1915 as a Seaplane Carrier. It could carry 4-6 Seaplanes.

ill_div_ger_27_0.jpg

And of course a Seaplane CAG brigade-pic:
ill_bri_ger_14_0.jpg

all of these are included here, along with the other pictures:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/ec9d002b-0fd7-4d37-8caa-83ed7cf69555/GermanpicsV04.rar

or get them at

Last edited:
I know this might not be appropriate, but allow me one question on my own behalf:

Does anybody know if there's a file hoster which hosts files for free and for indefinate times ?
Because i fear with the relatively low traffic in this forum my files hosted by rapidshare could be deleted after 30 days without downloads.

Thanks
SCP

New Hvy. Weapons Section Design

I had just made some thoughts on how to present Heavy sections better in the game, as i couldn't decide which kind of weapon is best to represent the Brigade... A Machinegun (as i used to to it) ? A grenadethrower or mortar ? Flamethrowers ?

Than I came up with the idea, here's the result:

ill_bri_ger_6_1-1.jpg
German Maxim Machinegunners and a M16 Grenadethrower

DivBri.jpg
The same brigade picture attached to an infantry division

ill_bri_ger_6_2-1.jpg
German Maxim Machinegunners and a 7.58cm lMW n.A. Light Mortar

ill_bri_ger_6_3-1.jpg
German Flamethrower and a 7.58cm Leichter Minenwerfer n/A Grenadethrower Light Mortar

DivBri2.jpg
The same Brigade picture attached to an infantry division

ill_bri_ger_6_4-1.jpg
German Flamethrower and a 25cm Schwerer Minenwerfer (sMW) a.A. Heavy Mortar

What do you think of this design ?
I would enjoy to hear some comments and critiques about it...
Cheers
SCP

Have to say I'm not too keen on the double-picture idea: it sort of looks as if there are two[/i] brigades attached: also, the pictures are small enough already without trying to put two side-by-side.

I'd suggest either a heavy machine gun or a mortar as the weapon to show - although you could show a flamethrower as a more advanced model of the brigade.

StephenT said:
Have to say I'm not too keen on the double-picture idea: it sort of looks as if there are two[/i] brigades attached: also, the pictures are small enough already without trying to put two side-by-side.

I'd suggest either a heavy machine gun or a mortar as the weapon to show - although you could show a flamethrower as a more advanced model of the brigade.

Yeah, I've thought of it, too, that the pictures are already small enough, 'though I only made the mortar smaller and moved it on my normal hvy. brigade pictures, it seemed that it could work, because mortars are a kind of vertical slender weapons regarding their looks, so the idea was to put it in 1/3 of the normal brigade picture.

The thing that it looks like there are two brigades attached could be avoided if i separate the two weapons only with a black or white border and not with a black/yellow border, my first versions looked like this:

2BriMGMort.jpg

Another dilemma of mine is that i realy like to have flamethrower pics in the game, but they are offensive weapons used by assault pionieers and the stats of the hvy wp. brigade suggest that the brigade is meant to be more like a defensive brigade. So it seems machineguns and mortars as they are more defensive/static weapons should be the better choice to represent a heavy weapons section....???

Aynway it's not that important, i just felt like experimenting this evening, so i did the pictures and wanted to hear if somebody thinks this could be a good idea...

Cheers for you coment...
SCP

The Complete German unitpics

Finally it's here:
After several weeks of sporadic work, I've now gathered all the pics which let issue a final and complete german unitpics.rar.

All Divisions and Brigades are included, most notably the changes are:

- new mountain divisions included
- new police brigade
- updated and completed gas brigades
- updated and completed artillery brigades
- updated and completed heavy artillery brigades
- new anti-tank brigades
- updated heavy weapons brigades
- updated Cavalry brigades (now the early Cav. brigades have a more 19th Century feeling about them, so they are suited for the 1897 scenario aswell)
- updated Cavalry division (now the early Cav. divisions have a more 19th Century feeling about them, so they are suited for the 1897 scenario aswell)
- updated Tank brigades
- new armored car brigades
- updated and completed anti-air brigades
- CAG brigade
- updated Garde divisions (the early ones have a more 19th century feeling about them, so they are suited for the 1897 scenario aswell)
- corrected Light Infantry divisions, now the early ones are Colonial infantry and later ones are Jäger-Divisions with pictures of soldiers wearing the correct head wear for Jäger)
- updated Garrison Divisions (now they are suited for the 1897 scenario aswell)
- updated and new HQ pics
- added new submarine pics

Also there is a german model.csv-file included with german model-names corresponding to my pictures.
Simply open the included germanmodels.csv and c&p the names into you original models.csv found in you Paradox Interactive\1914\config folder.

Here's the download-link for the COMPLETE german unitpictures-file (w/o any airdivision pictures, as they are included in the official 1914 graphics-file):

Extract and then c&p into your
Paradox Interactive\1914\GFX\Interface\models folder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like to customize your game, i've also made an alternative picture rar-file.
You can use any of these pictures replacing my original pictures from the DL-link above, by changing the name of the picture deleting the last two letters:

for example:

ill_bri_ger_1_0v2.bmp

delete v2 then you get

ill_bri_ger_1_0.bmp

Then copy&paste into your picture folder replacing the former picture.

Note:
Included in this download are several Fokker Dr.1 tri-plane pictures as a model ill_div_ger_14_2.bmp.
I've included those for the people who like to replace the Fokker D.VII model (from the official 1914 download) in their game with the Fokker Dr.1.
Arguably the Fokker D.VII was the better plane and replaced the Dr.1 but the Fokker Dr. 1 became more famous especially with the red painted tri-plane of the "Red Baron" and thereby it became THE inconographic german fighter-plane of WWI.

Ok, here are the ALTERNATIVE pictures:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/6e36dbad-a3c0-400c-b856-8c1f68dbf21e/GermanpicsAltV04.rar

You can get both downloads at:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Credits, Acknowledgements and Thank You's:

Kylan, for letting me use some of the pics you've found on the net.
fanta_a, for your german unitpics, which inspired me to find more german WWI pics on the internet.

SirCentipede said:
Finally it's here:
After several weeks of sporadic work, I've now gathered all the pics which let issue a final and complete german unitpics.rar.

Also there is a german model.csv-file included with german model-names corresponding to my pictures.
Simply open the included germanmodels.csv and c&p the names into you original models.csv found in you Paradox Interactive\1914\config folder.
Great! Thanks for the files! :cool:

Unfortunately the germanmodels.csv file is missing the ";;;;;;;;;;X " at the end of each line, so it cannot be simply c&p into models.csv (HoI refuses to even start if those characters are missing).
I'm adding the missing characters in now....can't wait! :D

- j

jrb001 said:
Great! Thanks for the files! :cool:

Unfortunately the germanmodels.csv file is missing the ";;;;;;;;;;X " at the end of each line, so it cannot be simply c&p into models.csv (HoI refuses to even start if those characters are missing).
I'm adding the missing characters in now....can't wait! :D

- j

Yeah, i know... thank you for reminding me.

I've updated the file, here's the Link:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/7d523efe-3c05-462c-bc62-aa7659da94ca/Germanmodels.csv

or got to:

Btw I'm glad you like the files.
Cheers
SCP

Christensen said:
don't know if this article on the German Marine Infantry Division in 1914 can be of use to you... it's in Danish: http://www.chakoten.dk/cgi-bin/fm.cgi?n=880

Thank you, what a very good find, as I'm especially interested in the German Navy of WWI, but unfortunately i can't read any danish. Nevertheless there were some excellent marine infantry pics on the page. So i quickly converted them to HoI bitmaps as a thanx for your information and for anyone who's interested in using them:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/180b75e1-ce11-4c6c-9e32-ad34aa0a92a5/MarineDivisionPics.rar

or:

SCP