• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

OathOfFealty

Captain
2 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
unitcolorcompendium.com
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
EDIT 08/16/18

The Unit Color Compendium Project has come to an end.

I am not a person to write a lot but a few things have to be said.

THE STORY

This project began in around October 2016 when a first idea of displaying „some“ color schemes arose. Quickly the idea expanded but only when I first did the layout for the Capellan Confederation a minor glimpse of the sheer scale of this project was to be seen. In the following months the project grew immensely and it daunted on me that I never had the slightest idea of how many units there actually were in Battletech. And still I hadn’t seen it all because every time I thought we had them all @Justin Kase or someone else found more and more and more. Eventually, I had to finalize the layout and not admit any more additions to it. Hence the book is still missing a couple of units. Still, I believe we managed the impossible and accumulated an extensive and vast source of accurate and complete information for all BattleTech enthusiasts.

A lot of work has gone into sorting out units and making sense to conflicting and confusing unit name issues. For instance some unit incorporate a „the“ while others don’t. But still the latter are listed with a „the“. Sometimes there were name changes for the same unit. So some units came with 2-3 names but were still the same unit. And so on.

In the beginning I made some mistakes as it didn’t occur to me that some of the listed units were from pre-Mech eras. After a while of contemplating I decided that I will leave them in the book since I see it as inspirational and do not have the necessary drawings at hand to display infantry or submarine units.

I found it to be very fascinating to learn so much about camouflage. Hence, I thought it to be a good idea to incorporate passages from Wikipedia into the book for conviniance reasons.

When working on the project I realized how „black and white“ the BattleTech Universe has been to me without knowing it. Sure, Kell Hounds were black and red but I never thought of the Wolf Alpha Galaxy of being mainly green. Even though I might have been reading it somewhere. Other units, actually plenty of them, had no color scheme at all. The universe in that regard felt almost bleak. So while laboring away, colorizing Mechs and such, I felt more and more like I am adding color to an old black and white film and thus seeing the BT universe in a totally different and new light.

I didn’t plan initially to do so much myself. However, the project has such a dimension that I just wasn’t able to find enough „manpower“ to work on it. That said, I want to highlight the outstanding work of @Flamestalker and @Horus who’ve, not once, let me down and who’ve labored away on this project from the beginning to the very end. I can’t thank them enough for their efforts. Most of all they encouraged me with their display of enthusiasm to continue with the project.

Over the last couple of months I found myself thinking about extending the project by creating a website. This would be a whole new adventure which would include countless more hours of work. In that regard I want to ask all of you to spread this project, message and tweet as much as you can and give me feedback on the book and if you would like to see a website or not. Write a comment on youtube, twitter, the PDX forum, discord or deviantArt. Or wherever else you like.

Thank you very much in advance.

Please remember that you can see and download available artwork of the book, which was made by myself, from my deviantArt site as well.

Cheers!

LK

NUMBERS

An estimated amount of 5000+ hours of work of all contributors combined.
That’s 208 days of 24/7 work on the book.
2 years of continues and daily work on the project by myself.
My spread sheet has currently 1418 rows.
That means that there’s probably around 1370 of known units and sub-units (not all sub-units are counted since they don’t have a mentioned colors scheme anywhere and no one has made up one for them)
Horus has created around 230 unit logos.
I’ve submitted around 517 unit logos, paint schemes and repaints.
Flamestalker has submitted around 100 repaints and paint schemes.
There’s around 650 known paint schemes (including the ones from Camospecs)

THANK YOU

Thank you very much for everyone who involved themselves by actively contributing to this project. Namely these people are:

@JustinKase
@Hatchy
@Flamestalker
@Dav
@GrayMouser
@Horus
@Michael F
@TitaniumBurn
@Prussian Havoc
@Xinxspuz
@Aishen

Some of you got their personal mercenary Unit into the book. Others came in too late for that kind of special „thank you“ and I am sorry for that. I wish I could’ve done more.

Special Thank You for letting me use their artwork and contributing passively:

Odanan
Viereth
SpOoKy777 (spooky777.deviantart.com)
JPArbiter
Deadborder
Flyingdebris
Piranha Games
Harebrained Schemes
King Phoenix
Sightsonyou

MISSING UNITS

As much as it hurts to admit. Even this version of the book is not 100% complete. There are still some units missing for various reasons. Some units came in so late that it was impossible to incorporate them without causing a major amount of effort reworking the book. It would’ve been different with a website but that’s another story.

P.S. Although I've done my best ... I'm sure you'll find plenty of misspellings and maybe errors.

Last edited:
Any of you mods know if I can post links to the UCC here without trouble or copyright issues?

IIRC, discord is allowed. If you have concerns of that nature why dont you just link to Discord.

Find the work progress on our unofficial discord channel ... #UCC
BTClogo2.jpg

https://discord.gg/5Uw7BKz

Currently we are in the process of adding unit insignia and the rest of the missing repaints.

Last edited:
Guys, you can still give your feedback!

Let us know if you like what we do.

What's your favorite part about the UCC?

Constructive criticism is also welcome.

Cheers!

Hello!
I would like to ask if I may use the colours you have indicated in painting up my Mechs for tabletop gaming?
After looking through online sources, this is the BEST I have ever seen and very clear indication of the unit colours as well as the insignias for each unit.
WOW!
I am of the Clan Nova Cat.
Ever since I started playing anything Battletech, Clan Nova Cat have always been and will always be my favourites in the Battletech universe .
I have only accumulated enough Mechs for a Star of each plus Supporting units at this time.Though If you do approve my use of the colour schemes of the Alpha, Novastar and Xi Galaxies. Could I possible ask a bigger favour and get the insignias for each Galaxy. I would like to eventually print off decals and place on the units for better identification.

Thanks again and WOW, what a great job on the Unit Color Compendium!!!

allaKAZAAM
Untitled.png
;)

Hello!
I would like to ask if I may use the colours you have indicated in painting up my Mechs for tabletop gaming?
After looking through online sources, this is the BEST I have ever seen and very clear indication of the unit colours as well as the insignias for each unit.
WOW!
I am of the Clan Nova Cat.
Ever since I started playing anything Battletech, Clan Nova Cat have always been and will always be my favourites in the Battletech universe .
I have only accumulated enough Mechs for a Star of each plus Supporting units at this time.Though If you do approve my use of the colour schemes of the Alpha, Novastar and Xi Galaxies. Could I possible ask a bigger favour and get the insignias for each Galaxy. I would like to eventually print off decals and place on the units for better identification.

Thanks again and WOW, what a great job on the Unit Color Compendium!!!

allaKAZAAM
View attachment 350932
;)

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you like it so much.

Please, by all means go ahead and use the paint schemes. No permission needed. That is the purpose of the book. To give ideas and inspiration to all Bt enthusiasts may they play TT, MWO or BT2018.

If you like, share your results with us.

My Clan is and will always be the Steel Vipers - ever since my Mechforce days.

The Galaxy Logos that you want are all official. So you should be able to find them on Sarna.net. Some were colored for this book by @Flamestalker. For copyright reasons I can't/won't share them here. Got to be careful. If you want some that where fan made I can talk to the people. It is usually indicated in the description text. OR if it is done by myself you can find It on my DeviantArt site. Can't post the link - just search for "OathOfFealty".

Thanks again.

Cheers!

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you like it so much.

Please, by all means go ahead and use the paint schemes. No permission needed. That is the purpose of the book. To give ideas and inspiration to all Bt enthusiasts may they play TT, MWO or BT2018.

If you like, share your results with us.

My Clan is and will always be the Steel Vipers - ever since my Mechforce days.

The Galaxy Logos that you want are all official. So you should be able to find them on Sarna.net. Some were colored for this book by @Flamestalker. For copyright reasons I can't/won't share them here. Got to be careful. If you want some that where fan made I can talk to the people. It is usually indicated in the description text. OR if it is done by myself you can find It on my DeviantArt site. Can't post the link - just search for "OathOfFealty".

Thanks again.

Cheers!
THANKS!
Those 3 Clan Nova Cat Galaxies will be my paint schemes.
Sure, I will post pics when I am done, though not sure if the Clan Nova Cat & the Galaxies Units Emblems will be on the Mechs at this time. Finding it hard to get Decal Paper at this time.
Just finished looking at your "Deviant Art" page, some very nice artwork!
Thanks again for allowing me to use the color schemes, and also to your co-creators too!

allaKAZAAM

An excellent and definitive work of Mech Art. :bow: Thank you one and ALL! : )

An excellent and definitive work of Mech Art. :bow: Thank you one and ALL! : )
You're part of it! Thank YOU!
Thank you so much for this publication! :) It's good to see real dedication and hard work on such a quality fan-made product! Cheers!
Thank you! Glad you like it!