• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Then I'd suggest an Alliance of the More Secular states of the Middle East that have a relation close to Israel.

So Turkey, Egypt? Maybe. Call it the Retenu Alliance or something (Retenu was an ancient empire located in the Levant where Canaan had or will be) But it would work mostly. Since Turkey is extremely Secular and Israel at least tries to be.

QUERY: Why invade Yugoslavia? It was completly neutral, and was never in Warsaw pact, and further more allways had warm relations with west.

QUERY: Why invade Yugoslavia? It was completly neutral, and was never in Warsaw pact, and further more allways had warm relations with west.

Most likely because of this part:

acting in concert with various separatist and insurgent groups in Eastern Europe

The crackdowns may have accelerated the RL breakup of Yugoslavia, so perhaps the Pro-War Faction took advantage of it.

Well I'm assuming no Theocracy other than Persia and that Iraqi/Arabian one exist their currently. So Maybe Egypt and a Syrian-Union could have made a deal with Israel. Such as one returning it to it's 1967 borders by Progressive leaders brought on by Peaceful revolutions.

just and opinion though

I don't think that Republic of the Crescent (Mesopotamia plus Arabia) is theocracy. It's probably still ruled by secular Baathist regime of Saddam Hussein, judging from the description. If Saddam is still in power, this also means rivalry with Iran.

Indeed, the Republic of the Crescent is not a theocracy. It is very much as Asalto described, though they have played off of religious extremism somewhat.

I hope the UK would join the European Dream, by diplomacy or by force, and forever abolish the Imperial measurement system :p

"Can I have a pint, mate?"

"A what!?"

Indeed. The very word pint, shall be cause to be imprisoned! :p

Go Europe!

Thanks!

Then I'd suggest an Alliance of the More Secular states of the Middle East that have a relation close to Israel.

So Turkey, Egypt? Maybe. Call it the Retenu Alliance or something (Retenu was an ancient empire located in the Levant where Canaan had or will be) But it would work mostly. Since Turkey is extremely Secular and Israel at least tries to be.

Interesting suggestions, but we'll have to see whether they are correct.

Most likely because of this part:

acting in concert with various separatist and insurgent groups in Eastern Europe

The crackdowns may have accelerated the RL breakup of Yugoslavia, so perhaps the Pro-War Faction took advantage of it.

By 1991, Yugoslavia was undergoing a great deal of troubles and while in our timeline it took until July I believe for conflict to break out with the Slovenian and Croatian Independence Wars - here, they erupted somewhat earlier with the aid of the Italian army.

The main force behind this was a stronger partisan divide within Yugoslavia in this time line, with political sympathies leaning towards the Warsaw Pact in the face of a massive European build up and fears within the Pro-War block that any invasion of Eastern Europe, would be answered by involvement from Yugoslavia on behalf of the Warsaw Pact.

General Strategic Review
Staff Meeting of Lieutenant General Hans Jaeger

Hans.png

euflag.jpg
~ Classified ~
euflag.jpg

world-maybecopy.gif

Map of Eurasia - Intelligence Placement of Divisions Accurate as of 03/05/10.

"Now then Sir. The Indian sub-continent is one of the more volatile places in the world. Ever since the proclamation of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, and her involvement with the Islamic Republic of Iran in fueling terrorist attacks within India and places across the globe, namely Sudan, the Republic of the Crescent, Indonesia, and Israel, tensions have sky rocketed. This isn't helped by the recent invasion of Bhutan by Indian forces, or the ongoing civil war in Sri Lanka."

india-first.jpg

Map of the Indian Sub-Continent - Intelligence Placement of Divisions Accurate as of 03/05/10.

"Now then, India. The name-sake of the region, and home to over 1 billion people and the largest democracy in the world. The President Avul Pakir Jainu-... has a very long name." The Colonel said, trailing off in thought. He looked back up and caught a glimpse of Jaeger's stare.

ind-first-leaders-2.jpg

"The President of India has advocated for India to take on the role of a superpower, now that it has one of the largest economies in the world. Unfortunately, China and all of her neighbours are consistently disrupting his efforts whenever he attempts to exert influence. Whether this trend will continue, is something that the EIB is watching very closely. Word is that they are also co-operating heavily with the Russians in military fields. That said, a Moscow-New Delhi pact is unlikely at this point. Especially, given Russia's recent association with China and Iran, who pass along weapons to Pakistan."

"Regardless, the EIB expects them to start flexing their muscles, if only as a warning to China. Whether that means an Invasion of Pakistan, or Intervention in Sri Lanka, or anything else is unknown at this time."

pak-first-leaders.jpg

"So then, Pakistan. She is India's chief enemy, though by no means capable of rivaling her. Much of her military life was spent in the conquest of Afghanistan, for which she has little to show. To counter that however, she bypasses the Indian Army completely, funding Insurgent Movements in Kashmir and all over India. She is also heavily involved, from what EIB can gather, in the funding of militant groups in the Middle East, from the Prophet's Revolutionary Army inside the Republic of the Crescent to Hamas in Lebanon, and the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. Essentially she has a hand in every pot. Not to mention a few small groups in Indonesia. Nothing on the same scale, mind you."

"I assume the rivalry of the two states extends beyond their own borders?" Jaeger said, interested to push the conversation onwards.

"Yes Sir. Intelligence thinks that Indian Special Forces have been operating in Bangladesh for some time, disrupting Pakistani Intelligence operations to assassinate members of the government, and to increase the presence of Islamic Extremists.

T-90_main_battle_tank_Indian_army_India_001.jpg

Indian Army T-90 Tank involved in War Games.

"Pakistani diplomats have also been noted to have increased their meetings with officials from Myanmar, possibly trying to organize a secret alliance against India in case of war. The Indians seem to have picked up on this as well, conducting several mock-warfare operations in the area to dissuade any aggression."

"Sri Lanka is still embroiled in warfare. No one's to sure as to how it will be solved. Everyone knows that India is watching closely, however."

Colonel Vasquez took a final look at the map, thinking of anything he had missed. Apparently satisfied with himself, Jaeger watched as he walked towards another map on the wall, this time on the opposite side of the room.

mideast-first-1.jpg

Map of the Near East - Intelligence Placement of Divisions Accurate as of 03/05/10.

"And that, brings us to the Middle East, or the Near East, as the EIB labels it. Regardless, we are looking at perhaps the singular place in the world where you never, ever want to be. The Islamic Republic of Iran expanded into the Caucasus back in the Summer War, seizing the oil fields of Baku to counter the massive expansion of Saddam Hussein's oil empire. That hasn't exactly worked though. It simply can't make up for the near monopoly of Saddam's forces on the world oil market."

per-first-leaders.jpg
roc-first-leaders.jpg

(Saudi flag kept for the ROC due to lack of an alternative. If someone has ideas, I'm open to discuss them.)

"That has lead Iran to be one of the more powerful players in the market of course, as everyone turns to Iran when the ROC and Saddam begin to drive up prices, giving Iran an economic boost, and forcing down the price of oil. Canada too, and Russia have benefited from this, though Canada has been reluctant to ramp up its oil production due to external and internal pressure."

"Iran has one of the larger forces in the region, though it is military dominated by the Republic of the Crescent. Besides them, Israel is the heavy hitter but nobody expects them to last long in a war with the ROC or Iran. The sudden change in power in the early 90s however, did of course leave some interesting changes in the politics of the region. It lead to competing support for Israel in the region, an arms race that is still going on between the United States and ourselves, and actually managed to unite part of the region into the Middle Eastern Defence Initiative."

Israelflg2.gif

Israel is the driving force behind the Middle Eastern Defence Initiative, consisting of Egypt and Jordan, while having Turkey as an observer member.

"Consisting of Israel, Jordan and to a lesser extent Egypt, with observer status held by Turkey, it is profoundly shifting the attitude of the region from anti-Israel, to a more secular political viewpoint of uniting against the power of the ROC and Iran. That hasn't changed anything inside the politics of Israel however, except that now the nations around her tend to ignore it."

"Another growing force in the region, is the Syria-Lebanon-Iran Tripartite which is fueling resistance groups and extremism within the ROC and across the region. The United States of course, monitors and tries to keep things at bay in the region with her base around Abdali, given by Saddam Hussein in thanks for their continued support in the Iran-Iraq War, though EIB suspects it was simply a bribe to not intervene in his subjugation of Arabia while granting America world prestige, and regional influence."

180235.jpg

The ongoing presence of UN troops and ongoing tensions with Greece and Italy over Cyprus has prevented Turkish Membership in the MEDI.

"Moving more towards Europe now, we see Cyprus. It is a major headache for Turkey as she continually battles diplomatically and even sometimes militarily with the Greco-Italian Alliance force control of the North. This is obviously, I feel, why she has only been granted observer status within the MEDI. They don't want a war with a European power."

"Back South in North Africa, we have the ongoing Libyan, Egyptian rivalry. It is really next to nothing in importance, but Gaddafi is simply trying to distract his people from the harsh reality of their daily lives. He's been claiming lately that Tunisia is a part of an Egyptian plot but that's as far as things have gone so far. I'll update you as the situation changes."

Jaeger reviewed all the information again in his head. A lot to divulge. "Thank you, Colonel. You are dismissed." He said, returning Vasquez's salute as he left the room.

Yay a secular alliance.

And say what you want about manpower but Israel should be considerably ahead of the ROC in Military tech-juts saying...

But! I want to know did Canada gain any ground in the Summer war? or did we end up useless like in most other wars after WW2?

Take a look at that India, with their massive IC and their unmentionable President they'll put a decent fight, all right.
Also, kudos for the secular alliance, at least Israel has some friendly neighbors. Hopefully Turkey won't drag them into a pointless war with the Europeans.

The ROC seems to be in a slightly bad position concerning religious politics. The Shia should have a majority over the Sunni, and this would mean that the Sunni leadership would need to crack down on religious terrorism a lot. Possibly a massive bomb against world peace.

Yay a secular alliance.

And say what you want about manpower but Israel should be considerably ahead of the ROC in Military tech-juts saying...

But! I want to know did Canada gain any ground in the Summer war? or did we end up useless like in most other wars after WW2?

Israel is getting her fair share of a boost.

As for Canada, we gained a fair amount of air and naval forces with some additional ground troops in this timeline's more fragile and volatile world situation. As for what we did in the Summer War, well I'll get into that in my update on North America and Europe.

Also, I contend that we have never been useless - just mostly unrecognized for our service. :p

Take a look at that India, with their massive IC and their unmentionable President they'll put a decent fight, all right.
Also, kudos for the secular alliance, at least Israel has some friendly neighbors. Hopefully Turkey won't drag them into a pointless war with the Europeans.

India is being designed as a game changer in this AAR. Depending on which side they join it will heavily change the course of the coming war. Or wars depending on how things play out.

Israel and the other members of the MEDI share your concern. That is why Turkey is only an observer member.

The ROC seems to be in a slightly bad position concerning religious politics. The Shia should have a majority over the Sunni, and this would mean that the Sunni leadership would need to crack down on religious terrorism a lot. Possibly a massive bomb against world peace.

Peace continues to elude the Middle East, even here.

Any hopes of integration for Austria, Italy and the Czechs?

Interesting stuff, but I question how you have set up Saddam's RoC. Why did he relocate the capital to Riyadh? Wouldn't saddam hussein want to keep the capital in Baghdad? He may now own a lot of the middle east, but hes still an Iraqi leader, its hard to think he would want to leave Baghdad to settle in the capital of a former rival state. As for the flag, wouldn't the Iraqi flag make more sense?

Any hopes of integration for Austria, Italy and the Czechs?

We'll have to see how things play out, but I have some things in the works.

Interesting stuff, but I question how you have set up Saddam's RoC. Why did he relocate the capital to Riyadh? Wouldn't saddam hussein want to keep the capital in Baghdad? He may now own a lot of the middle east, but hes still an Iraqi leader, its hard to think he would want to leave Baghdad to settle in the capital of a former rival state. As for the flag, wouldn't the Iraqi flag make more sense?

The relocation to Riyadh was left out of accidental neglect on the part of the event coder ...
For the Flag however, I was interested if anyone following this had wanted to design one or could come up with one they would like to see flying over Arabia and Mesopotamia. It would need to be in the style of MDS however. I thought I had mentioned this before, but if not then that is my mistake.

I'll repeat it in the next update in case someone misses this, but if anyone wants to or can design a flag for the Republic of the Crescent, I am very much open to suggestions for use. If not, then I will change it to the flag of Iraq.

General Strategic Review
Staff Meeting of Lieutenant General Hans Jaeger

Hans.png

euflag.jpg
~ Classified ~
euflag.jpg

world-maybecopy.gif

Map of Eurasia - Intelligence Placement of Divisions Accurate as of 03/05/10.

Jaeger looked at the maps arrayed around the room for what he hoped would be the last time. He had grown quite tired of the Colonel's constant briefings, as interesting and intriguing some of the information he had was. None of it seemed to be too revealing to Jaeger. Not the sort of cataclysmic or earth shattering news he had hoped he would be privy too upon promotion. Still though, there was a fair amount of enthusiasm coming from the Colonel, and surely, he would uncover more throughout his career.

"I don't need to tell you what this is a map of sir." Colonel Vasquez began.

europe-first.jpg

Map showing Europe, and the plans for the repositioning and re-organization of the Armed Forces of the European Union.

"In Eastern Europe, we have, of course, the Russian Federation. She currently has one of the largest Armed Forces in all of the world and her economy is undergoing a thriving boom, largely from major foreign investments - a good deal of which are coming from us, mostly German and French companies eager to exploit their resources. The rise of oil prices and President Putin's economic investments have also provided a boost to their economy, and have given him massive popularity numbers. Whether these figures are accurate or if they have been altered is still a matter of debate however."

rus-first-leaders.jpg

"Part of his new foreign policy however, is coming into direct conflict with ours. He's stirring up trouble in the Balkans. Serbia is looking ready to annex Kosovo and Montenegro, while Croatia is looking at Slovenia with greedy eyes. Further north, he's broken the back of Belarus and have brought them almost entirely into the Russian fold, he just needs to make it official. The EIB thinks that he has also pushed for increased funding towards the RIRA and a number of smaller terrorist groups within Europe and in South America."

russian-president-putin3.jpg

President Putin, Leader of the Federation of Russia.

"Moving west, we have the Eastern European Coalition of Sovereign States - the name chosen in direct confrontation of Russia, and nowadays, applicable to ourselves. With it's headquarters divided between Poland and Kiev, the organization is naturally, fiercely against any sort of Russian expansion in Europe. Given the membership of Rumania, Hungary and Slovakia in the organization, and the recent withdrawal of Belarus from the organization, anti-Russian feelings are incredibly high."

"Recent ambitions put their greatest desires to gaining Bulgaria as a member state, alongside Czechoslovakia and Bosnia. Bulgaria and Czechoslovakia have been staunchly neutral however, refusing to involve themselves with the organization. Whether the recent break up of relations between Turkey and Albania will bring Albania into their fold as well, is unknown, but it is a reasonable assumption." The Colonel said.

Flag-Pins-Italy-Greece.jpg

"In Southern Europe, we have the Greco-Italian Alliance. Created in the aftermath of the Summer War, Italy and Greece drifted towards each other politically as NATO collapsed and regional powers competed for influence. Italy, as the stronger of the two, sought an alliance after what she perceived as a betrayal with her total lack of reward from her almost single handed Invasion of Yugoslavia. Greece was all too willing to accept, given Turkey's new found interest in taking all of Cyprus. Since then, the two nations have remained staunchly independent, but closely reliant on one another. Rumours are saying that they want Austria in the alliance to counter the growing influence of our European Union, but their attention is mostly focused on the Mediterranean. "

"In northern Europe, we have the Nordic Union, formed, much like the Greco-Italian Alliance, out of the perceived betrayal by the EU after the Summer War, when Finland was left in Russian hands. Only recently have relations begun to improve, though they still heavily garrison our border. The NU however, stretches from Norway and Sweden to Iceland and Greenland, though she has hardly garrisoned Iceland, or Greenland. Generally though, they don't involve themselves in world politics unless it involves the Russians and Finland or the Baltic states."

eu-first-leaders.jpg

The cabinet of the European Union.

"That brings us to the European Union itself. We have interests spanning the globe, from French holdings in the Pacific, to European South American territories, and more French obligations in Africa. Generally, we also involve ourselves in events around the world to a fair degree, but I don't particularly need to elaborate on that. I'm sure you know enough about your own country and her interests Lieutenant General."

uk-first-leaders-1.jpg

"Britain, is also of some concern to us. Although Tony Blair has done great things to improve relations, the American President rarely gives us a chance to breath easy with Britain, always pushing for provocative action. Thankfully though, Blair has kept Bush in check. The EIB suspects that their Coalition of Nations, the successor to the United Nations Alliance of the Summer War and NATO, is eager to expand influence in the Middle East and Asia, and they don't think that an invasion of Iran or the Crescent would be out of their capability. Still though, it would be a lengthy and costly conflict which makes it unlikely. Domestically though, Blair is having a great deal of trouble with the resurgent RIRA. They recently sabotaged a number of his peace efforts, but he has still been marginally successful."

america-first.jpg

Map showing North America

"Finally, we have North America. Obviously, dominated by the United States of America. Above them however, we have Canada. Lead by Prime Minister Jean Chretien, Canada is plagued by a resurgent FLQ. From what I can dig up, we aren't funding it, but it is causing a lot of friction between us. Their recent advances in naval and air exercises into NU territory has also stirred up a fair amount of controversy, not least of all when they guided their aircraft carrier into the Kennedy Channel(1) and launched a full scale exercise in the area. Of course, they haven't yet returned the Island chain to Nordic control and it is unlikely to be resolved anytime soon."

usa-first-leaders.jpg

"So here we are, the United States of America. Superpower Number One. There isn't much to be said that the public doesn't know. They are getting involved in every squabble around the globe and, lead by George W. Bush, they seem more eager than ever to take on the role of World Police. Of course, we want that position as well. Some people want us to fight them, others want us to join them. A good number of people however think that we have to play according to the situation, whatever it is, and not make any permanent agreement."

"They are the head of the Coalition of Nations, consisting of themselves, the United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland and Australia. Word is that they are looking to expand membership into Asia and the Middle East however. Their Coalition is currently the premier world power, capable of outnumbering and outgunning any other force on the planet."

"The United States is also home to the world's largest navy, and one of the most advanced air forces and land forces. Whatever they lack in numbers, they make up for in technology. That is all the time we have for today sir, if you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them."

_________________~ Further Reading ~ ___________________​

1 - The Franklin Channel is a real location in the Arctic Circle and is an actual point of tension between Canada and Denmark. Here however, the dispute is magnified ten fold, and applied to all the islands within the Franklin Channel.

Last edited:
Zapatero? Bloody hell, we are doomed!

What is the IC or the Union?

If the Eastern Europeans are as anti-russian as they sound to be, and considering Russia's recent surge of expansionism, the most sensible thing for them would be to improve ties with Western Europe. In a smaller scale, the same can be said with Croatia and Slovenia regarding Serb expansionism.
Also, it's good to know that Blair prevents Bush from doing something stupid

If the Eastern Europeans are as anti-russian as they sound to be, and considering Russia's recent surge of expansionism, the most sensible thing for them would be to improve ties with Western Europe. In a smaller scale, the same can be said with Croatia and Slovenia regarding Serb expansionism.
Also, it's good to know that Blair prevents Bush from doing something stupid

Keep in mind though that the Eastern Europeans are fiercely independent, and that the European Union wants to integrate more nations into its fold. In that case, the Coalition of Nations is probably a better choice.
As for Blair, he does his best and is mostly backed by Australia, Canada and Ireland to keep Bush in check - but Canada is becoming more provocative.

Looks like enlargement won't be easy on this one.

Not too easy no. I will be sure to keep it interesting though.