• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(42723)

Field Marshal
Apr 6, 2005
Third round of updates for the naval pack:

This mod changes unit sprites for nearly all ships sprites for HOI2 Doomsday (DD) and Doomsday Armageddon (DDA). Included are all units from earlier naval, BB and CV packs plus new and updated sprites. As always: please report any problems.

Download v3 (updated 14 June 2009):
http://wwwnew.filefront.com/13899334/Ships_v3.zip
(11 MB zip, unzipped ca. 195 MB)

Changes v3:
- nearly all sprites re-rendered, capital ships slightly bigger, added effects for waves and explosions
- recent BB update with new Sov lvl 5 BB Sovietsky Soyuz class included
- new generic submarine sprite

Changes v2:
- changed attack anims of all BB and BC sprites by adding smoke effects to the firing sequences
- Italian BBs reworked, added characteristic red-white markers on the front hull
- added a Soviet lvl 1 BB (Gangut-class)
- added CVLs for Jap (Zuiho), Eng (Hermes), and a generic one (US Bogue-class, since US CVEs were widely used also by other countries)
- included a replacement for generic transport ship

Installation:

- After unzipping, it should create a folder called "gfx". Simply drop the "gfx" folder in your main DD folder "..\HOI Doomsday", it has a sub-folder structure like the game and therefore all files should be automatically moved to the neccessary destination from there, so you should be ready to play then. Be aware that original files will be overwritten.

Preview examples:

Bismarck firing:

New Submarine:

- Note that this is DD/DDA only, esp. due to the inclusion of CVLs. You maybe able to get the other sprites to work somehow in vanilla HOI, but since I only have DD/DDA I unfortunately can't help much with that.

- Be aware that some sprites will appear in your game only if you (or the AI) build the right model (this goes for BBs, for example Yamato class as Jap appears only if you build SHBB) and/or if you group your ships in a certain way (for example CVL sprites aren't displayed when being in a fleet together with CVs or BBs, but they're are visible when grouped with BC, CA, or screens)

- These sprites look best when used with the standard HOI2DD/DDA ocean color. If you modded your game to use another color, you may see artefacts due to the anti-aliasing the anims were rendered with

Last edited:
BeBro i have a problem, i just installed you 2 new sprite packs over GIP0.6, and the super ai mod by teran, and skif. befor i put you sprites in the game loads up fine, when you sprites are added i get an error

Critical error

---palette'gfx\palette\T-BOMBER C-HUN L-1.bmp' not found---

Do you still want to continue?

Abort Retry Ignore

What should i do or what is causing this?

I installed all of these things after a clean install and patched to 1.3a today.

Hawk_345 said:
BeBro i have a problem, i just installed you 2 new sprite packs over GIP0.6, and the super ai mod by teran, and skif. befor i put you sprites in the game loads up fine, when you sprites are added i get an error

Critical error

---palette'gfx\palette\T-BOMBER C-HUN L-1.bmp' not found---

Do you still want to continue?

Abort Retry Ignore

What should i do or what is causing this?

I installed all of these things after a clean install and patched to 1.3a today.
I don't know what it has to do with these sprites (but I'm not BeBro either) but you're missing the palette file for your Hungarian bomber. It may not have to do with these naval sprites at all.

I dont think it has anything to do with the naval sprites, i just figured BeBro would check this 1 more often since its newer.

I know im mising something like that, but what hungarian bomber, i did a fresh install of HOI2DD and patched it and put in those mods, it all worked befor i put the sprites in.

Maybe you could check and see if you have the file it says im missing?

the thing is i dont see anything in the gfx\map\units folder needing a palette for a HUN sprite, same for the bmp folder in the units folder.

maybe i should just press ignor, but its weird, it never hapened before.

Last edited:
Thanks that might do it, but the thing is im not using his minor axis sprites at the moment, as i said it was a clean install, the only sprites i put in was his 2 new packs, thats it.

edit: Just tried it, did not work, same error message again.

Last edited:
Hawk_345 said:
Thanks that might do it, but the thing is im not using his minor axis sprites at the moment, as i said it was a clean install, the only sprites i put in was his 2 new packs, thats it.

edit: Just tried it, did not work, same error message again.
Hm.... that's very strange. You shouldn't need a Hungarian bomber palette if you're only using BeBro's 2 new packs. You should be able to safely ignore it then, unless anyone else has a better solution.

anyway thanks for trying to help me, i will wait till tomorow befor trying anything else, hopefully BeBro might be able to help.

The only other mods i have that afect graphics are GIP0.6 and SKIF, but they worked fine befor the sprites and they worked great with the old sprites befor the updated ones, but then i used all of his sprites, maybe i should install all of them again?. the other mod is for the AI. but all that was put in befor the sprites and it worked then, it only started when the sprites were installed.

Last edited:
Stunning Bebro.

It's amazing that you still have the time to update your sprites while working on those lovely naval icons for SKIF.

One question tough:
Is the german cv sprite in this pack? I don't see it in the preview.

Yes, all other ships are in the pack as well, I just didn#t put examples in the preview pic.

Hawk_345: There seems to be an error in the air units v2 zip, it has some CAS files for HUN which don't belong there. They ask for the HUN palette file but can't fine it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quick solution: go into your game folder ..\Doomsday\gfx\map\units
Scroll down until you reach filenames starting with the "T-CAS" tag.
Remove:
- T-CAS A-STAND C-HUN L-1.spr
- T-CAS A-FIRE C-HUN L-1 D-NE.spr
- T-CAS A-FIRE C-HUN L-1 D-SW.spr
- plus all T-CAS A -WALK spr files containing the C-HUN country tag (should be 8).
These files ask for the palette, when they're gone, the error should not occur anymore. Those who use my minor sprite pack shouldn't experience the problem at all.

I'll provide a corrected zip for the air units asap.

Thanks alot BeBro, i will do that right now, i figured it might be something like that but i wanted to wait to see what you said, i will eventually go back to using all your sprites including those minors, but not yet.

EDIT: yeah its working now, there were a few HUN files in there.

Im just wondering now, are you planning on updating you minor sprites pack along with your MEC, whats next?

Last edited:
Hawk_345 said:
Thanks alot BeBro, i will do that right now, i figured it might be something like that but i wanted to wait to see what you said, i will eventually go back to using all your sprites including those minors, but not yet.

EDIT: yeah its working now, there were a few HUN files in there.

Im just wondering now, are you planning on updating you minor sprites pack along with your MEC, whats next?

Both will be updated, yes. Next probably the minors.

As for U-Boats, no plans for that at the moment. I may come back to the idea, but it's no promise, and even if it will certainly not be that soon....;)