• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
*Tick tock tick tock*

This is just getting better and better......

Thanks! It's just getting started.

I love this!; two little words meaning that the Russians are moving industrial amounts of dung next to a huge fan
It keeps getting better

I like the way you worded that.

Such blasphemy! Japan and Korea to join EU!

No, you misunderstand. Japan and Korea are pulling together to form a monetary union with the Philippines.

Armed Services Bureau
Scheduled Meeting with Lieutenant General Hans Jaeger
1021 Paris Time
April 19 2004

His office was quiet now, after the chaos of moving back in from his exploits in the fields and mountains of the Balkans, and from his exploits in the cities and deserts of Morocco. It felt like years ago that he was here, and yet it was kept as clean and organized as it always was. The only thing different was the stack of papers in his mailbox, the messages on his answering machine, the backlog of emails on his computer, and the mementos mounted on his wall. Perhaps things were very different. Perhaps he was very different. He wouldn't realize if he was, surely. A man insane does not doubt his sanity, after all.

It did not matter. On his wall, two viewing boxes hung, displaying a shell identified only by a year and a country written in gold lettering on their white interiors. A rifle round, collected from the abandoned posts of his enemies. They had joined only two others, to double his count. The first, was a shell he had taken from his deployment with the German Army as a member of UNIFIL (1), unofficially of course. He smiled at the memory. Staying aboard the German Naval detachment for the mission, directing KSK operatives at night, and guiding them back before dawn. Those strikes on Hezbollah were among his favourite. The second, was a shell taken in Warsaw while he had been commanding troops at the front. He had walked the city while the fighting raged in Belarus and come across the shells in an abandoned and decrepit radio station. Looking back, it reminded him of some of the buildings he had left in Beograd. Now, they were joined by a Moroccan shell, and a Serbian shell.

prop_1095.jpg

1979, 1991, 2003, 2004. He stared at them for a moment, his mind drifting in the silence.

A knock at the door pulled him from his thoughts.

"Sir, may I come in?" Asked a man at the door, snapping a salute.

The man, Jaeger thought, looked rather strained. His face was tired and his eyes were dull.

"Of course, Colonel. Take a seat." He said, gesturing to the brown leather chair across from his slim black desk. Jaeger himself turned to his own chair, and pulled it out to sit in it. The Colonel, meanwhile, fell in his chair. "So, Colonel Templer, what is this about exactly?"

Without skipping a beat, the man responded. "I am resigning from my position. I have the documentation ready. All I need is your approval, Sir." He pulled out a black leather binder with a cluster of papers held in it's trappings, sealed away in a brown envelope.

"Can you explain to me why you are coming so suddenly? My men normally have the decency to give me a notice before they drop the papers in my lap." Jaeger said.

"Sir, my wife is in the Hospital. I left her to serve my country. I need my country to let me go back to her." He explained.

"Colonel, you volunteered to go into Morocco, your country didn't ask that of you, not after what you had been through. You offered to do it for your country, for it's people." Jaeger said.

"I shouldn't have been allowed in."

"So you're blaming your country for your decision?"

"I shouldn't have been allowed to make that decision."

Jaeger paused momentarily, thinking to himself. When he finally spoke, it was with a calculated malice that froze the Colonel.

"You blame your country for what you did to those civilians?"

"To who-"

2008-04-burning-mosque-karbala-iraq.jpg

"You know exactly who I'm talking about. At the Mosque in Rabat. The one your men burned to the ground. The one you filled with holes."

The Colonel's face froze in horror.

"I know what you did. The whole fucking Army knows what you did. In an otherwise perfect campaign, you shamed yourself, your nation and your wife."

Jaeger stopped and let his words sink into the Colonel, digging through him like a knife.

"Don't turn this on me, we had intel that said-"

"You acted when you shouldn't have. You acted out of Revenge and you had it! You know what you did, and you're running from it." Jaeger said, snatching the binder from his desk.

He flung it open, and tore a pen from his top drawer.

"Well, Colonel" he began. "I suggest you keep running, and take your wife with you." He said, signing his name on the dotted line and pushing it towards the broken man before him.

Adam rose from his chair, picking the binder off the table as he did so, and struggled to the door. Without a word, he walked through the offices and cubicles of the Armed Services Bureau. Without a word, He walked down the stairs and through the exit. Without a word, he walked to the alley across the street, and he threw up.

____________________________________​

Nouvelles d'Union Fédérales
Broadcasting from Paris, District of France, European Union

fb95c00870139bb4_Picture_3.png

"Bonjour et - welcome to Federal Union News. It is 9:01 on April the 20 of 2004, and we greet you this morning with breaking news. After lifting the media black out over Operation Pasture Orange, the international community and the United Nations are decrying the widespread destruction and merciless pounding suffered by government forces, and the decision to place the former-Moroccan King on trial along with members of his government. The Ministry of Defence has refused to comment on the issue, while President Vasanta has brushed off the accusations as exaggerations at a recent press conference over the final stages of the Iberian Transportation Project. Chancellor Gerhard Schroder however, called the accusations a 'wake up call' and that the President should bring more accountability to the Ministry of Defence. at a recent Economic Meeting with the Russian Federation."

libyavstunisia.jpg

"Meanwhile in North Africa, the Libyan Revolutionary Army pushed on with it's offensive into Southern Tunisia as refugees fled the area. Moammar Gaddafi has ignored calls from the International Community, members of the Arab League, and regional rival Egypt to end the campaign. United Nations officials have refrained from condemning the Libyan Invasion after China vetoed a Security Council Resolution to call for an end to the conflict, and to initiate negotiations between both sides."

libya_bomb.jpg

Libyan Revolutionary Army continued shelling against para-military and military targets in Tunisia as it began it's invasion in earnest

"In defence of it's veto, China said that every nation has the right to self defence and that, based on Libyan claims of shelling by Tunisian forces, Libya is only exercising that right. Meanwhile, China has made 160 Billion Euros from weapons sales and industrial development programs throughout the region, according to a report issued yesterday by the European Institute for Strategic Studies. According to the same report, Libyan oil is sold to China under market value to consolidate the friendship."

fallofindo.jpg

"Turning farther East, Indonesia has pulled back forces after the failure of it's offensive against Maoist rebels in it's western Aceh province. Analysts predict that the Revolutionary Indonesian Movement, already entrenched in Aceh and with widespread support and cells throughout the rest of the country, will exploit this most recent victory to attract recruits and bolster it's threat to the elected government that has failed to respond decisively."

outragephilippines.jpg

"And in the Philippines, growing popular outrage over the Treaty of Seoul, is being fueled by a recent surge of nationalist tendencies and opposition politicians, eager to capitalize on the 'abandonment' of their country to a revived 'Japanese Empire' for the coming election. While President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has failed to handle the surge of nationalism, and the opposition politicians in an effective manner, analysts are uncertain if it is enough to shuffle the political scene in the Philippines, and perhaps bring an end to the Easo, before it has begun widespread circulation."

queenelizabethinfrance.jpg

"In other news, the Queen of Britain, Elizabeth II began her state visit to France in honour of the Centennial Anniversary of the Entente Cordiale. Originally scheduled for the 8th of this month, the Queen's visit was postponed after her husband fell ill. Weather and Sports after the break."

1 - United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon

Excellent update (as always).
It's going the exciting to see if Europe will intervene in North Africa. Big part of the good will with the international community must be spent now eh?
And a Chancellor and Senate who intervenes in the ministry of defence could be dangerous for Vasanta.

With Philippine Nationalism on the rise, will the EF support their claims to Sabah?

Anyways, it's a pretty great AAR.

European Intelligence Bureau
Operation Myrmidon - Christopher Liberius (Recurring Character)
0010 Moscow Time
April 23 2004

"What we need is a plan of action!" yelled Francois Duval as he sat in the corner chair with his dress pants and white shirt. It was a fine complement to his greased back, black hair and blue eyes. As far as anyone else could tell though, he was fresh out of the Intelligence Academy. He looked around the dimly light room, it's curtains pulled shut to hide from the faint aura of lights from the streets of Moscow. The room itself was just as sad and depressing as could be expected of a safe house on the doorstep of the enemy. The carpet was a haggard beige and the wall was adorned in a faded brown paint, pulling itself back and off the rough Russian craftsmanship.

Christopher stared back at him, and waited for Arthur's response. It came with the usual gusto. "This is Moscow, not some back end town in the Caucasus! We can't just go crashing into government offices and walk back out and across the border! What you're suggesting is insane!"

"We can't just sit here and let them play with the Union! We can't let them pull off another bombing or another proxy war to weaken Europe." Francois said, reiterating his point made a thousand times before.

Gru_emblem.png

The symbol of the GRU.

"And we can't take forceful action against the FSB or the GRU without destroying years of work to get us here! It would do more harm than good." Christopher interjected.

"But we need more information. If this Pale Khan is connected to the Omega Cell, then we have to find him, capture him, and then debrief him." said Pavel Koslov. Pavel, himself a Russian turncoat serving as Secretary to the Minister of Defence, was one of the oldest of the group. He had been involved with European Intelligence since before the Summer War, feeding West German Intelligence every scrap of information he could get, although then it had been hardly noticeable. "And besides, I doubt that we'll get much more information from their bank books." He said, glancing one of his brown eyes at Christopher as a strand of brown hair fell down beside his face.

"Their bank book was the first scrap of information we've had on this subject in months. We're lucky I managed to get the information I did. Things are getting worse at their building every day. The more I ask to have access to their secure files, the more they expect me to save them money. It won't be long before they get suspicious, if I have to keep this up." Christopher fired back.

"And it's not like Ratzel to tell his men to hold back." Koslov conceded, adjusting the brown leather jacket over his burgundy sweater as he leaned back in the chair.

"Either way, it doesn't change anything. We still can't make a move against them. Not of that size." Arthur said, leaning back against the wall in his khaki pants and grey t-shirt. He brought his hand up to his forehead. Christopher wondered for a moment if the stress was getting to him. There was a reason that Cell Chiefs were rotated annually, if not sooner.

"It wouldn't do us any good if we did launch a raid anyway. We'd be dead in 6 hours, and the Omega Cell isn't in Russia." Christopher said.

"What makes you think that?" Francois pressed.

"The Omega Cell is mobile. It has to be. It's one of the reasons we can't find it. I wonder if the Russians even know where it is half the time."

"That's only guesswork." Arthur refuted.

"If the Omega Cell is mobile, then why wouldn't they be here? In Russia, I mean? The country's big enough to lose yourself in a day." Koslov asked.

"I don't know why, but most of their monetary exchanges with the GRU are converted currency." Christopher responded.

"Converted from what?" Koslov pressed.

"I don't know. It wasn't recorded."

"But if they're setting up safe houses in the Middle East and Africa, well that's got to be a clue right?"

"It's possible." Arthur conceded.

"Possible?"

"Russia has mostly kept funding limited to Western Europe, South America and her two biggest rivals, China and the United States. An expansion in Africa and the Middle East could just mean that they're branching out."

"And it would help to explain their budget increase." Christopher added.

"Building a network and setting up half a dozen safe houses doesn't double the budget of the GRU." Koslov said in disbelief.

"If you're just expanding, wouldn't you improve your existing networks rather than create new ones?" Francois questioned.

"Look, the point is that we don't know anything for sure. This is all conjecture, and either way we still can't get to that information." Arthur said.

"What about the Philippines? If the Pale Khan goes around stirring up trouble, then couldn't he be a part of that?"

majorunrestphilippines.jpg

"What interest does Russia have in the Philippines?" Arthur mocked.

"If we go by that logic, then he's been to Libya and Indonesia lately, and the Russian's have deeper pockets than we thought." Koslov countered.

"The only thing that's clear is that a raid on the GRU is suicide. Even a night raid would get us all killed." Christopher said.

"Ratzel wouldn't approve it anyway. There would be too much at stake if things went wrong, which they would." Arthur concluded.

"What if we didn't raid the GRU?" Francois asked, looking up from his moment of contemplation.

"That's exactly what we're discussing." Koslov sighed.

"No, I mean if WE didn't raid the GRU? What if someone else raided them?"

"Where are you-"

"Hold on Koslov, let him speak." Christopher said, bracing himself against the table in front of himself.

"If we raid the GRU, then it's an act of war and we're all dead men, right? Well what if the GRU was implicated in a plot against Russia? A plot that the FSB got wind of?"

54_1.jpg

The logo of the FSB​

"How do we implicate the GRU in a plot against Russia?" Arthur scoffed. Koslov stared at the others in disbelief.

"This is mad, even for you Europeans." He said, half jokingly.

"I can do it." Christopher whispered, before the hail of questions from around the room.

"You what?"

"You can?"

"You're mad."

"Think about it" he began, "I have some access to the GRU's funds and data records. If I can get access to their classified information, then I can change it."

"You'd need the codes to do that." Arthur interrupted.

"They don't have codes." Koslov said.

"What? Everyone has codes." Francois scoffed.

"Not us Russians. Your numerical codes originated in the West. Some of them during the Cold War, and some of them before that. Either way, it still puts Russia at odds with your system. The Russians use an algorithm to generate a password specific to each day of the year, that is never repeated, and never needs to be recorded. It's an ingenious system."

"So you know the algorithm?" Francois asked.

"Not at all." he laughed. "I just know what the Minister of Defence tells me."

There was a silence in the room for some time as each man thought his way through the obstacles and the possibilities of such a dangerous and daunting task. They had to find an algorithm that was nigh intelligible, to get a code that was nigh indecipherable, to implicate an organization that was nigh untouchable.

"So our plan's already dead in the water." Arthur sighed.

"No. Not so long as we can get that Algorithm. If we get that, then we can get the code. If we get the code-" Christopher trailed off.

"Then the FSB raids the GRU?" Francois asked.

"And we find the Omega Cell." Koslov said, raising his hands with palms up momentarily, before letting them fall back at his side.

"But we have to get the Algorithm. That's what we're saying, isn't it?" Arthur asked, looking at Christopher, his arms locked into place on the table as he ran through it in his head. "And not only that, it means that you have to be with the FSB teams." He added, pointing a finger at Francois.

"Me? Why?"

"You're our only contact in the FSB. We need you in the operation to make sure we get what we need."

"Then I need to be in the operation as well." Christopher said, pushing himself back from the table, to look up at Arthur. "If Francois goes in with the FSB alone, then he isn't going to know what he's looking for."

"So we tell him what to look for." Koslov answered.

network-security-600x423.jpg

"No, it's not like pulling a folder marked 'Omega Cell' out of a drawer, or a filing cabinet. It's in the encrypted system, and that means that there are going to be hundreds, if not thousands of files just like it in an electronic database. He'd have to download them all to make sure he got it, and we don't have time to sort through that." He paused momentarily. "I know it adds a measure of risk to the operation but-"

"A measure? a measure?" Do you know how bloody insane that is? We make a plot for the FSB to storm the headquarters of the GRU, and assuming we manage to get to the stage where they kick down the door and arrest each other, and not us, you want to throw yourself into the mix?!" Arthur screamed.

"This is absolutely insane." Koslov reiterated.

"If Francois is the one who arrests me, then we have nothing to worry about. Besides, I'm the only one who can get to the room before the FSB kick down the door, and I know the system. None of you have any idea what it's like." Christopher said, hiding his own reservations about the task. It was absolutely insane.

"That is one giant fucking 'if'." Francois cursed.

"Ratzel isn't going to like this at all."

"Then don't tell him." Koslov suggested. "If we don't get the information, then we'll never find the Omega Cell. We have to get that information."

"But the risk of-" Arthur was interrupted as Koslov started up again.

"The best scenario is that we all come out of this alive, and then go to your Union and part ways, where we settle down on government salaries and relax for the rest of our lives. The worst scenario is that we're all dead by the end of this, and if that happens, well, it's not our problem anymore."

The four men considered his words carefully.

"I'll send a request to the EIB for information on the Russian algorithm system. If they don't have anything, then we'll all have to find out what we can. In the meantime, Koslov and I will begin working to implicate members of the government. I can get to the Ambassador to Britain, and he can get to some of the more nationalist generals in the company of the Minister of Defence. Francois, you can start checking FSB files on the GRU and members of the government for those that the FSB is concerned about. We'll put together a list of conspirators and then you have to tie them all to the GRU, without implicating the entire organization. We want the Pale Horse and the Omega Cell intact at the end of this." Arthur said harshly, looking square into Christopher's eyes.

"Consider the GRU a traitor's coven." He said, smiling through the reflection of his coffin in Arthur's eyes.

Did you miss me? ;)

Last edited:
Aaaaaand he is back. :D

Sneaky plan formed by Christopher. And any dissent he creates in Russia will give Europe more time to prepare her defenses against the east.

Nouvelles d'Union Fédérales
Broadcasting from Paris, District of France, European Union
August 20 2004

fb95c00870139bb4_Picture_3.png

"Bonjour et - welcome to Federal Union News. It is 9:01 on August 16 of 2004, and after a few troubled weeks, Russia refuses to back down over its International Arms Initiative, announced several weeks ago by the Russian Foreign Ministry. The Initiative has been labelled by many in the UN as being an extremely counter productive measure to peace negotiations in several war torn regions around the world, and the European Foreign Ministry has expressed concern over the participants of the Initiative, as almost a third of the nations involved are under a watch and monitor list. The Kremlin has repeatedly assured the international community that all transactions by the Initiative are entirely legitimate, but professes them as a private matter."

z.hashemi20111223185552153.jpg

"Heightening tensions between Paris and Moscow however, the Russian government announced yesterday that they would be reinstating full strategic deterrence patrols. Earlier this morning, a combined force of Nordic and European Fighter planes escorted a pair of Russian bombers out of Nordic air space in what both governments are calling a severe provocation. The Russian government has not responded to the criticism."

160613525.jpg

"Overseas, the American International Industry Index completed its worldwide ranking of the Industrial power in the world. In first place, once again is the United States with an Industrial ranking of 465 points. Following close behind, the European Union finishes with 438 points while China comes in third with a total of 409 points. Closing the gap, India is ranked at 242 points, and the Russian Federation finishes with 190 points. In sixth place, Japan finishes with 179 points, and in seventh the United Kingdom finishes with 130 points."

american-flag.jpg

"A minor controversy over the ranking has broken out in Asian markets, as Japanese and South Korean business leaders complain that the system only accounts for Japans Industry, rather than the combined industry of both markets, joined by a common currency. The AIII has responded that the continuing unrest and political schism erupting from the Philippines over the East Asian Market Union influenced their decision to account solely for Japans industry in the Index."

fallofindo2.jpg

"And in Indonesia today, unrest has erupted across the nation has Maoist rebels gain steam in their National revolt. After the failed government offensive at Aceh, the Maoist rebellion has grown steadily in power, as foreign governments look more and more towards the conflict to monitor China's future aspirations. While China denies funding and supplying the rebels, the United States and the Indonesian government accuse China of actively supporting the rebellion to further its own geo-political aims. Rumours within Indonesia talk of a march on the Capital in the near future."

"Finally, the Armed Services Bureau announced today that garrison duties of various Army bases around the Mediterranean Sea had been taken over by newly requisitioned garrison forces, freeing up an undisclosed amount of troops for alternate duties. While the Bureau refused to comment on the future assignments of the forces, they did confirm that it was a step towards the continuing safety and security of the European Union."

"My name is Reynold de Burgundy, and that's the state of the world. Weather and Sports, after the break."

Is this thread dead?

Last edited:
Not neccessarily. Writers often encounter something called real life that forces them to continue the AAR later.;)

I shall keep an eye on this thread then

Take a look on Draco's, Pip's or Trekkie's AAR to see how long a good AAR may take.

Or GeneralBT's. Massive work needed!

And some AARs might have pauses of not months, but years. I recently saw an old Rome AAR being resumed after what I think was 3 years.:eek:

Hey guys, apologies about the long delay. I didn't realize that many people were still interested in this AAR after a few months of not writing for it so I set it to rest. That said, it seems like some people have been looking forward to something I didn't deliver. I may only get a few updates out before University hits in September and then it will be sparse at best and gruelling for some time, but I would like to come back swinging while I have some time left. I'll need to catch up on the AAR and refresh my memory on where I was going with this - and pull up my save file - but it shouldn't be too long before I can get something out.

Also - I may kill off a character or so to increase my interest. Some of the characters were tied to real life things that fell apart.

Update say ... by next weekend? I'd aim for Tuesday but I have a number of writing projects on the table at the moment. An online short story, a novel, and an online group writing project - and 2 of which I would like finished by the end of the summer. If anyone's interested, send me a pm and I'll send you a link.