• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
screensave0yb7.png

BeBro, why do the CL sprites in my game come up looking like this, they always do for everycountry i play. is there a fix, has anyone else experienced this. Little yellow dots around the ship and its "static" or "Rough", its nothing like your others.

Looks like a problem with the palette file for CL. Did you use the files from the latest naval sprite pack? I have to check it if there's a prob, I'll post back then.

just tried it, nope still the same problem as i posted befor. was that file suposed to overwrite anything, because it did not when i placed it directly into the palette folder..

i just downloaded the naval pack yesterday from rapidshare. i had to do a new install again.

I actually noticed that yesterday when I was using 100 ships of the IJN to kill one lone CL (actually, the IJN was shore bombarding China, and was attacked by the one Nationalist CL). I just decided that it must be because WWI Chinese ships are very rusty :)

Hm, then I have to look again what the prob is.....I don't have the prob on my installation, so I thought just providing the palette file would solve it. Maybe it's just something completely different....

Oh, and did you install DDA before, then the sprites, or the sprites first?

The software I use is called Cinema4D, a editor/renderer package on par with 3dStudio or similar stuff. But I know from the time when I made units for Civ3 that some people made nice stuff even with freeware tools, so what 3d program you use exactly is not so important as long as you use it well ;)

Hawk: I'm a bit helpless with the prob of the CL, since it works fine on my machine. Could you send me the files for the CL you use?

These are from Doomsday\gfx\map\units
- all files starting with T-LIGHT_CRUISER...

From Doomsday\gfx\map\units\bmp
- as well all files starting with T-LIGHT_CRUISER...

From Doomsday\gfx\palette
- the file T-LIGHT_CRUISER C-MIN L-1.bmp

If you could zip them all together and send them to templar68@web.de I could look into them to see what's going on.

Last edited:
if i get a chance i might be able to send them , but its not life threatning, i can live with the sprite, all i find weird is that i have downloaded them and installed the same pack many times, on clean installs, and it has always hapened so its not just these files, its evrytime i reinstalled them.

IndoEsia45 said:
Thanks for the tutorial BeBro, my 3d software is 'Blender' an open source GNU software.

Never used it, but it should be fine.

Oh and just by skimming through the tutorial I think there are some little errors in there, but overall it's very usefull.

Mistakes I found:

1) Size limit
It is a general convention HoI that each frame of animation for panzer should be 64x56
Dunno about HOI, but in DD and DDA you can use bigger sizes without any problem.

2) Number of files needed for one sprite
There are 11 essential *.spr files to be present for a unit.

Bitmap images of format 256 color BMP are located in GFX\map\units\bmp. As per it's *.spr files, A unit requires 11 of them (refer to the above), each showing it's respective animation..
That works for air and naval units which only need two attack anims in NE and SW direction, one stand anim, and eight move anims (in all directions), makes 11. Land units however need attack anims for each direction too, so here you need more than 11 bmp and spr files.

Well, it's the other way around :)

You have a 3d model of a tank, ship, or whatever first. You animate it (I assume Blender allows that) and render the animation into 2d pictures. The game uses BMP pics, so you render either directly into BMP or convert to BMP later (with a normal 2d gfx software).